<SOLVED> Is there specific components of a Linux system I should not mess around to not damage the firmware?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bgruf
Level 1
Level 1

<SOLVED> Is there specific components of a Linux system I should not mess around to not damage the firmware?

Post by bgruf »

If I want to mess around with the system (mostly desktop environment/display manager/file manager, but also on whatever else I can customize) should I be looking out to not mess around with certain things to not damage the firmware or is it protected somehow on Linux Mint (or Linux distributions in general)? Curious if should I impose a limit when I'm messing around to learn things and if I break the system not to accidentally also damage the hardware somehow or something of the sort.
Last edited by bgruf on Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Is there specific components of a Linux system I should not mess around to not damage the firmware?

Post by Pjotr »

Roughly, just stick to software from the official software sources. Then you should have no need to worry about any of that. :wink:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
bgruf
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Is there specific components of a Linux system I should not mess around to not damage the firmware?

Post by bgruf »

Pjotr wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:12 pm Roughly, just stick to software from the official software sources. Then you should have no need to worry about any of that. :wink:
Do you mean for every software or only when it's about more advanced things like removing/installing desktop environment/display manager/file manager? There are some softwares that asks to add their repository into PPA, wouldn't it be unofficial since I'm having to add their repository and if so, should I avoid them or just to some extent?
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

bgruf wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:22 pm Do you mean for every software or only when it's about more advanced things like removing/installing desktop environment/display manager/file manager? There are some softwares that asks to add their repository into PPA, wouldn't it be unofficial since I'm having to add their repository and if so, should I avoid them or just to some extent?
I recommend to read what I've written on this page:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... takes.html

That should address this concern of yours and perhaps some other concerns as well.
bgruf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bgruf »

Pjotr wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:26 pm I recommend to read what I've written on this page:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... takes.html

That should address this concern of yours and perhaps some other concerns as well.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

bgruf wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:22 pm
Pjotr wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:12 pm Roughly, just stick to software from the official software sources. Then you should have no need to worry about any of that. :wink:
Do you mean for every software or only when it's about more advanced things like removing/installing desktop environment/display manager/file manager? There are some softwares that asks to add their repository into PPA, wouldn't it be unofficial since I'm having to add their repository and if so, should I avoid them or just to some extent?
Common newbie mistake. Just because 3rd party sources call their ppa a repository does NOT mean it's equivalent to, or as good as, the default repos. Those have been tested fgr your Mint release. Some 3rd party sources are safe, eg. Google Chrome, but I wouldn't touch them.

Linux is not the heaven for customization that newbies often think it is. It's highly modular with a shed load of components and shared libraries. And it's a lot more fragile than you think. If you want to play, fine, but do it on a spare computer, in a VM, or learn how to use Timeshift properly. You're going to completely break the OS doing what you want to do, it's just a matter of time. Don't mess around with your daily driver.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
bgruf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bgruf »

Hoser Rob wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:57 pm Common newbie mistake. Just because 3rd party sources call their ppa a repository does NOT mean it's equivalent to, or as good as, the default repos. Those have been tested for your Mint release. Some 3rd party sources are safe, eg. Google Chrome, but I wouldn't touch them.
Should I be careful of adding repos to flatpak from flathub to or is flathub entirely safe/trustworthy too?
Hoser Rob wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:57 pm Linux is not the heaven for customization that newbies often think it is.
That's how some people lure others to try out Linux, I guess maybe why some stay and others don't since it's not the only benefit that it's more customizable but the main point why some people try it out. I can't deny it's one of the reasons I'm looking into Linux, but surely not the only reason so I'm fine with that not being entirely true. (I actually still believed on it til this point, so thanks for clearing that up)
Hoser Rob wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:57 pm It's highly modular with a shed load of components and shared libraries. And it's a lot more fragile than you think. If you want to play, fine, but do it on a spare computer, in a VM, or learn how to use Timeshift properly. You're going to completely break the OS doing what you want to do, it's just a matter of time. Don't mess around with your daily driver.
Thanks, if I do it inside a VM should I only be careful with malware that somehow can get out of the VM and infect the VM host or are there things I should also be careful when messing around inside a VM?
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: <SOLVED> Is there specific components of a Linux system I should not mess around to not damage the firmware?

Post by Pjotr »

Return to “Beginner Questions”