Laptop clickpads

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jeff Layman
Level 1
Level 1

Laptop clickpads

Post by Jeff Layman »

ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad. Clevo laptop running LM21.3 Edge.

Anyone else having an issue with an ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad? It's my first experience with a clickpad and I'm not keen on it, much preferring separate left and right click buttons (as used for years with a much older Clevo laptop). Another triumph of design over function!

There are two problems. The first is the tendency of fast, repeated left-clicks to cause the cursor to move a fraction as the "button" is pressed. Eventually the cursor moves away from the icon the left-click is supposed to be acting on, and either left-click does nothing, or worse the cursor has moved to another function and something unexpected happens. I've more-or-less solved this with a physical kludge - sticking a piece of masking tape full-width along the bottom 15mm or so of the touchpad. That area of the touchpad responds identically to clicks, but the cursor no longer moves.

The second problem is very strange. Apart from the extreme bottom right-hand corner of the touchpad, which when pressed responds with a right-click, all the rest of the touchpad responds with a left-click when pressed (if the press actually operates on the "button". The top quarter of the touchpad doesn't respond to a press). In other words, where a right-click might be expected, a left-click results.

I have tried working my way through all the touchpad settings in "Mouse and Touchpad", but have found nothing to alleviate this annoying behaviour. By the way, I don't use "touch to click" as I find it too sensitive.

I've had a look through various forum posts concerning Elan touchpads, and wondered if any code had been written for changing the response of the areas where they operate.

On a related but separate point, why doesn't "System info" make any mention of touchpads?

Jeff

Return to “Hardware Support”