Emulator for mobile games

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kuruc
Level 1
Level 1

Emulator for mobile games

Post by Kuruc »

Can you recommend an emulator to run my Android mobile phone games on my Linux Mint desktop?
I am 66 and my eyes are killing me looking at the small screen for a long time.
diyliberty
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Emulator for mobile games

Post by diyliberty »

I just finished trying different options to play Android games on my LM desktop. I created an Android x86 virtual machine in Virtualbox and then Qemu KVM. In both the Google Play Store would randomly crash and the few times I successfully installed a game, the games would crash on launch. Then I installed Win11 in a VM and installed Bluestacks in the VM. That did not work either.

What finally worked was installing installing Windows Subsystem for Android in the Win11 VM. That allowed me to install and run android games. It is CPU intensive going that way. I have a Ryzen 7900x3d with 8 virtual cores assigned to the VM. Playing a 2D Android game would use 70-85% of the 8 core processing power the entire time the game was running.

If there is a better solution out there, I am all ears.
diyliberty
Level 3
Level 3

Post by diyliberty »

I wanted to add that if your goal is to use a larger display, you might be able to plug a usb to hdmi (or dvi) adapter into your phone. Doing so will allow you to use a monitor or TV as your display. Then use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse for your inputs. You will have to verify that your phone has this capability. In my experience all of my Samsung devices support hdmi video output.

I do this every day at work. I plug my phone into an HDMI adapter to my monitor and use a BT keyboard and mouse. It lets me watch videos, play games, read person emails etc. on my phone while being completely off of my work network which is closely monitored.

One drawback is that it will slowly drain your phone battery. You should still have several hours of use before having to recharge.
Kuruc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kuruc »

Thank you for the replies.
The installing of a Windows Subsystem for Android is way over my head.
My 3 yr old LG phone has only one USB-C charging port. So does it have a video out feature in that port?
Then a USB-C to HDMI cable can work or do I need an adapter?.

Thank you
diyliberty
Level 3
Level 3

Post by diyliberty »

You are going to have to check if your specific phone supports video output over USB-C. Some LG models support it and others do not.

https://en.everybodywiki.com/List_of_de ... over_USB-C
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

Anbox is abandoned, succeeded by Waydroid.
Waydroid requires Wayland and it can be run on Mint only with the use of Weston.
Installation is tricky. Then, there will follow the uphill battle with workarounds, file permissions etc to make some games playable.

Suggested use of an adapter if possible sounds much easier and uncomplicated for OP.
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

It looks like a proprietary Windows only emulator.
Launching an android game on a Windows PC emulator via a Linux compatibility layer... quite a fancy way to play.
julienester wrote:I am using <redacted> for pubg and cod
Have you installed and utilized <redacted> with success on Linux?
Last edited by Moem on Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link and name of irrelevant software removed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

MiZoG wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:30 pm Have you installed and utilized <redacted> with success on Linux?
No answer will be coming from that member, they were a spammer and have been banned.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
emilyomacon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by emilyomacon »

Absolutely, I feel you! I'm 60 and have similar issues when playing bingo for cash online. I recommend trying Anbox to run Android games on your Linux Mint desktop. It's user-friendly and might save your eyes from squinting at that tiny screen. I understand the strain on your eyes, so this should make gaming more comfortable. Give it a shot, and happy gaming on the big screen!
diyliberty
Level 3
Level 3

Post by diyliberty »

I just wanted to give a little bit of an update on the info I posted.

Microsoft announced that they are pulling support for Android Subsystem for Windows. It will work for another year and then it will be removed in an update.

I was able to get BlueStacks working in a Win11 VM. This is using Qemu KVM for the VMware. I went into the Win11 VM Windows Features and turn on Hyper-V and Virtual Machine support. I was able to install and play games using the Pie 64 and Android 11 instances in BlueStacks. You create new instances using the Instance Manager. BlueStacks had to be started in Administrative mode to work. It is not exactly a very "safe" way of doing things but it is inside of a VM that I don't use for anything else so I don't care too much about it.

Return to “Gaming”