System Report - USRMERGE

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
yaklinux
Level 1
Level 1

System Report - USRMERGE

Post by yaklinux »

My system reports notice is telling me I need to perform a "usrmerge". Photos attached. I've tried searching for this and it doesn't seem to be getting anywhere...

Terminal code I found that checks if the system has it already setup:

Code: Select all

$ ls -ld /bin /sbin /lib /libx32 /lib64 /lib32
ls: cannot access '/libx32': No such file or directory
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    7 Mar 16 20:08 /bin -> usr/bin
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    7 Mar 16 20:08 /lib -> usr/lib
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Apr  1 19:08 /lib32
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    9 Mar 16 20:08 /lib64 -> usr/lib64
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    8 Mar 16 20:08 /sbin -> usr/sbin

How do I fix this and why was it an issue in the first place?
djph
Level 8
Level 8

Re: System Report - USRMERGE

Post by djph »

"usrmerge" is an attempt by upstream developers / distros to "clean up(tm)" the filesystem.

There is a "usrmerge" package that would do this for you (which given your output "seems" to have been installed already). If it's not yet actually applied, given some troubles I've seen in Debian and Ubuntu; make sure you've got a timeshift snapshot before you apply it.
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

I pull the blog entry, there is one roughly on the first of the month every month, with some additional ones as needed. This is from Jan 2020, but I do remember a blog post prior to this "how to upgrade" that introduced the idea anyway, I can't find it easily.

But there: https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=4020
yaklinux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yaklinux »

It says this should be done for new installs already for a while. I just installed Mint a couple weeks ago. Why would this error be happening? Based on the terminal command I showed - the only folder which isn't "linked" is the lib32 folder. I tried moving the files but they won't move.
yaklinux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yaklinux »

Anyone?

I still have a "lib32" folder with (files inside it) that doesn't have the arrow link on it. Running these usrmerge commands doesn't do anything. How do I know what is using that file/library?
djph
Level 8
Level 8

Post by djph »

/lib32 is 32bit libraries for 32bit applications. Chances are it's not a high priority, since 32bit is dead.
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

if I'm not mistaken, but I might be, they were trying to drop 32 bit support for I believe it was the equivalent Mint 20(Ubuntu 20.04), but they drew back on that when a bunch of people freaked out absolutely. But for Mint 21(Ubuntu 22.04) I think ... ah, hell, I don't know if they did it one way or the other. I was thinking steam was using a base 32 bit support anyway, maybe just the steam base. And WINE is typically wanting to be very 32 bit-ready...

Let me be clear, I have no clue where everything stands.

BUT, clearly, whoever is running 32 bit-only hardware is in a bad situation, but to be true it's really not bad, that's severe legacy stuff and almost basically nobody even tries to use that dastardly setup anymore. And definitely the Ubuntu's/Mints have not supported a base 32 bit installed for at least more than 3 years, even though there may still be some minimal back support at least.

Sometimes it's better to go ahead and use it as a doorstop, when the literal usage condition is exactly that.

yaklinux, for your situation, perhaps your scenario has come about due to upgrades from previous version, or maybe some specific software situation, but should be nothing to be concerned about as long as we have status quo.
djph
Level 8
Level 8

Post by djph »

Almost -- /lib32 is still used today when you need to pull in 32bit libraries (like for steam, or maybe an old printer, etc.)

Honestly, this need for 32bit libraries is going to hang around for a while still. I think it was only Windows 11 that finally murdered 16bit support in Windows land (and that died as hardware in the 80s)

Return to “Beginner Questions”