GNOME DE on LM 21.3

Show off your customized Linux Mint desktop!
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
joesplace
Level 2
Level 2

GNOME DE on LM 21.3

Post by joesplace »

WOW - just love LM! I installed GNOME DE on LM 21.3 and it runs very good.
desktop.jpg
joesplace
Level 2
Level 2

Re: GNOME DE on LM 21.3

Post by joesplace »

Well, after using GNOME DE for several days I have one major observation. ALL updates require a restart. Can't live with that so has anyone had similar experience?
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

joesplace wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:19 pm Well, after using GNOME DE for several days I have one major observation. ALL updates require a restart. Can't live with that so has anyone had similar experience?
I installed Debian 12 Gnome on my main laptop a couple of weeks ago. The first update after installing restarted itself. That doesn't bother me per se but that was the only time it's done that. It's quite possible that installing a 2nd desktop is causing problems, that often happens. Unfortunately they're not easy to fix.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

If you like Gnome, install a distribution that does justice to Gnome.
Mint is not tailored to Gnome, plain Gnome packages you obviously installed are kind of out-of-date unlike home-brew Cinnamon, and GDM, Gnome's display server, will break many things Mint-related.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

and GDM, Gnome's display server, will break many things Mint-related.
Like what?
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

The most obvious with regard to GDM: Guest session & multimedia controls on lock-screen. I cannot see on my Debian box any language selection for keyboard input either on the greeter, neat feature added lately on Mint. And that's scratching the surface. I'm not going to install Gnome on my Mint system to find out what will happen to applets, other extensions, system settings, my panel notification area etc. No, no...

We should not limit this to GDM or Gnome Shell or whatever. The whole idea of installing Gnome on top of Mint Cinnamon is bad: losing the OOB Mint experience and starting an uphill battle to gain similar or equivalent experience on Gnome. It is not an enticing prospect and makes getting support on a help forum a tad harder.

Return to “Screenshots”