Getting dual boot working with some windows problem

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
macosxp

Getting dual boot working with some windows problem

Post by macosxp »

I tried installing Linux Mint 8 as a dual-boot on a Dell Inspiron 9400, but at the partition screen, after I set it to install along side Windows, the progress bar just wouldn't move. Then when trying to boot into Windows, it gave an error about wanting to reinstall \system32\hal.dll and it won't boot. So I tried installing Linux again, and it worked this time, but XP is still asking for hal.dll.

I was thinking about going into recovery console with an xp install disk and restoring hal.dll or repairing boot.ini or maybe fixmbr or some kind of chkdsk, but I'm not sure what to do and I don't want to end up with 0 working operating systems.

How can I get Windows working right again, preferably without messing up Linux Mint?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Getting dual boot working with some windows problem

Post by viking777 »

Does Linux see your Windows partition? (see if it is listed under 'Places' in the left hand panel of Nautilus, if it is there then click on it to mount it).

If it does see it then open the system32 subfolder and see if hal.dll is actually there.

If it is not then you could probably use Linux to copy it from your XP installation disk and place it back where it should be.

I would be surprised if it is that simple though :(
macosxp

Post by macosxp »

viking777 wrote:Does Linux see your Windows partition? (see if it is listed under 'Places' in the left hand panel of Nautilus, if it is there then click on it to mount it).

If it does see it then open the system32 subfolder and see if hal.dll is actually there.

If it is not then you could probably use Linux to copy it from your XP installation disk and place it back where it should be.

I would be surprised if it is that simple though :(
Yes it does see XP, and I already tried replacing it with a hal.dll file I downloaded from the web. I think there's a probelm with boot.ini or something.

What if I do a system repair installation for XP? Would that fix it without harming my files and programs, whilst leaving GRUB as the bootloader? Or at least while leaving my Linux Mint partition alone and the ability to follow a couple easy steps to put it back?
viking777

Post by viking777 »

macosxp wrote:Yes it does see XP, and I already tried replacing it with a hal.dll file I downloaded from the web. I think there's a probelm with boot.ini or something.

What if I do a system repair installation for XP? Would that fix it without harming my files and programs, whilst leaving GRUB as the bootloader? Or at least while leaving my Linux Mint partition alone and the ability to follow a couple easy steps to put it back?
It might be the only way to go now, although I would be tempted to run chkdsk first (though I doubt that will solve it). I think the problem with a system repair will be that it will replace grub. OK you will then have to use a live CD to replace grub again. I used to be able to tell you how to do that, but since the advent of grub2 I am no longer confident that I know myself - somebody will do though, and this link might help.

http://members.iinet.net/%7Eherman546/p ... stall_GRUB

Just for my own interest, you say you 'replaced' hal.dll. Was it actually missing? Or did you elect to replace it just see if a different version would work?

When I first got my present laptop I had exactly the same problem as yourself, after resizing the Windows partition it wouldn't boot (VIsta in my case). The repair option was what fixed it for me but I had to reinstall grub to get Linux back. I think it is something to do with it no longer recognising the geometry of the new partition it is on but don't quote me!
macosxp

Post by macosxp »

viking777 wrote:It might be the only way to go now, although I would be tempted to run chkdsk first (though I doubt that will solve it). I think the problem with a system repair will be that it will replace grub. OK you will then have to use a live CD to replace grub again. I used to be able to tell you how to do that, but since the advent of grub2 I am no longer confident that I know myself - somebody will do though, and this link might help.

http://members.iinet.net/%7Eherman546/p ... stall_GRUB

Just for my own interest, you say you 'replaced' hal.dll. Was it actually missing? Or did you elect to replace it just see if a different version would work?

