Warning for EVGA PSUs (Power Supply Units)

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Warning for EVGA PSUs (Power Supply Units)

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

In this video (https://youtu.be/2cHDyq5hRk4), Louis Rossmann warns of a problem with some EVGA PSUs (for those of you who don't like Rossmann's rants, he actually stays pretty calm in this one). EVGA made a change in PSU cable pin-outs at the PSU within the same model of PSU. When an original version of this PSU fails under warranty, EVGA instructs customers to send back only the PSUs and not include the cables. However, EVGA has been replacing the failed PSUs with the newer version which, when used with the original cables, causes the wrong voltages to be sent to components in the computer, BBQ them. Rossmann goes into more detail in the video.

It's well known (or should be) that you can't mix cables and PSUs between brands and even between different models of the same brand (the latter is because some companies have their PSUs made by different manufacturers; Corsair is notorious for this) because the pin-outs at the PSU end of cables are not standardized (Rossmann isn't the only one that feels this is wrong; it's been a pet peeve of mine for years) but making changes in cable pin-outs within the same brand and model without warning people of it and not taking responsibility for damage it may cause is inexcusable.

I put the blame for fiascoes like this on Intel for not setting a standard for PSU socket pin-outs at the PSU on fully modular PSUs like they have for PSU cables at the motherboard, etc, end of PSU cables.

I know, from now on, before I ever use a new PSU, no matter the brand or model, even if it's the same model of one I've used before, I'll be checking the voltages at the end of the cables with a meter or a PSU tester before using it.
Last edited by LockBot on Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Warning for EVGA PSUs (Power Supply Units)

Post by coffee412 »

Kinda leads me to believe that they have a lot of P/S failures from the traction this issue is getting :)
I save unused power cables if I can repin them. Otherwise, I cut them in half and throw them out.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Warning for EVGA PSUs (Power Supply Units)

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

coffee412 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:21 am Kinda leads me to believe that they have a lot of P/S failures from the traction this issue is getting :)
I save unused power cables if I can repin them. Otherwise, I cut them in half and throw them out.
I wish I had a dollar for every cable I've repinned even though I usually prefer to just make new ones.

I finally found the parts numbers I need for connector bodies and pins and a depinning tool for the PSU end of the new Type 5 Corsair cables (I wish I had found them before I replaced the EVGA that came with my original computer with the Corsair when I moved the innards to a new case. I haven't bothered to get any yet since I don't anticipate needing to make any in the foreseeable future. I cheated on the Type 5 cables that came with the Corsair PSU I got for my "new" desktop and modified the cables by cutting them down, pinning new connectors at the end opposite the PSU and splicing in wire when I needed more length. The one I would be hesitant to custom make would be the 24 pin cable since there are 28 wires coming from the 24 pin connector (the extra four are voltage sensing wires) on the MOBO end to a 10 pin and an 18 pin connector at the PSU end. It would be so easy to make a mistake that would BBQ something unimportant like the MOBO and CPU. For that one, it would be easier to just make a short extension and hide any extra length (which I've done in the past.

Ironically, I blew the warranty on my new Corsair PSU by modifying some of the cables. Unlike EVGA, which doesn't want you to send back cables since they won't return them to you with the warranty replacement, Corsair does require you to return all of the cables with a bad PSU being returned for warranty repair or replacement, presumably so they can ensure you didn't blow the PSU by modifying or substituting cables (how they could determine the latter is beyond me).

I'm looking forward (if I live long enough) to when most, if not all, MOBOs and cases will have all the MOBO connectors on the back of the MOBO so no cables will show on the front. Three manufacturers have introduce extremely limited models but all three are using their own standards. Will one eventually win out, like VHS beat out Betamax, or will there be a mess of individual standards like the current nightmare with PSUs?
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!

Return to “Open Chat”