[Solved] Mint boot broken after installing Linux Light to external drive

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BanAnna2019
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Mint boot broken after installing Linux Light to external drive

Post by BanAnna2019 »

Hello everybody. :D
This is my first post for a long time. I used to have another account many years ago, but do not seem to get into it anymore. There probably is a solution to my problem here somewhere, but I do not want to try something and then mess up things more then they already are.

While I have been using Linux for many years, I have a very limited knowledge of the command line. I practically have to look up everything on the Internet.
Laptop is Lenovo T460s. I am running Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.3.
My laptop is dual booting with Windows 10 and Linux Mint on one hard-drive. I have updates, Internet access, disabled on Windows 10.
I only plan to use Windows with a few programs I am not able to use on Linux.
2 TB hard-drive. Windows is 250 GB and was installed first. Linux Mint 300 GB, installed second. Rest is storage.
Problem: I tried to create a persistent Linux Light installation on an external drive. I created a live USB of Linux Light, rebooted into this and installed to an external SSD.
After I removed the external hard-drive with the Linux Light installation, I was unable to boot into my main OS, Linux Mint and got the following message:
GNU GRUB version 2.06
Minimal Bash-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completion. Anywhere else TAB lists possible device or file completions.

grub>
grub>
I can get into Mint again when I attach the external Linux Light. I then get a normal boot screen showing Linux Light as my main OS. This also gives me the option to boot into Mint. Once there I realised that I was not able to see my storage partition or my Windows 10 anymore.
Windows 10 does not seem to be affected. I can boot into it through BIOS, even when the external Linux Light is not attached.
I am currently writing this from my Linux Mint installation.

I ran "sudo parted -l; lsblk -f" both with the external Linux Light attached and without it.
Unfortunately I do not seem to be able to upload the results as I have no option to attach anything from my computer here.
I hope somebody will be able to help me regardless.
I have not been on any forum for years, so please excuse any mistakes I have been making in this post.
I actually am quiet desperate. I urgently need this laptop.

Thanks Heaps In Advance.
Last edited by BanAnna2019 on Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
BanAnna2019
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint boot broken after installing Linux Light to external drive

Post by BanAnna2019 »

I was wrong about my Linux Mint not recognising the other partitions on the drive. My Mint still does recognise the other partitions.
diabolicbg
Level 6
Level 6

Post by diabolicbg »

Welcome BanAnna2019!
This is just an idea, I don't know for sure what went wrong.
- Make an installation flash with LM.
- Boot the computerwith this flash drive WITHOUT TURNING ON THE EXTERNAL DISK!
- Select Boot-repair from the live session menu and start it.
- Restart the computer.
After this operation, the LM should boot. If it does, open Terminal and enter the command:
sudo update-grub
This will create an OS selection menu on the computer itself.
Restart the computer.
- You see, in this world there are two kinds of people, my friend, those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. - "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Behind every faulty computer there is a user who did nothing...
BanAnna2019
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BanAnna2019 »

Many, many thanks diabolicbg.
I only got round doing something about this today and it worked!
Incredibly happy about this. I will never again test anything new on this laptop. I have an old laptop that I was planning to use for things like this and then didn't. Lol.
diabolicbg
Level 6
Level 6

Re: [Solved] Mint boot broken after installing Linux Light to external drive

Post by diabolicbg »

The pleasure is mine. Glad you made it! :D
- You see, in this world there are two kinds of people, my friend, those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. - "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Behind every faulty computer there is a user who did nothing...

Return to “Installation & Boot”