When I first got my present laptop I had exactly the same problem as yourself, after resizing the Windows partition it wouldn't boot (VIsta in my case). The repair option was what fixed it for me but I had to reinstall grub to get Linux back. I think it is something to do with it no longer recognising the geometry of the new partition it is on but don't quote me!
Yeah, I replaced it, it was still there, but I figured who knows. Normally after a partition and all, I only have to run chkdsk and it's all fine. But this time it kind of messed up on the partitioning the first time which caused this error.

So, if someone can provide clear, step-by-step instructions on what to do to get into system repair, what to expect to see, what to type in etc, and exactly how a novice could get their old grub2 working, I'd love to see it.

If it matters, this windows xp install disk was something I downloaded off the internet, the laptop doesn't have a restore disk. It has a restore partition but I'm not sure if it works or how to use it...

And can you tell me if the restore installation deleted any of your files or programs? I want my XP safe the way it was, only fixing the system whatnot.
Leppie

Post by Leppie »

there's many guides on how to use the xp recovery console, i've never used it so wouldn't be able to tell you what to expect except for that it's most probably a command line interface.

to restore grub2 (i presume you installed Mint Helena), you need the livecd and you need to know which partition your Mint system is in. for this example i'll use the partition most first time users install linux into when dual booting. booting off the livecd, open a terminal and issue the following commands:

Code: Select all

sudo mount /dev/sda5 /mnt
sudo grub-install --recheck --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda
if Mint is not installed in sda5, amend accordingly. please note that the second line states sda and not sda5, this is not a typo but it indicates the mbr of the first hard drive.

if you do not know which partition Mint is installed into, please download and run the boot info script and post the generated RESULTS.txt.
feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feed3 »

helping one of my friend installing dual boot mint and xp for his netbook and facing exactly the same probs as yours.
what i do;

insert xp installation cd (usb in my case)
go to recovery console (the press R option)
fixmbr
insert mint live cd/usb
repair the grub2

(am typing this post from his netbook using mint) hope can help in any ways
macosxp

Post by macosxp »

feed3 wrote:helping one of my friend installing dual boot mint and xp for his netbook and facing exactly the same probs as yours.
what i do;

insert xp installation cd (usb in my case)
go to recovery console (the press R option)
fixmbr
insert mint live cd/usb
repair the grub2

(am typing this post from his netbook using mint) hope can help in any ways
I would love to try something simpler like fixmbr before other stuff. You sure that it was the same boot.ini problem and all? Are we all signed off on the fact that fixmbr and then restore grub with the code above will work?
Leppie

Post by Leppie »

macosxp wrote:I would love to try something simpler like fixmbr before other stuff. You sure that it was the same boot.ini problem and all? Are we all signed off on the fact that fixmbr and then restore grub with the code above will work?
you could also run fixboot since you're there.
macosxp

Post by macosxp »

Leppie wrote:
macosxp wrote:I would love to try something simpler like fixmbr before other stuff. You sure that it was the same boot.ini problem and all? Are we all signed off on the fact that fixmbr and then restore grub with the code above will work?
you could also run fixboot since you're there.
"Also"? So like you're not sure what would do the trick but like it couldn't hurt or something?
feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feed3 »

You sure that it was the same boot.ini problem and all? Are we all signed off on the fact that fixmbr and then restore grub with the code above will work?
from the symptoms that you describe above, i think it is the same problems. Always happen that some of my friends come complaining they cant boot to their xp, giving the error of the hal.dll but when i dig around, the file is there and boot.ini still exist(for some cases). What i do is usually the same, enter repair console, fixmbr. that's all. And the worst is i had to do repair install of xp (repair install, not a fresh install) You wont end up with zer0 working O.S as long as you dont DELETE your mint partition and always have one live cd/usb with you :) . You can always reinstall grub2 from your live cd/usb.

