Call the next release - Mint 24

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Call the next release - Mint 24

Post by Moem »

poster24 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:25 am After all, Presentation is just as important as content :idea:
That is an opinion that you get to have, but it's still an opinion.

Personally I'm not convinced by the arguments in this thread. I would prefer if the team sticks with the numbering convention they have been following. I'm perfectly fine with using a 22 version of something in the year 2024.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
punkbiscuit
Level 3
Level 3

Post by punkbiscuit »

Personally I don't mind version numbers, or year style numbers.

But I do take exception to nick names / codename references based upon crappy book characters or girls names
or whatever nonsense they use.

Bookworms /Maggots / Stretchy Balls, Vanessa .

They mean nothing at all to me.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

poster24 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:25 am Atleast in my opinion (and of a few others), the second scheme offers a much better user-recall and a seemingly more modern name/version !
Many more reasons/justifications have been given in previous comments - you can have a quick look..
I did read through it all. I still disagree. And I always recoil when I hear the word "modern" as applied to anything computers. It usually just means a de-evolution.
poster24
Level 1
Level 1

Post by poster24 »

@punkbiscuit - "Maggots" / "Bookworms" are lame but I've heard "Wicked Wanda" is quite fun :wink:

@Schultz - I agree, many companies have abused the term "modern" to mean "Many important things have been hidden to make it more child-friendly..".
I'll replace "modern" with "updated" from hereon..
garyofscotland
Level 1
Level 1

Post by garyofscotland »

I somewhat agree with the OP. I think even more so since current Mint version numbers are so close to calendar years. It's inconvenient having to look up which Mint and Ubuntu versions line up. Now, if Ubuntu decides to go down some bizarre numbering system then we are back to square one in regards to the inconvenience of it all. Matching Mint versions to the calendar should however be 'all in' IMHO rather than just the year, e.g. 24.06 for May 2024, etc which presumably means we'll have a 25.06 release. Food for thought for the wonderful maintainers.
fernandosousa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fernandosousa »

I totally agree with the OP.
Linux Mint is such an amazing product and deserves to use a versioning scheme that shows upfront its user-friendliness :)
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

The OP and their supporters are proposing to move to Ubuntu's versioning scheme against the one used by Debian, Fedora, OpenSUZE and many others arguing that 2024 is a good opportunity to a change by stealth. After such change Linux Mint will be successfully lost the crowd of Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu etc. I'm using twenty first major release of Linux Mint and prefer not to use version ID as a calendar.
-=t42=-
poster24
Level 1
Level 1

Post by poster24 »

@t42 - it's not just Ubuntu's versioning scheme, it has been used widely across the industry for many decades..
LibreOffice 24
Adobe Creative Cloud 2024
AutoCAD 24
Oracle Database 23
MS Office 2024 (upcoming)
various MS Windows versions..
WPS Office
Norton / Symantec products
FIFA 24 / NHL 24..

Of course, there are many good examples for both types of versioning schemes but please don't label this suggestion as some sort of bowing-down to Ubuntu..
TaterChip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TaterChip »

poster24 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:57 pm Also, in a practical sense,
It would make it less confusing for developers to name, link and maintain the correct repositories, libraries and binaries (wrt. ubuntu)
and
Much easier for the users to find the right software compatible with their installations
Does that mean we are going to get LMDE 25 next?
When it comes to your data... two is one, one is none!
TaterChip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TaterChip »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:45 pm Skipping a version number in Mint may cause the same uproar that occurred when MS went from Win8.x directly to Win 10; it seemed like everybody and their dog wanted to know what happened to Win 9.
I was just the opposite. I was thinking, is there any conceivable way I can get winXP back. At the time I was on win7, and didn't like the direction windows was heading. With each release, they were taking away more control over our own machines. I ended up on 10, but that is as far as my windows journey goes. I've given them 30+ years of my life.
TaterChip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TaterChip »

Schultz wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:13 pm And I always recoil when I hear the word "modern" as applied to anything computers. It usually just means a de-evolution.
I,m right there with ya on that. Especially the abomination of Thunderbird v115 all in the name of making it modern. I will confess that v115.10 is at least palatable.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

TaterChip wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 11:11 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:45 pm Skipping a version number in Mint may cause the same uproar that occurred when MS went from Win8.x directly to Win 10; it seemed like everybody and their dog wanted to know what happened to Win 9.
I was just the opposite. I was thinking, is there any conceivable way I can get winXP back. At the time I was on win7, and didn't like the direction windows was heading. With each release, they were taking away more control over our own machines. I ended up on 10, but that is as far as my windows journey goes. I've given them 30+ years of my life.
I was the same except I wanted to keep Win 7 the same as it was before MS started messing around with it trying to trick or force people to downgrade to Win 8.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

