Replicate task bar to all monitors

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SayWhat
Level 2
Level 2

Replicate task bar to all monitors

Post by SayWhat »

...or at least an option to enable it.

This is a feature of windows I'd like to see in linux UI.

I see we can create a new panel, but it's empty; I'd like to see it an exact copy of the default panel.
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Replicate task bar to all monitors

Post by spamegg »

KMD2023
Level 3
Level 3

Post by KMD2023 »

SayWhat wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:15 pm ...or at least an option to enable it.

This is a feature of windows I'd like to see in linux UI.

I see we can create a new panel, but it's empty; I'd like to see it an exact copy of the default panel.

###
EDIT/UPDATE: I borrowed a coworker's monitor and an hdmi cable, plugged it into my laptop. In Display options, the second display was recognized and useable right away - and - "Join Displays" was set, but the taskbar did (not) span both monitors the way I had hoped.

Sorry - again, if I find more info I will certainly share it. I've been wanting such a feature for a long time but gave up searching.
### End edit ###

SayWhat,

I vaguely recall a display setting called 'spanning' or 'span desktop', which would make two displays act like one with their combined coordinates as the resolution. Your taskbar could then 'span' across all displays. However, searching online, I cannot seem to find any such feature and I'm starting to wonder if I just had a dream about it.

I'm at work and only have my laptop with LM 21.2 Cinnamon, but I have no second monitor to see if the feature 'appears' if multiple monitors are detected, so I can't test my idea.

I want this feature as well (not a second panel, but the same one spanning all monitors), and if I find any clues to 'desktop spanning', I'll post back here.
KMD2023
NW USA
Linux Hobbyist - Made the full switch Mar 2023
- "Backups are your friend, and Timeshift is a friend with benefits!"
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

KMD2023 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:19 pm I'm starting to wonder if I just had a dream about it.
If that's the case then I must be having the same one. I'm sure this was an option in LM17.3 Cinnamon.

I'll see if I can set a second virtual display in VirtualBox (something I haven't tried yet).
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
KMD2023
Level 3
Level 3

Post by KMD2023 »

BG405 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:40 pm
KMD2023 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:19 pm I'm starting to wonder if I just had a dream about it.
If that's the case then I must be having the same one. I'm sure this was an option in LM17.3 Cinnamon.

I'll see if I can set a second virtual display in VirtualBox (something I haven't tried yet).
BG405,

Thanks!
I've bookmarked this topic and will check back often. Either to add what I found or hope for the success of others.
I get tired of having to pause a full screen game (for example), then alt-tab so I can get to my taskbar and then change music or (insert whatever).

The OP has sparked my desire for this feature once again and the hunt is on!
KMD2023
NW USA
Linux Hobbyist - Made the full switch Mar 2023
- "Backups are your friend, and Timeshift is a friend with benefits!"

Return to “Cinnamon”