Keyboard - cursor won't move when pressing and holding keys

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
saimonc
Level 1
Level 1

Keyboard - cursor won't move when pressing and holding keys

Post by saimonc »

I must has inadvertently changed a setting and the Preferences in Keyboard settings don't help.

How do I get the cursor to move (and letters to repeat) by pressing and holding the relevant key? Now when I press and hold, nothing happens.
woaf
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Keyboard - cursor won't move when pressing and holding keys

Post by woaf »

A bit vague but I get you could mean moving your mouse with the keyboard? Considering you're on Cinnamon, if you open the application "Accessibility" and go to the tab "Mouse", turn on "Control the pointer using the keypad" under "Mouse keys"
edgr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by edgr »

Hey! So when you press and hold "A" key for example, you want it to repeat as "aaaaaaaaa...", and when you press and hold arrow keys, "←" for example, you want text selection cursor to move backwards as you hold it? But when you hold any key, it's not repeating?
And in the "Keyboard" settings "key repeat" is enabled? Have you tried to disable it and re-enable?
saimonc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by saimonc »

Precisely. Sorry I should have posted the OS I'm using: Cinnamon Mint 21.3 - 6.0.4

Yes, I've tried disabling 'key repeat' in keyboard settings and no change. Maybe I need to restart the laptop to get that to work? I'll try....
saimonc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by saimonc »

Strangely, I've just noticed the key repeat functions in a dialogue box of Google Calendar, but not outside it.
Attachments
Screenshot from Google Calendar Key repeat fault 2024-03-27 19-04-20.png
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

I've tried disabling 'key repeat' in keyboard settings
Try enabling key repeat.
saimonc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by saimonc »

As mentioned earlier, I tried that - no change.
edgr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by edgr »

saimonc wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:32 pm Precisely. Sorry I should have posted the OS I'm using: Cinnamon Mint 21.3 - 6.0.4
Sorry it took me so long to reply, I'm having health issues, and thought someone has helped you out already.

I noticed Google does its own thing and ignores system/browser settings. Like Gmail for example, it ignores Firefox's spell checker.

So I looked it up, and here are a few suggestions from AskUbuntu and other sources:
1. Disable-ReEnable key repeat. Some said it worked for them, and restored key repeat functionality. I understand it didn't work for you, added this for clarity, in case it works for someone else in the future.
1.1 Also try and play with "Repeat delay" (default at around 20% position) and "Repeat speed" (default around 90% position) sliders, some said changing these sliders returned key repeat functionality.

2. Try this terminal command:

Code: Select all

xset r on
xset is a user preference utility for X
The r option controls the autorepeat.
As I understood, this command is not persistent, so if it works, Google how to make xset persistent.

For more suggestions, Google - linux key repeat not working.
But as always, be careful when following suggestions online, be mindful about terminal commands.

Report back what worked for you.

Return to “Beginner Questions”