tried experimental wayland and now stuck in wayland

Questions about the experimental Wayland support on Linux Mint Cinnamon
Forum rules
Include your system information for help with troubleshooting. Report reproducible issues related to Wayland, whether for Cinnamon, an XApp, a Mint tool or any Linux Mint maintained software on the dedicated issue tracker. Topics in this forum are automatically closed after 6 months.
Tilmura
Level 1
Level 1

tried experimental wayland and now stuck in wayland

Post by Tilmura »

I have a bit weird problem. When I selected cinnamon on wayland (experimental), it first loaded the desktop with the wallpaper, then it loaded again with a black background, and later the screen went totally blank with only an underscore blinking at the top left corner of the screen. I cannot return back to my login screen even after reboot because I have auto-login turned on. And logout does not work.. Can, I go back to login screen?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: tried experimental wayland and now stuck in wayland

Post by SMG »

Tilmura wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:08 amI cannot return back to my login screen even after reboot because I have auto-login turned on. And logout does not work.. Can, I go back to login screen?
Welcome to the forum, Tilmura.

This issue is covered in the WAYLAND - read this first! as quoted below:
SMG wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:14 pmIf you went into Wayland to see what it looks like and you have automatic login enabled you may have problems returning to Xorg.
To fix that:
  • Ctrl+Alt+F2 to drop to console. Log in in text mode.
  • sudo nano /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
  • Remove the lines about the autologin.
  • Ctrl+O Enter to save
  • Ctrl+X to exit
  • Restart.
Please give that a try and let us know if you can get back to X11.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Cinnamon on Wayland”