Reliability of USB Persistence Installation for portability

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Baba
Level 1
Level 1

Reliability of USB Persistence Installation for portability

Post by Baba »

Dear Folks,
I tried to install Mint Cinnamon 21.3 in live persistence mode by using mkusb
Installation had gone well, but result seem not be reliable: it doesn't keep customization such as language, keyboard settings and so on.
Moreover I found issues with wi-fi connection: it doesn't work at all.

My goal is to get the installation's portability ; so I would like an installation bootable on any PC in which I need to boot my system. You know, standard installation on external storage (f.e. external SSD) has the limit concerned with the creation of an hardware link to the installation's machine.
This fact doesn't permit a free portability of the installation.

Thank you.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Reliability of USB Persistence Installation for portability

Post by Hoser Rob »

Baba wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:11 am Dear Folks,
I tried to install Mint Cinnamon 21.3 in live persistence mode by using mkusb
Installation had gone well, but result seem not be reliable: it doesn't keep customization such as language, keyboard settings and so on.
Then it's not persistent. I've never used this tool but the most likely cause is, I'm afraid, operator error. If you search this forum there re instructions for making a persistent boot stick.
Moreover I found issues with wi-fi connection: it doesn't work at all.
I wouldn't blame mkusb or the lack of persistence for that, it's likely a separate issue. Read the link in the bit above highlighted in pink and post some system info.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Cinnamon”