How to remove an item from the start menu in Xfce

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
beng
Level 1
Level 1

How to remove an item from the start menu in Xfce

Post by beng »

With reference to this thread (now locked so I can't reply there), I had a similar problem:

I Installed PDF Studio 2023 and then uninstalled it but the menu item for it remained in the Xfce start menu.

Accessories>Menu Editor / MenuLibre was no help as the menu item did not appear in the MenuLibre interface although it was present in the Start menu.

Finally I found a way to remove the menu item:

1. In the start menu, right-click on the defunct menu item and select "Hide Application".
A pop-up box with a warning will appear, read the warning text to find the path to the menu item file. In my case it was in
/home/<username>/.local/share/applications/

2. Close the warning without hiding the menu item (cancel the request to hide it).

3. Use the file manager to navigate to the directory where the menu item file is. Delete that file. Job done.
diam0ndkiller
Level 2
Level 2

Re: How to remove an item from the start menu in Xfce

Post by diam0ndkiller »

Err yes, that's a solution. If it's all done for you, what is your question? Please ask more specific or put [SOLVED] into the subject of your original post. :)
Linux Mint Xfce 21 | CalyxOS 5.4.1 | Raspberry Pi OS 11

Return to “Xfce”