LMDE with Gnome desktop

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around LMDE as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums within the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mccaldeira
Level 1
Level 1

LMDE with Gnome desktop

Post by mccaldeira »

The standard desktop for Debian 12 is Gnome. Hence my question: is it possible to have an LMDE with the Gnome desktop?
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Re: LMDE with Gnome desktop

Post by MiZoG »

Welcome to Mint forums mccaldeira
It is possible (but not recommended for starters).
Debian Wiki lists your options

My two cents: I find installing Debian vanilla itself if you want Gnome on top of a Debian base more sensible.
If there's something special in LMDE apart from Cinnamon desktop that you wish to keep, you could perhaps recreate it on a vanilla Debian installation.

It is Linux, you can install multiple Desktop Environments but after logging on Gnome it won't be Mint.
You may face conflicts in system configuration you may not. Menus populated by multiple applications for the same thing. Lack of polish you might have expected from a ready-made environment etc. You may have to prune in the end the whole or elements of the old environment in favour of the new. Last but not least you won't find easily help on certain user forums. Mint users... well... are Mint users and the only link with Mint that your Gnome environment will have is the common installation media and on Debian forums every mention of LMDE will have your thread dismissed or relegated to off-topic.
bin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bin »

mccaldeira wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:41 pm The standard desktop for Debian 12 is Gnome. Hence my question: is it possible to have an LMDE with the Gnome desktop?
Of course it is - it's just linux after all.
I have laptop which started with LMDE Cinnamon, then added XFCE and in response to your query just added GNOME and it's all quite happy.

I suggest avoiding the GNOME meta package. Just add gnome-core, gnome-extension-manager and a good dollop of extensions from synaptic and away you go. I kept to lightdm rather than using gdm when prompted simply because I prefer it. I've no idea how familiar you are with gnome - but assume you know how to drive and configure it. Shows 1.34gb RAM at idle on a 16gb machine. Seems OK speed-wise but this is a 10 year old i3 Thinkpad E530 so not really a speed machine.

Enjoy. If you break it then start again.

If you feel like an out of the box GNOME then Spiral Linux is good - keeps the cruft to a minimum. I had a few issues with web site connections just not working with it - but that may have been down to many causes though unique to Spiral YMMV.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

If you install Debian with Gnome the difference with LMDE + Gnome will be huge, the former gives you a fully developed Wayland session.
-=t42=-

Return to “Beginner Questions”