[SOLVED] Looking for Software to Monitor Hardware Temps.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Soul Hacker
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Looking for Software to Monitor Hardware Temps.

Post by Soul Hacker »

I am using HWMoniter on my Windows PC, but I need something like that for my new Linux PC.
I did some looking around and really didn't see any appealing options.
So I am hoping some of you will have some suggestions for me.

I need something simple and straight forward, to show me the CPU temperature, and heatsink/case fan speeds.
The PC is new and I want to be able to monitor things for awhile to make sure everything is running like it should be.

Thanks in advance.
EDIT: Okay, I guess there's just the one suggestion.
Last edited by Soul Hacker on Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kory
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Looking for Software to Monitor Hardware Temps.

Post by Kory »

Would an applet like this work for you? https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/337
Soul Hacker
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Soul Hacker »

That does look promising. Though how to install it looks confusing to me.
Bookmarked it though and will look into it. Thanks!

It would be great if there's something I can just grab from the Software Manager, if possible.

Anyone else?
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

Showing hardware sensor data is mostly a driver support issue in Linux. CPU temperature is commonly available but fan speed depends. There are so many motherboards and they don't standardize on an exactly equal interface for reading motherboard sensor data. Some motherboards are supported out of the box. Some motherboards need the latest kernel. Some need out-of-tree driver install. Some just don't have that ready for Linux.

About how to install the "Sensors Monitor" applet:
If you are running Cinnamon as DE, right click on empty space of the panel/taskbar, click "applets" > "download", search the applet name in the search box. Install the applet by clicking the button on that entry. Go back to "manage" to "+(add)" it to your systray. In between it shall ask you password for some extra package installation, agree them all.

Cinnamon applet is exclusive for Cinnamon, not for Mate and Xfce.

p.s. In theory proprietary tools such as HWMonitor can read all motherboards, so they must have all the required information given by motherboard vendors. Sadly those data are not publicly available and proprietary tool makers probably signed a lot of NDA contract in order to get those information from manufacturers.
Soul Hacker
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Soul Hacker »

billyswong wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:12 amAbout how to install the "Sensors Monitor" applet:
If you are running Cinnamon as DE, right click on empty space of the panel/taskbar, click "applets" > "download", search the applet name in the search box. Install the applet by clicking the button on that entry. Go back to "manage" to "+(add)" it to your systray. In between it shall ask you password for some extra package installation, agree them all.

Cinnamon applet is exclusive for Cinnamon, not for Mate and Xfce.
Yup, I do have the Cinnamon version.
I am on my Windows PC at the moment but I will be sure to give your instructions a try tomorrow.
Thanks for explaining what I need to do.

Return to “Beginner Questions”