Linux mint black screen after GRUB

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Arkael
Level 1
Level 1

Linux mint black screen after GRUB

Post by Arkael »

Hi, I'm new to linux. Today I decided to install Linux mint Mate the latest version, dual boot with windows 10.

Everything was fine, iso verified, usb flashed correctly, Linux mint was booting I installed it. Reboot and here comes the first problem SQUASH ERROR unable to read data/page all over my screen, I googled it and restarted. GRUB appears to be normal, when trying to boot linux mint just a black screen, I restart and the same, this time a '_' was blinking but I wasn't able to type anything (tried ctrl alt F1 didn't work).

When booting from Linux mint secure mode there's a bunch of data on the screen but nothing else happens. Then I tried to boot windows 10, it starts but when loading it freezes and doesn't get further.

My pc is very low specs and old:
MB ASROCK G41M-VS3
CPU Intel dual core E300 3.0ghz (as far as I recall)
RAM 4gb
HARD DISK Hitachi 450gb

I need help ASAP
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Linux mint black screen after GRUB

Post by Pierre »

Hi Arkael ,
welcome to our forum
:)

- what program did you use to write that ISO to the usb stick ?
- did you use the existing windows -10 system to do that ?
- do you still have an windows -10 ISO to repair the windows boot loader
:arrow:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Arkael
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Arkael »

Problem fixed apparently. I shut down my pc for ten minutes of so, when I turn it on linux mint worked perfectly (haven't tested windows 10 yet)
I used balena etcher, and did it from windows, and no, i don't have an iso of windows 10.
Now I'm facing a different problem, linux mint doesn't recognize audio devices.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Arkael wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:53 pmNow I'm facing a different problem, linux mint doesn't recognize audio devices.
That is a different issue. Please check the Sound forum including Tips for Troubleshooting Sound Issues Rev. 1.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Installation & Boot”