[SOLVED] Hard drive (HDD) Going Out?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TaterChip
Level 5
Level 5

[SOLVED] Hard drive (HDD) Going Out?

Post by TaterChip »

I have a 4tb Western Digital 2.5 external that I have encrypted with VeraCrypt that I use for my backup drive for the laptop. Today it took FOREVER (longer than 15mins to decrypt) to access, and copying to or from is also insanely slow.

I have tried rebooting the computer, and that helped the decrypt some.However something else might be going on as well. I have another WD 4tb that isn't encrypted, and copying from my internal data drive to it is still slow. It's showing about 8 hrs to copy 1tb of data (33mb/sec)
I've also got the system copying the versioning folder from the encrypted drive to the non encrypted drive just in case. (approx 17 hrs 14mb/sec)

What are your thoughts? Do I have a drive problem, or system problem?
Last edited by TaterChip on Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TaterChip
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Hard drive (HDD) Going Out?

Post by TaterChip »

Update

I am now 326:45 elapsed time and counting running Grsync to copy my 231.4GB /Home directory to the non-encrypted drive via a USB-C port. At this point, I have to assume there is a system problem. The only changes that I have made to the system was to install security updates. Once I get things set up, I don't like going in to mess with things. I'm still running 21.1 Cinnamon. At this rate I will be able to wipe and reinstall my system in three days. :x
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

This is a little late to help you now but, in the future, keep all the data you value backed up in at least two places other than on your computer. I'm really paranoid and have backups out the wazoo (five for each data drive spread over two locations but one backup drive in each of two locations is enough for most people.

All storage media, be they HDD, SSD, Optical Discs, flippies, USB flash drives, whatever, are subject to irrecoverable failure at anytime without any warning whatsoever, no matter type, size, condition or age. I've had brand new HDDs be DOA. It will cost you more for the additional media for backups but it's a lot cheaper than professional data recovery that carries no guarantees of success. It will also prevent the panic you are dealing with right now hoping you can get your data backed up before something can go wrong.

I hope you are able to recover all your data! I'm glad you had that extra drive handy so you could jump on getting it backed up. Normally, I don't recommend what you are doing. It's safer for your data if you power down the drive immediately after discovering the problem, then sending it out for professional data recovery but, since you've already started recovery, it's probably now best to keep it going and hope for the best. Good luck!
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

You could try checking the health of the drive with disks, or you can install smartmontools.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
TaterChip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TaterChip »

AndyMH wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:21 am You could try checking the health of the drive with disks, or you can install smartmontools.
I'm now wondering if my issues run deeper. I am experiencing slowness with multiple drives. Currently running an internal and one connected via USB C. I started copying 1.2T with GRSYNC at 2am and it's still going.
TaterChip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TaterChip »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:22 am This is a little late to help you now but, in the future, keep all the data you value backed up in at least two places other than on your computer. I'm really paranoid and have backups out the wazoo (five for each data drive spread over two locations but one backup drive in each of two locations is enough for most people.
I used to do that prior to the stroke. It messed up a lot of things for me. Sadly, I forget to do a lot of stuff. I've been working on creating systems to help me get back to what I was. My data used to be on a disconnected external, an off site external, and on the backup drive attached to my network. I need to spend some time and learn how to make two linux computers connect. I used Samba when my daily driver was windows.
All storage media, be they HDD, SSD, Optical Discs, flippies, USB flash drives, whatever, are subject to irrecoverable failure at anytime without any warning whatsoever, no matter type, size, condition or age. I've had brand new HDDs be DOA. It will cost you more for the additional media for backups but it's a lot cheaper than professional data recovery that carries no guarantees of success. It will also prevent the panic you are dealing with right now hoping you can get your data backed up before something can go wrong.
I've got a newish 8tb going out on my server computer. It's started making a horrible racket. Probably doesn't like the travelin lifestyle.
I hope you are able to recover all your data! I'm glad you had that extra drive handy so you could jump on getting it backed up. Normally, I don't recommend what you are doing. It's safer for your data if you power down the drive immediately after discovering the problem, then sending it out for professional data recovery but, since you've already started recovery, it's probably now best to keep it going and hope for the best. Good luck!
I've never been accused of being the brightest bulb in the box. Right now my plan is to get my data on a second external just in case I screw up when I re-install linux (had been planning on trying LMDE 6). I have installed it on the wrong drive before because I was tired and not paying attention like I should have been.
TaterChip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TaterChip »

Update

It's now 28+ hours and counting transferring 1.2tb of data. I think I'm going to have to cancel this so I can reinstall the system. This is insane. I can't lose another day of work. Now that I know multiple drives and multiple ports are affected, I don't know that I can conclude it is a potential hard drive failure. It looks like I'm averaging around 5mb/sec according to the rsync output.
TaterChip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TaterChip »

Last Update...

It appears to have been a system problem. I installed LMDE 6, and all appears back to normal, at least speed wise. I still have a lot of work to get programs and settings back
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

TaterChip wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:15 pm Last Update...

It appears to have been a system problem. I installed LMDE 6, and all appears back to normal, at least speed wise. I still have a lot of work to get programs and settings back
Were you able to get all your data back (fingers crossed)?
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
TaterChip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TaterChip »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:12 pm
TaterChip wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:15 pm Last Update...

Were you able to get all your data back (fingers crossed)?
Yes, and no. I got it, but I'm having to manually recreate things like my webapps. for some reason copying it back over didn't work. Also had to fight thunderbird :evil: LMDE has v102 which I really want, but thunderbird screwed up the profile up with v115. it wouldn't let me use my profile with v102 so I was forced to download the flatpak to have access to my locally, stored emails. At this point Mozilla is more evil than google. Google just wants to track everything you do, Mozilla wants to make sure you cant use your backups. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Speaking of emails... Google has me in a catch 22. They activated 2FA on a couple of my old email addresses. The 2FA points to other email addresses that also have it activated. I'm about 80% sure I got all emails on those accounts switched over, but I was going to give it another couple months before I quit checking them. Guess I stop checking them today :roll:

Also had issues with web browsers. Even though I have the config data it still didn't copy across all my financial cookies.

Return to “Storage”