Unable to boot from live USB for LMDE 6

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chai116
Level 1
Level 1

Unable to boot from live USB for LMDE 6

Post by chai116 »

Hello all!

I am keen to install LMDE 6 on my system. I am trying to install it in a dual boot system. Some initial information:

- My computer is a Lenovo Yoga C940, with Intel i7 and 16 gb Ram
- I used to have a dual boot of windows 10 and Zorin OS, which was done for me at a computer repair store
- Because I wanted to switch distros and increase the space allocated to linux, I deleted the Zorin OS partition, resized the windows partition and merged all the free space together with minitool
- I disabled secure boot and fast startup
- I deleted the old ubuntu grub
- I downloaded the ISO image, verified it and burned it to a USB using Etcher

When I boot and press F12, I see the USB, and can select the option to start LMDE Cinnamon. However it gets stuck at the LM logo for a very long time and does not go ahead. When I pressed esc, it was just an underscore.

I tried to boot using the compatibility mode, and I got a black screen with code, where it said over and over again
usb 3-6: reset high speed USB device number 4 using xchi_hcd and then that this timed out. I have attached the images below.

What does this mean? I am pretty new to all this (and using Zorin OS was a sheltered linux experience I guess) and am not sure what I should do. Do I need to try with a different USB device? Do I need to try LMDE 5 or something? Or some other distro all together?

Best,
chai116 :)

Last edited by SMG on Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added direct link to image so it shows in the post.
Raycoupe
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Unable to boot from live USB for LMDE 6

Post by Raycoupe »

No clue, but did you try another usb port? And another usb stick?
Your usb stick does boot, but you could give Ventoy a try, it's what all of use nowadays to create bootable usb.
Or try the standard distro LM213 Cinnamon.
Hardware, operating systems, software and networking are are nothing else than necessary, cumbersome and easily replaceable evils to store and provide data. Triple backup your data at least, twice on-site, and another copy off-site.

Return to “Installation & Boot”