Linux mint install on Imac

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cbsrey
Level 1
Level 1

Linux mint install on Imac

Post by cbsrey »

hi everyone,

Im trying (very VERY unsuccessfully) to install Linux Mint on an old Imac. I just hit the incompatibility issue with the graphic card, aka black screen after trying to install from a usb drive and again after initializing the installer in compatibility mode.

im following this post
viewtopic.php?t=385096

The first answer by Reddog1 seems to be the THE ONE. Alas, in my case there is a missing part. Right after the command "sudo chroot /mnt" I get as answer "root@mint:/#"

Can anyone help as for what is the command to type? OR, another way to edit the grub and add the nomodeset?
mango_McG
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux mint install on Imac

Post by mango_McG »

This is a common problem with these older macs.

See my post on this here: [viewtopic.php?t=415131]

This was about getting the iMac to boot in BIOS mode instead of EFI.

The main problem with relying on NOMODESET is poor video performance and the fact that the brightness control doesn't work. So at night you are staring at a very bright screen. If you're using a separate monitor it's not a problem. In my opinion it's a work-around rather than a fix.

I tried using a install usb yesterday with LMDE6 and it boots to a desktop without selecting compatibility mode, and everything (apart from no brightness control) worked OK including some youtube videos. Not sure what happens on the actual install. You might want to try this as another option.

Return to “Installation & Boot”