Hi. New to the forums.

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chipsendype
Level 1
Level 1

Hi. New to the forums.

Post by chipsendype »

Hi there.
I've been using Mint for 4 years now. started with 20.1 Ulyssa in 2020 when I got sick and tired of Microsoft forcing updates and
requirements. I realized how they were bifurcating files and tucking them away in 20 different places, so deleted files were never truly gone.
Shady. Not to mention the telemetry. "Sure, help yourself, Bill". Then I realized how big tech in general was doing the same thing and
influencing/censoring the web. I decided I'd rather be a spider in the web than a moth.

I used 20.1 right up until a couple weeks ago when I upgraded my drive to an SSD and did a fresh install of 21.3 Virginia.
I love Linux Mint. Tried ElementaryOS, Manjaro, PureOS and none of them run like Mint.
I'm no coding/terminal guy. I run heavy equipment, build houses (30 years). I've learned enough to build from source/github and that's about it.
I learned a couple crash coarse #!/bin/bash script things, but have not made the connection to apply them to my own system.
A couple projects I would to work on are:
1. Creating a new defined frame definition for ID3v2 tags for new funtionality across music/mp3 players.
2. Trying to build my own personal Alexa with Ollama AI, pocketsphynx and eSpeak...no luck yet.

Anyway...glad to be on here to take my GNU/Linux experience higher.
-chip
'It all goes back into the box at the end of the game' - John Ortberg
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Hi. New to the forums.

Post by motoryzen »

On January 8, 2021, Linux Mint 20.1 'Ulyssa' was released
Sorry but that version 20.1 wasn't launched until just over 3 years ago.

Mint 20 ( no .1 number version) didn't launch until around summer time 2020. That was the version that let me finally ditch Windows 100%.

Regardless. welcome :) Happy to read you've become comfy in the Mint world.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to the forum.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hello chipsendype,
Welcome to the Linux Mint Forum, Glad you are enjoying the journey. :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
chipsendype
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chipsendype »

deepakdeshp wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:18 pm Welcome to the forum.
Thank you.
chipsendype
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chipsendype »

kc1di wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:58 pm Hello chipsendype,
Welcome to the Linux Mint Forum, Glad you are enjoying the journey. :)
Thank you. It has it's ups and down during the learning curve. Some yelling at the screen. lol
But after the waves settle down, it's been nothing but smooth sailing. I love the control and stability of Linux over
the "others".
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

I recommend if you haven't already...practice using Timeshift to create snapshots ( preferably targeting a separate drive...but at least worst case..targeting a separate partition)

Timeshift is to Linux as System Restore is to Microsoft Windows..only Timeshift ..actually works ;), Legit.

Foxclone, the main dev AndyMH is an active forum member here who has proven very helpful and friendly to many over the years, for System image backups and Full drive clones... ( foxclone.org to download the .iso file , grab a spare usb 3.0 thumb drive, format it to fat32, and use Usb Image Writer = already installed in Mint, just open main menu and type/search for it = to prep that thumb drive with the foxclone image file to make it bootable.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
jdg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jdg »

75 years old retiree here, worked as an network designer, then network engineer; mostly using Cisco hardware and software .
No MS since here 1998. In 1996 I started using Linux Red Hat, SUSE 4.3, then Mandrake, Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Mint. Debian at work between 2000 and 2012. Then at home used Arch till last year, then Fedora and Debian. Two weeks ago I installed LM on my asus laptop and my Intel NUC desktop. Yesterday I installed LM on an old 2013 iMac. The most challenging thing was setting up the bluetooth keyboard and magic mouse. I had to do it from the CLI as it didn't work from the graphical Network Manager. Now I am thinking to replace the 1T HDD with a SSD as the HDD is a bit slow to boot from it and also to boot firefox. BTW love with a passion Linux :D

Return to “Introduce Yourself”