Why does Mint Mate start up so slow?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
doubledragon5
Level 1
Level 1

Why does Mint Mate start up so slow?

Post by doubledragon5 »

I recently installed Mint-Mate but the start up time is soooooo slow.. It takes 1 min 24 sec to reach the DE.. My windows 11 takes 25 secs. Now I have unchecked items in startup app that I do not need. This should have improved the over all startup time, but it did not.. To be fair I have noticed the same thing with other Linux distros and this is crazy.. I have plenty of Ram 16 GB plus running AMD Ryzen 2600 6 core.
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Why does Mint Mate start up soooooooo slow

Post by MiZoG »

Mint Mate does not generally boot slower than Windows or at least that slower.
Is there anything odd, do you suspect anything in your installation, hardware, system configuration?
In my experience new users many times complain about system startup duration on Linux because they have simply installed it in a slower disk (hdd) than their Windows OS. We cannot know about your case without information on your specific setup.

Post your system specs: System Reports --> System Information --> Press "Copy" on the bottom right --> Paste here.

Post the output of systemd-analyze blame (paste this command into a terminal). Format the output using code tags (select the </> symbol in your topic/reply toolbar).

Have you made additional changes to your partitions post-installation? Add the output of lsblk -f and cat /etc/fstab.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

Also windows boot time is "artificially quickened", because of fast boot, the machine is not actually shut down, but in some state of hibernation, if you turn window fastboot off you'll likely see a big difference too.

How much ram you have makes little to no difference either (unless too small, say less than 4), most important hardware factor is type of HDD, is it a HDD or SSD. That boot time sounds about right if it is in fact a HDD.

A standard install of Linux Mint on an SSD starts in about 30 seconds, the actual time from pushing the on button, to a full Desk Top. The command line reports less time than that, but using a watch, it is about 30 seconds.

My command reports, about half of the "actual" time.

Code: Select all

rick@t420:~$ systemd-analyze
Startup finished in 7.145s (kernel) + 9.509s (userspace) = 16.655s 
graphical.target reached after 9.501s in userspace
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Yup, if you haven't turned off Fast Boot in WIndows comparisons are meaningless. You should really turn off fast boot if you;re dual booting anyway.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Zara Spook
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Zara Spook »

FWIW, Mate on my Dell Latitude E6430 boots up slower by about 15 seconds than Windows 8 on my Asus X441B, even though the Dell is a faster machine. But when you consider Linux will not be updating unless I tell it to, unlike Windows, and it shuts down a lot quicker, I can live with those lost 15 seconds. Windows update is the main reason I finally kicked Windows to the curb, if I still had Windows 7, or even XP, I might still be using Windows.
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 1000 »

Linux is a different system and may work differently.

There are many factors that influence startup time in Linux.

- Enabling the BIOS / UEFI logo causes the computer to boot later.

- Fast boot
Fast boot in Windows is a feature that allows your computer to start up faster by reducing the time it takes for the system to boot up. Fast boot achieves this by saving some of the system information in a file during shutdown, which is then read during startup to speed up the process. This feature is available in Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10.
It's a bit like the sleep mode that exists in laptops.

- Systemd
Services are started randomly, which makes the system start faster, but randomly.
Some services must start in the correct order. Otherwise, the service will start will run every moment until it finds what it needs.
You can check with GUI like Stacer to check , but terminal is better because you can sort.

Warning:
Some services are required, so you modify them at your own risk.

- Login enabled causes the graphical environment to start later.

- The startup programs run at the end, so the system may be a bit slow.
Control Center --> Startup Programs

Warning:
Some services are required, so you modify them at your own risk.

- Bugs can slow down your system terribly. Check your system logs from time to time.
About logs: https://github.com/tele1/LinuxTutorial/ ... in/Menu.md

- As mentioned above, the type of disk ,
as well as the condition of the disk can slow down the system.

- RAM errors can slow down your system and cause system startup problems.
I don't know why some systems perform better and others worse.
Maybe it's just a coincidence and it depends on which RAM stick they use.
At least I noticed such a strange case between two Linux distributions.

- Animations may create the illusion that the application has already started.
For example " splash screen ".

- It was found that some services start unnecessarily at system startup.
Because they may be launched while the computer is in use.
E.g. Checking for system updates, maintenance.
They are usually added to "crontab" or to "systemd list-timers"
And usually services start at a specific time.

Check system manuals and wiki.archlinux.org to know more.
Especially about systemd
- https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Systemd
- https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Improv ... ot_process

TIP.
- Some services may be difficult to disable, but you can uninstall the packages that create them.
- Firejail sandbox may be lighter than another.

Edited
- Even using SWAP instead of RAM can slow down startup time.
- Too little or too big space/memory can slow down your system.
For example systemd may have a certain number of places for system logs.
This is usually saved in one file.
Reading and writing takes longer if the file is larger.

Edited
- Even the number of drivers can slow down the system
- Compiling for specific computer hardware may improve application performance
(You don't want to wait for the system to finish compiling.)
- Some applications may use startup. Thanks to this, the opening time of a specific program window is immediate.

Edited
- Additionally, after updating the kernel, the system may start slower.
But only once for each update.
Because external modules/drivers are compiled for the current kernel.
scjet45
Level 4
Level 4

Post by scjet45 »

On average, Mint MATE is no slower than any other fully loaded Linux/GNU-based DE, unless of course that particular DE is completely stripped. The only thing faster is a (terminal-based server) Console, or a WM like Openbox, or a tiling i3, ..., and even then.?
Unix rules still apply, you can have convenience, eye-candy, and security but it all comes at a cost of performance. but if you just want fast performance then just pick one.
;)
MATE 21.3 | Lenovo Legion 5 17ACH6
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Why does Mint Mate start up so slow?

Post by 1000 »

On average, Mint MATE is no slower than any other fully loaded Linux/GNU-based DE
I can confirm. Minor differences should not be noticeable if the hardware is new.

- Minor differences in apps may also result from the
* language ( Compiled languages are usually faster than scripted languages )
* and libraries used. ( Newer GTK is nicer, but also requires more hardware resources )
( Support for older libraries is often dropped,
so unfortunately developers sometimes have to rewrite their own applications to newer and heavier apps. )
* application source code ( The code may be written efficiently or worse. )
* the application may require newer hardware
( Long ago, I once noticed that Firefox uses less resources on newer hardware.
Optimized for newer hardware.
Today it is built differently. Each tab is a new process and this may consume more hardware resources. )

Linux distributions are constantly evolving and allow you to change the system at will if you have a lot of time and programming skills.
- However, this is not easy and is not recommended because it can damage the system.
For example
- A long time ago, Ubuntu used GRUB legacy, today it is GRUB 2
You can check table of list https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Arch_b ... comparison
( I don't see there Burg )
- A long time ago, Ubuntu used the init manager and something else, today it is systemd
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Init_system
- A long time ago, Ubuntu used GDM display manager, today are many display managers in linux distributions.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Display_manager
- A long time ago, Ubuntu used Gnome desktop environment, today are many desktop environments in linux distributions.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Window_manager
- You can even compile the kernel yourself. Before compiling, you can choose settings which will be efficient for your hardware.
And nowadays we also have various user-created kernel modifications https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Kernel

Just use and enjoy. :D

Return to “MATE”