What I Learned

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gomerpile
Level 3
Level 3

What I Learned

Post by gomerpile »

I learned, NOT TO INSTALL EVERY UPDATE, THAT BREAKS THE Situation causing the Time Zone Page after the live boot up. :? It only took 30 years to learn, install one of decoder, one photo editor, one of everything, or, and I mean or, if the prompt comes, deleting old file for this file at the update prompt get-out fast, that breaks that old file every time. So! :D 30 years is a long time. And remember to give a thumbs up if you like. lol
TaterChip
Level 5
Level 5

Re: What I Learned

Post by TaterChip »

I finally bit the bullet and installed some update. Pretty sure they broke my system as well, but only on a minor scale. Now when I plug into the USB I no longer get the sounds even though they are still listed. No biggie, I looking at installing LMDE in the near future.
gomerpile
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gomerpile »

TaterChip wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:35 am I finally bit the bullet and installed some update. Pretty sure they broke my system as well, but only on a minor scale. Now when I plug into the USB I no longer get the sounds even though they are still listed. No biggie, I looking at installing LMDE in the near future.
I really noticed it the most with that too, then hyponix,
wwblm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by wwblm »

I don't understand this thread. I kind of live that way on my Android -- only update browsers, stuff I would have no problem uninstalling, or when required to. Occasionally will update something if I think it could work better and the reviews say it does. However, with Mint I have a pretty good timeshift backup strategy and have done hundreds of updates and have had zero issues. It's great to know that I can roll back and it is essential to me that we are not forced to update but I sure have not had problems and am surprised that so many people seem to have trouble with them. Is it certain apps that perhaps I don't use? Maybe I've just been lucky? I don't get it. (I do remember one time hosing Firefox after updating it while it was running but that is the only issue I can remember and it was a couple of years ago.)
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

The only way you could have this many problems with updates is if you've completely frakked up the OS by blindly messing with it. I have never seen such bad advice.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Post by spamegg »

Yeah I don't get it either. What do users do to their systems?
gomerpile
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gomerpile »

revised, I figured you'd know, the answer, but I guess hyponix and other working good after the update. I dont thinks so.
Attention Linux users: it's important to be selective when installing system updates. While keeping your system up to date is generally good practice, be aware that some updates can cause issues, particularly with multi-decoders. Before proceeding with an update, it's wise to check the release notes and user feedback to ensure that the update won't disrupt your current setup. Remember, if it ain't broke, you might not want to fix it.
Edit: This came right from linux developers I can post the email.
gomerpile
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gomerpile »

Hoser Rob wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:24 pm The only way you could have this many problems with updates is if you've completely frakked up the OS by blindly messing with it. I have never seen such bad advice.
Recently run the update codes in AI Developer Studio and have used the 'show differences' feature, you may have noticed some file type incompatibilities with certain updates. Additionally, changes in the 'analyze me' function could reflect a complete overhaul of audio and graphics, as well as sources for the tuners.
To address these discrepancies and correct the file differences, here's a brief guide:

Review the update logs: Check the release notes associated with the latest updates to understand the nature of the changes made.

Use 'show differences': Utilize the 'show differences' feature to pinpoint the exact areas where the files diverge from the previous version.

Backup your work: Before making any changes, ensure you have a backup of your current working environment to prevent data loss.

Address incompatibilities: For each incompatible file, determine if the issue is due to format changes, dependencies, or other alterations. Apply the necessary conversions or adjustments.
Test thoroughly: After making corrections, test your setup extensively to ensure that all components are functioning as expected.

Remember, a deep understanding of AI Developer Studio and its functionalities can often help you navigate these updates smoothly. Keep your knowledge sharp, and you'll be well-equipped to handle any changes that come your way.

Best regards,
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

gomerpile wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:05 am Attention Linux users: it's important to be selective when installing system updates.
No it's not. I update all the things all the time, and my boxen are running fine. Please don't spread FUD.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”