Linux Mint can't find known-good Samba Share

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Linux Mint can't find known-good Samba Share

Post by altair4 »

AngelusWebDesign wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:15 pm I tried this, but it doesn't work for some reason. (I created the mount point /mnt/third beforehand.)

mount -t cifs -o username=matthew,password=<PASSWORD REDACTED> //192.168.1.53/third /mnt/third
Would you explain what "doesn't work" means:

[1] You ran the command and it produced an error message?

Please post that error message to this thread.

[2] You ran the command, there was no error message, but /mnt/third was empty?

[3] You ran the command, there was no error, you can read the contents of /mnt/third but cannot write?

If this is the case take possession of the mounted share on the client:
mount -t cifs -o username=matthew,password=<PASSWORD REDACTED>,uid=1000 //192.168.1.53/third /mnt/third
Replace 1000 with your mint client uid number. You can find that by running this command:

Code: Select all

id
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
terry_dwyer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by terry_dwyer »

This is what I have been doing for years, courtesy of a post in tutorials by altair4. It's never failed and I recommend you go searching for altair4's posts on the subject of CIFS/SMB:

entry in /etc/fstab:

//[servername]/media /home/[username]/Desktop/Media cifs guest,uid=[username],nounix,noauto,x-gvfs-hide,x-systemd.automount,x-systemd.idle-timeout=300,dir_mode=0777,file_mode=0666 0 0
do not use the square brackets in the line above

I'm pretty sure you need a "credentials" file: /etc/samba credentials perms 640 (It's been a while) containing these lines:

username=[username]
password=[password]
workgroup=[whatever]
look in the tutorial for an explanation of how this will only mount on demand and so wont delay booting if the server is offline.
(I pointed you at the tutorial early in the thread, didn't you find it or was it not applicable)

Hehe I just noticed Altair4 is in the conversation :oops:
AngelusWebDesign
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AngelusWebDesign »

Thanks, that worked!

I really appreciate all your help in getting through this.
terry_dwyer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by terry_dwyer »

You're welcome, although the credit goes to Altair4. I just passed it along.

Don't forget to mark the thread solved.
When others with similar problems see that it's solved they're likely to read the topic and could find an answer to their own problem.

Return to “Networking”