Welcome Ladies - post here :)

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Welcome Ladies - post here :)

Post by Marie SWE »

majpooper wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:45 am The "ladies" (a term that is a relic from the past) on this forum are "girlboss"
GIRLBOSS:
As a noun, describing a woman who is in control of her life, and doesn't care what others think. She handles herself and simply slays life.

As a verb, it is used to describe an action that is a big slay. It can be used in dealing with work or people, in a girl boss way.
(Noun)

"wow, look at how she handled that situation"
"she is a total girlboss!
(verb)
"hey, did you hand in your assignment?"
"yeah, I totally girbossed that"
:D
Hi there it was not yesterday i saw you. :D
Nice one.. i so have to steal that one to keep around when it might be needed on some forum for fun. 8)
if you want my attention...quote me so I get a notification
Nothing is impossible, the impossible just takes a little longer to solve..
It is like it is.. because you do as you do.. if you hadn't done it as you did.. it wouldn't have become as it is. ;)
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

as i dropped in and made a comment, I take the opportunity to say Welcome to all new enthusiastic Linux users. :D
It is like it is.. because you do as you do.. if you hadn't done it as you did.. it wouldn't have become as it is. ;)
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

Marie SWE wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:10 pm
majpooper wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:45 am The "ladies" (a term that is a relic from the past) on this forum are "girlboss"
GIRLBOSS:
As a noun, describing a woman who is in control of her life, and doesn't care what others think. She handles herself and simply slays life.

As a verb, it is used to describe an action that is a big slay. It can be used in dealing with work or people, in a girl boss way.
(Noun)

"wow, look at how she handled that situation"
"she is a total girlboss!
(verb)
"hey, did you hand in your assignment?"
"yeah, I totally girbossed that"
:D
Hi there it was not yesterday i saw you. :D
Nice one.. i so have to steal that one to keep around when it might be needed on some forum for fun. 8)
Yeah my 13 year old granddaughter turned be on to "girlboss" and "slay." So when I go to her softball games and she comes up to bat I yell "you go girlboss !" My wife asked if I embarrassed her . . . she said it did not that people yell all kinds of stuff to the batters - some stuff not so nice - she also said her teammates got a big kick out of it.
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

majpooper wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:15 pm Yeah my 13 year old granddaughter turned be on to "girlboss" and "slay." So when I go to her softball games and she comes up to bat I yell "you go girlboss !" My wife asked if I embarrassed her . . . she said it did not that people yell all kinds of stuff to the batters - some stuff not so nice - she also said her teammates got a big kick out of it.
Okay, fun. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Yeah i have heard they yell and act less nice on kids games.. its a game for fun, not a war in that age.. but a lot of parents seem to forget that. :? that goes for all over the world.. only the exceptions is what making that rule too
SenoritaXochitl
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SenoritaXochitl »

Hi! I'm Xochitl, originally from Oaxaca, Mexico... but living in the US.
My name means "flower" in Nahuatl language and it's pronounced like "so-chee". If anyone asks, yes, I'm indigenous (zapotec).

I work as a nurse, but I do like tinkering with technology sometimes. I am by no means a programmer or "professional" Linux user. lol
With the way the Big Tech (and the world in general is going, becoming more "woke" and greedy), I decided to switch to using mainly Linux for personal use (still have to use Windows at work, sadly) which includes gaming.
Be nice to me, needles and catheters come in different sizes... and I get to choose! xD
shedyed
Level 4
Level 4

Re: I'm Back!

Post by shedyed »

MintFan20 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:58 am I'm back everyone! Hello my name is mintfan20
Let me take this opportunity to welcome (or welcome back :) these girlbosses or grrrls)

Thanks to Martienne for getting the ball rolling, and for. Xochitl for the latest post. I must tell you this story when I worked in print production, and I was the person delivering the finished product to this hospital to the children's ward. OMG it was all nurses when I walked in! Half of them were Filipinas while the other half were Cuban. I almost had a medical emergency right there, but I made it out alive somehow.

But I digress. Been a long time user, distro hopper who seems to have settled on LM (I have it installed on one laptop; and I'm about to commit to Vera on the current laptop -- a Dell XPS13) Feel free to post your questions here, and I will do likewise
lizaveta
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lizaveta »

Hi there, another girl here. I always wanted to break away from Microsoft jail, now finally, dedicated my vacation to switching my old Windows 8 laptop to the free world of Linux Mint. The switching worked pretty well, no major issues. The system freezes up randomly, so I am trying to figure this out now. I guess it is just a matter of learning how to fine tune it.
xinu
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xinu »

martienne wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:57 am I would really like to see if there are any female Mint users visiting or active here.
Say "Hi" if this applies to you!

I am a mixed bag European, currently in London. As of today 13 Nov I am taking my first steps in Linux, with trepidation.
Welcome, Martian.
Flossi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Flossi »

Glad to be in the forum. Very rusty coder here trying Linux for the first time.
So far, so good. Lots feels really familiar for someone, like me who cut their teeth on Windows 3.1. I like the level of control that you have but feel a bit out of my depth with fiddling around under the hood too much just yet.
trike lady
Level 2
Level 2

Post by trike lady »

Welcome Aboard.
:)
Dell E6530 with LM20.3 Cinnamon
Dell E6410 with W7
Dell E6510 retired
Dell E6440 with LM21.3 Cinnamon
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Flossi wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:03 pm feel a bit out of my depth with fiddling around under the hood too much just yet.
By all means take your time! I'm very different from you, I could not code my way out of a wet paper bag if my life depended on it. Yet here I am, happily using Mint. There's room for all of us!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Moem wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:08 pm
Flossi wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:03 pm feel a bit out of my depth with fiddling around under the hood too much just yet.
By all means take your time! I'm very different from you, I could not code my way out of a wet paper bag if my life depended on it. Yet here I am, happily using Mint. There's room for all of us!
You may not code but you're still pretty darned knowledgeable about Linux Mint!
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Thanks Jeannie! :D

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Picasso01
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Picasso01 »

Hey Ladies, I'm a complete noob here, trying to escape WX but I'm having a lot of problems getting Mint Cinnamon to work :roll: I hope there is someone out there who can advise me. I've done various searches but I can't find anything helpful with the issues I'm having. I'd be grateful for any advice - I can go into detail if anyone's out there... TIA
Kydwyn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kydwyn »

I'm 68 now but back 30 odd years ago, when I coded my first webpages, I was accused of posing because "girls don't code". :lol:
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

Kydwyn wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:29 pm I'm 68 now but back 30 odd years ago, when I coded my first webpages, I was accused of posing because "girls don't code". :lol:
Of course I know what posing means generally (like posing for a picture) but I don't understand what it means in the context that you are using it.
Were they saying you were a fake - that there was no way you could have developed a webpage i.e. because girls don't code?
wwblm
Level 4
Level 4

Welcom Ladies - post here :)

Post by wwblm »

In one sense I find the whole notion of this tread kind of silly yet there does remain the notion that Ladies are somewhat of an oddity in computers. In another thread I posted about a radio show covering the great American Eclipse of 1878. There were women from Vassar studying the eclipse as legit scientists and also had to gather significant data about their own health and reproductive systems to combat a widely accepted notion promoted by people like the prominent physician Edward Hammond Clarke who posited that women were less intellectually capable and that higher education would damage their health! At least we have made some progress since the 1870s!

I do think that women may offer a somewhat different viewpoint and that is a good thing! I truly wonder if in 2024 there is any significant difference between the number of men vs the number of women that are in to computers?

Return to “Introduce Yourself”