another "HDMI port not working" due to NVIDIA conflicts

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
throatgorge
Level 3
Level 3

Re: another "HDMI port not working" due to NVIDIA conflict SOLVEDs

Post by throatgorge »

I don't think it could be the tv/monitor, like I said I tried two different monitors, no output except the "no signal." Plugged in another laptop and the monitor and TV both work terrific, but I suspected the fact that my error message identified the monitor or TV meant it was detected. I'm leaving everything set up the way it is until I get more instructions. I hope the code I sent will shed some light. Thank you for being so patient with me.
Last edited by throatgorge on Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: another "HDMI port not working" due to NVIDIA conflicts

Post by SMG »

throatgorge wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:23 pmPlugged in another laptop and the monitor and TV both work terrific..
With what operating system being used?
throatgorge wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:23 pm I hope the code I sent will shed some light.
It all looks normal. I don't see anything of concern there.

X Server runs the graphics in Linux Mint. Please use this command in a terminal to upload the X Server log file to termbin:

Code: Select all

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | nc termbin.com 9999
It will return with a url address that you can post in your next reply.

Are there any settings in the BIOS/UEFI related to external monitors/HDMi ports? I don't know that ASUS has any, but I know other manufacturers sometimes do.
throatgorge wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:06 pm No I crashed constantly with 21, crashed constantly with garuda arch-linux, learned along the way that there are certainly nvidia driver compatability issues. Ubuntu was supposed to have the right drivers; tried that. Kept crashing.
What exactly does "crash" mean happened? Please describe what you saw/heard or expected to see but didn't, etc. to give someone (such as me :mrgreen: ) who wasn't there an understanding of what happened when it "crashed". (Not everyone uses that term the same way.)
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
throatgorge
Level 3
Level 3

Post by throatgorge »

crash is a "freeze"; my screen would freeze, none of the mouse or keyboard would work. Only thing to do was long press the power button and hard reset. Other times the screen suddenly went blank, the asus logo comes on and next thing you know, I'm rebooting... unrelated to anything. it would just reboot.
My other laptop is a junk laptop my cousin gave me that came with windows 7, I installed linux on it and it now runs mint 21 xfce.
I'll go over everything in my BIOS/UFEI to see if that is available.
here is the URL: https://termbin.com/6kdo
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

throatgorge wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:27 pm crash is a "freeze"; my screen would freeze, none of the mouse or keyboard would work. Only thing to do was long press the power button and hard reset.
I consider a freeze something different from a crash with regards to how to troubleshoot the issue. In those types of situations I normally would check the end of the prior boot cycle to see if there were any indications of problems. I don't think you said that was happening now with your current install, but if it does again, you would want to run

journalctl -b -1 | tail -n 200
and check for error messages. That gives the last 200 lines of the prior boot cycle. You can adjust the last number to get more or less lines.
throatgorge wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:27 pm Other times the screen suddenly went blank, the asus logo comes on and next thing you know, I'm rebooting... unrelated to anything. it would just reboot.
Unfortunately, that can often be the sign of a problematic power supply unit. The operating system does not spontaneously lose power such that the laptop has to restart. That is hardware that would do that.
throatgorge wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:27 pmhere is the URL: https://termbin.com/6kdo
There's a warning about the TV, but it says it goes to the default. However, the TV's EDID is not listed in the Xorg log (although it is in xrandr).

[     8.637] (WW) NVIDIA(G0): Cannot find size of first mode for VIZ E280-A1 (DFP-0); cannot
[     8.637] (WW) NVIDIA(G0):     compute DPI from VIZ E280-A1 (DFP-0)'s EDID.
[     8.637] (==) NVIDIA(G0): DPI set to (75, 75); computed from built-in default
If you open the Nvidia X Server Settings app, is there information about the TV in it?

X Server says it is there:

[    10.283] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): VIZ E280-A1 (DFP-0): connected
[    10.283] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): VIZ E280-A1 (DFP-0): Internal TMDS
[    10.283] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): VIZ E280-A1 (DFP-0): 600.0 MHz maximum pixel clock
[    10.283] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0):
Usually in cases where there is an EDID problem, the EDID does not show up in xrandr. It is in your situation. You also have a dual-GPU situation where the laptop screen is connected to the onboard AMD GPU so we have to be careful not to shut that out if attempting any workarounds.
throatgorge
Level 3
Level 3

Post by throatgorge »

I checked the nvidia applet, there is information about my tv.
HDMI-1-0-(VIZ E280-A1)
chip location, internal
signal TMDS
G-SYNC mode available
G-SYNC mode enabled- no
then it has a "controls" tab that says:
color space: RGB current color space: RGB
color range": full current color range: full
dithering controls: auto current dithering: disabled
mode: auto current mode: none
depth: auto current depth: none
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

throatgorge wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:09 pm I checked the nvidia applet, there is information about my tv.
HDMI-1-0-(VIZ E280-A1)
chip location, internal
signal TMDS
G-SYNC mode available
G-SYNC mode enabled- no
then it has a "controls" tab that says:
color space: RGB current color space: RGB
color range": full current color range: full
dithering controls: auto current dithering: disabled
mode: auto current mode: none
depth: auto current depth: none
But it is not listing a resolution anywhere?
throatgorge wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:03 pm

Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 16384 x 16384
eDP connected primary 1920x1080+0+0 (0x55) normal (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 344mm x 194mm
HDMI-1-0 connected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
Normally, when there is more than one monitor, the data you see for your eDP (laptop screen) on the line above has a comparable output for the HDMI. It does not in this case. I noticed that earlier, but didn't realize the significance until I did more searching tonight.

Here is an example of someone else's output. Notice the numbers before and after the part in parenthesis.

Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 3600 x 1080, maximum 16384 x 16384
DisplayPort-0 connected primary 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 510mm x 287mm
DisplayPort-1 connected 1680x1050+1920+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 473mm x 296mm
I will go through the Nvidia-535.166 ReadMe tomorrow to see if we can work around this issue or if there might be a reason for this anomaly.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

I wasn't seeing anything in the Nvidia documentation so I went searching on the Xfce forum and found this topic Third screen disabled and can't enable it. Their situation is slightly different because they are using Intel graphics (which is open-source and works more directly with xrandr settings), but the problem sounds the same. They literally have the same missing information in the xrandr output that you have and their monitor is showing as Disabled in the Display app.

The topic is from a few years ago (and thus a different version of Xfce), but see if anything mentioned in that topic helps. (The last post is only a year old.)

Did you try this with the nouveau graphics driver? You might have to run the tests in the topic using nouveau because nvidia doesn't always obey xrandr command directly, but maybe not.
throatgorge
Level 3
Level 3

Post by throatgorge »

nouveau graphics driver works, my monitor is back... but will I experience freezes and random reboots again? time will tell. :D

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”