Seeking Help Customizing & Sizing on a 13.3 Inch Screen

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
flowingfire
Level 1
Level 1

Seeking Help Customizing & Sizing on a 13.3 Inch Screen

Post by flowingfire »

A Warm Hello-
I just bought a new (used) laptop with a 13.3" screen at 1920x1080 resolution, and I was hoping for some help customizing it. I think I've gotten the settings at a reasonably good place in Cinnamon, but I've had far more difficulty with a 13.3" than any other screen size. I"m hoping you can help me figure out how to create custom sizes for the desktop icons, especially, because "Normal" is too small. "Large" is too big. (See pictures.) Also, within software, the upper-right buttons among others get really tiny. I'd love to know how to fix that too. Side scroll bars are really thin, too.

Here's what I found and tried:
1) Switching to 1600x900 resolution makes it look the most attractive with the least amount of work, but I decided against this option because I want to take full advantage of my full-HD screen-- especially for video editing.
2) Fractional scaling to 125% at 1920x1080 looks good, too; but, unfortunately, it breaks a lot of software that has bizarre scaling issues. There are so many programs that are too small to read or scale incorrectly-- not to mention screw with the mouse pointer size-- that I can't use this setting.
3) I finally decided to keep it at 1920x1080 resolution at 100% (normal), adjusting font sizes in CInnamon. I have everything set to 1.2 "text scaling factor." I set most font sizes at 11pt, with the title bar at 12. This solves the problem of broken software when scaling and looks great most of the time. All I have to do is change default zoom settings in software like LibreOffice and Firefox. The problem, as you can see in the pictures below, is that in-software icon sizes are tiny. Desktop icon sizes are huge, because there's not a good option between "normal" and "large."

I would love to know what you think I might do. (My biggest issue is that the corner buttons in all software are way small.)

spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Seeking Help Customizing & Sizing on a 13.3 Inch Screen

Post by spamegg »

in-software icon sizes are tiny.
Those are controlled by the apps themselves, unfortunately. Not much Mint can do.

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”