USB DAC taking volume level control focus

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Tom Parkes
Level 1
Level 1

USB DAC taking volume level control focus

Post by Tom Parkes »

I have a USB Hub with a built-in DAC , and use my motherboards (much higher quality) Built in audio's Line Out, with an audio switcher (headphone/speakers) plugged in at all times to the back of my PC.

When ever I plug in (or boot with it plugged in) the USB audio device (PCM2902) takes over audio volume level control/focus. (The output device does not switch) This creates a scenario where the volume level control is no longer paired with the playing audio (output device), and one must then manually open the sound settings and click on the output device currently being used (also known as "Fallback"?) to focus the volume level control properly.

I believe this to be an issue/bug, as I can not see this as reasonable, expected behavior. As I'm not sure where the issue stems from(upstream?), or the particular Linux Mint projects such as Cinnamon that might be at play, I'm not reporting on the issue tracker .
I don't think this is a bug in `cinnamon-settings sound` that appears to be a fork of "PulseAudio Volume Control 5.0" `pavucontrol`, a more comprehensive but less maintained utility, or `pulseaudio` it's self. So I'm hoping for some insight.

There are a lot of other sound related threads & guides on the internet, most of these are about setting the default device, or disabling unused devices, which could very well work around this bug. Normally I would link them for reference, but do to Forum Rules, Guidelines, and Policy, Section II - Technical Guidelines, [14] Posting links "Do not post bare links. All links should include an explanation or excerpt unless its meaning is clear from the context." this is prohibitively too hard.

Below, I'll link the machine & software states of my PC from various commands (that I saw others on this forum using), using Pastebin for unclutterred'nes
aplay -lLv, inxi -Fxz, pacmd list-sinks, & a picture.

Return to “Other topics”