TaterChip wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 11:16 am
Schultz wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:13 pm And I always recoil when I hear the word "modern" as applied to anything computers. It usually just means a de-evolution.
I,m right there with ya on that...
Same here. It has been happening everywhere for some time. I just watched a wood working video where the woodworker painted the face frames of her kitchen cabinets and replaced the beautiful traditionally crafted cabinet doors with painted plain flat slabs to get a more modern look :roll: . The cabinets were rather dark so I could have forgiven her if she just painted them a lighter color. I would have just refinished the originals, doing any minor repairs needed as I went, possibly bleaching the wood to lighten it some, just enough to allow the wood grain to show.

"Modern", anymore now, is a marketing spin that really means make a product that looks plain so it costs less to make. :roll:
Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald on Sun May 05, 2024 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Neophyte
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Neophyte »

I kind of wish they would use naming based on the year of release. So if it released in 2024, it would be v24. If it released in 2026 it would be v26.
Patience is a virtue, but there are no saints left in this world.
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GELvdH »

Elliminate all version numbers and just call it "Next Version" :lol:
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

poster24 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:12 am @t42 - it's not just Ubuntu's versioning scheme, it has been used widely across the industry for many decades..
LibreOffice 24
Adobe Creative Cloud 2024
AutoCAD 24
Oracle Database 23
MS Office 2024 (upcoming)
various MS Windows versions..
WPS Office
Norton / Symantec products
FIFA 24 / NHL 24..
We know about existence of different versioning schemes but what the above list has to do with Linux distributions?
poster24 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:12 am Of course, there are many good examples for both types of versioning schemes but please don't label this suggestion as some sort of bowing-down to Ubuntu..
I do not label your lobbying, I just pointing out the fact that the LM 24 release will be unrecognizable and lost among those 24 releases:
Ubuntu
Ubuntu Cinnamon
Ubuntu Kylin
Edubuntu
Ubuntu Unity
Ubuntu Unity
Ubuntu Budgie
Ubuntu Studio
Ubuntu MATE
Xubuntu
Lubuntu
-=t42=-
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

I find this all very interesting and amusing - honestly, a serious conversion regarding how Mint versions are numbered. :lol:

But now this has been brought up - a topic that never even entered my conscious thought - I want to know why LMDE cannot be renumbered to match Debian stable release on which it is based? rather than LMDE 6 it should be LMDE 12 or the year the LMDE version is released, or wait . . . maybe it should be the year the Debian stable release is released . . . no that would cause too much confusion. How about the LMDE version number matching the Mint Ubuntu based version number so not LMDE 6 rather LMDE 21 - or would that be LMDE 24? Oh, never mind just leave it the way it is.
TaterChip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TaterChip »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 3:31 pm
TaterChip wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 11:11 am
I was the same except I wanted to keep Win 7 the same as it was before MS started messing around with it trying to trick or force people to downgrade to Win 8.
That forced downgrade is what set me on the never update path, and after 11 years it has rolled over into Linux
TaterChip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TaterChip »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 3:42 pm
TaterChip wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 11:16 am
I,m right there with ya on that...
Same here. It has been happening everywhere for some time. I just watched a wood working video where the woodworker painted the face frames of her kitchen cabinets and replaced the beautiful traditionally crafted cabinet doors with painted plain flat slabs to get a more modern look :roll: . The cabinets were rather dark so I could have forgiven her if she just painted them a lighter color. I would have just refinished the originals, doing any minor repairs needed as I went, possibly bleaching the wood to lighten it some, just enough to allow the wood grain to show.

"Modern", anymore now, is a marketing spin that really means make a product that looks plain so it costs less to make. :roll:
That's enough to make a person want to ball up in a corner and want to cry.
poster24
Level 1
Level 1

Post by poster24 »

t42 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 5:04 pm We know about existence of different versioning schemes but what the above list has to do with Linux distributions?
Ok t42, you sent me back to the drawing board and here is what I came up with..
I would consider distrowatch.com as a reasonable watchlist of the current linux flavours in fashion and a respectable decision making tool used by many "new users" wanting to try out/move to linux. And...Out of the top 6, 4 distros use the "year" based versioning scheme !
MX Linux
EndeavourOS
Ubuntu
Manjaro

You are concerned that Mint would drown in a sea of Ubuntus if labelled as v.24, but I would argue that this is a crucial "visibility tool" to avoid drowning. This simple tool (versioning scheme) is used not just by countless other softwares mentioned above but also by some of the most visible/downloaded linux distros !

*I understand that distrowatch doesn't represent the complete linux-verse but it does paint a useful picture of what the new users are choosing !

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”