[SOLVED] Installing on HP Pavilion 15

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kbxty2p
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Installing on HP Pavilion 15

Post by kbxty2p »

Good day,

I am new to Linux and is currently planning to switch to Linux Mint Cinnamon from Win11 as I have observed it has been "laggy" lately, even though I am only running Viber and edge/chrome browser. The reason why I posted this is because I am looking for assistance to install Cinnamon on my laptop which btw is an HP Pavilion 15-cc1xx, 128GB SSD and 8 GB of RAM.

Anybody who has suggestion on or have the same hardware, please do reply. I will post feedback and updates after installation and will probably ask for additional help if problem(s) arise.

Thanks
Last edited by kbxty2p on Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
diabolicbg
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Installing on HP Pavilion 15

Post by diabolicbg »

I looked on the Internet data - the laptop is good. Its only weakness is the small storage space. 128GB is perfect for LM21.3, but consider expanding more SSD for data. For starters, you might start like this:
- Back up your personal files from Windows 11.
- Download Ventoy for Windows and install it on a flash drive >= 8GB: ventoy-1.0.97-windows.zip. You insert the flash drive and run ventoy2disk.
- Download the LM disk image you want. Copy /do not install/ the LM disk image onto Ventoy.
- Turn off the Quick Start from Windows 11.
- Log into the BIOS of the computer and disable Secure boot /you may need to enter an administrator password to enable the feature/.
- Boot the computer with the Ventoy flash drive, load the live distribution and if you like it, install as normal with a disk wipe and install.
Good luck!
- You see, in this world there are two kinds of people, my friend, those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. - "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Behind every faulty computer there is a user who did nothing...
kbxty2p
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kbxty2p »

diabolicbg wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:45 am I looked on the Internet data - the laptop is good. Its only weakness is the small storage space. 128GB is perfect for LM21.3, but consider expanding more SSD for data. For starters, you might start like this:
- Back up your personal files from Windows 11.
- Download Ventoy for Windows and install it on a flash drive >= 8GB: ventoy-1.0.97-windows.zip. You insert the flash drive and run ventoy2disk.
- Download the LM disk image you want. Copy /do not install/ the LM disk image onto Ventoy.
- Turn off the Quick Start from Windows 11.
- Log into the BIOS of the computer and disable Secure boot /you may need to enter an administrator password to enable the feature/.
- Boot the computer with the Ventoy flash drive, load the live distribution and if you like it, install as normal with a disk wipe and install.
Good luck!
Thank you for your response.

Btw, I use an external drive to save all my files that is why I did not bother to upgrade my SSD. The only thing in there is the Win11 itself.
Lastly, is there a "thank you" or upvote button function to properly thank you.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Hi kbxty2p ,
welcome to our forum.
:)

the forum.team decided to Not use an "upvote" like you will see elsewhere.

NB: you should be able to press F9 after you have re-started your HP Laptop,
and after you have inserted that usb stick, with it's Live LinuxMint Media on that,
in order to get to the Live LinuxMint Desktop.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
kbxty2p
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kbxty2p »

Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon finally up and running. I also successfully installed Viber, Zoom and my printer smoothly. Thank you very much! :mrgreen:

Edit: How to I tagged this post as "Solved" so I can update this post properly?
diabolicbg
Level 6
Level 6

Post by diabolicbg »

kbxty2p wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:18 pm Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon finally up and running. I also successfully installed Viber, Zoom and my printer smoothly. Thank you very much! :mrgreen:
The pleasure is mine! Glad you made it!
kbxty2p wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:18 pm Edit: How to I tagged this post as "Solved" so I can update this post properly?
Go to your first post in the thread, click on the pencil icon, and a title edit screen will open.
- You see, in this world there are two kinds of people, my friend, those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. - "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Behind every faulty computer there is a user who did nothing...

Return to “Installation & Boot”