Good luck :)
macosxp

Post by macosxp »

feed3 wrote:from the symptoms that you describe above, i think it is the same problems. Always happen that some of my friends come complaining they cant boot to their xp, giving the error of the hal.dll but when i dig around, the file is there and boot.ini still exist(for some cases). What i do is usually the same, enter repair console, fixmbr. that's all. And the worst is i had to do repair install of xp (repair install, not a fresh install) You wont end up with zer0 working O.S as long as you dont DELETE your mint partition and always have one live cd/usb with you :) . You can always reinstall grub2 from your live cd/usb.

Good luck :)
Thank you.

I replaced XP's original hal.dll file with some file from some website just to see if it would fix it (which it didn't of course...) from within Linux, do you think that would be a problem or I should actually restore the hal.dll from the CD or somethin?
feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feed3 »

Thank you.

I replaced XP's original hal.dll file with some file from some website just to see if it would fix it (which it didn't of course...) from within Linux, do you think that would be a problem or I should actually restore the hal.dll from the CD or somethin?
try to do the fix first. if it ain't working, replace the file from the cd (personally dont think you required to do so) and if still doesnt work, try do repair install (dont think it is appropiate for me to post on how to do it here but you can always google it, quite easy to find) and when done, dont forget to reinstall your grub2 or otherwise you will boot straight to xp with no option to boot mint(if you use single hdd or use multiple hdd but install the bootloader in one same mbr)
Leppie

Post by Leppie »

macosxp wrote:"Also"? So like you're not sure what would do the trick but like it couldn't hurt or something?
let's be real... you're asking for windows help on a linux forum... what do you expect?
if you've got grub2 issues, i'll tell you what to do exactly. but i'm not familiar at all with windows recovery shells, as stated several posts before.
Last edited by Leppie on Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

A simple fix -- if you can boot in WinXP Safe Mode.

Open a command prompt. Start > Run > Cmd <enter>
enter this command "sfc/scannow" <enter> (without the quotes"

This is a command line utility to detect problems with the Windows file system. For an explanation of scannow is here. (I've only used it from a normal boot.)

The google search was for sfc scannow xp
macosxp

Post by macosxp »

When trying to enter recovery console, it asks for administrator password, and nothing works (not even blank). When trying repair install, it gives options to make partitions and install, but no option to repair.

UPDATE Ok I got into recovery console, fixmbr and fixboot did nothing.
feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feed3 »

macosxp wrote: UPDATE Ok I got into recovery console, fixmbr and fixboot did nothing.
seems weird to me. have you try replace the hall.dll with the original file from the cd then do fixmbr? Is the "essential" file exist at the root of your C: drive? (e.g boot.ini, ntldr) it is a hidden file, just to be sure.

Or, perhaps you just should do a reinstallation, backup your data, install xp, then install mint.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

chkdsk /f
?
macosxp

Post by macosxp »

Ok guys, I ran bootcfg /rebuild and CHKDSK /r and now XP loads up again!

So now just to restore GRUB the way it was.... The main partition for Linux Mint was sda5 or whatever... so are yall sure that putting the above code into Terminal in a LiveCD will do the trick?
Leppie wrote:to restore grub2 (i presume you installed Mint Helena), you need the livecd and you need to know which partition your Mint system is in. for this example i'll use the partition most first time users install linux into when dual booting. booting off the livecd, open a terminal and issue the following commands:

sudo mount /dev/sda5 /mnt
sudo grub-install --recheck --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda
if Mint is not installed in sda5, amend accordingly. please note that the second line states sda and not sda5, this is not a typo but it indicates the mbr of the first hard drive.
Is it really going to be that easy? I haven't seen any grub restore tutorials online that were so simple.
Leppie

Post by Leppie »

macosxp wrote:Is it really going to be that easy? I haven't seen any grub restore tutorials online that were so simple.
yes, it is that simple. most people are afraid to get their hands dirty with grub2, but it really is powerful and quite easy to use once you get to know it better.
if you don't trust what i say here, check the ubuntu forums (same nick, same avatar, same im contacts, just a different signature :P). i've got some 2000+ posts there, mostly covering grub2.

Return to “Installation & Boot”