mpv script doesn't work

About writing shell scripts and making the most of your shell
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
PatrykX
Level 1
Level 1

mpv script doesn't work

Post by PatrykX »

Hi everyone,
Recently I've switched to Linux Mint again after testing some other distros, and now some stuff that worked perfectly fine previously, don't work. One of these things are certain mpv scripts. What would I do previously is just copy the script folder to my .config/mpv and everything worked perfectly. Now when I do that, scripts like crop.lua or blur_edges.lua work only in certain conditions like fullscreen and in order for crop.lua to work blur_edges.lua must be activated. I do not understand this at all. Can someone help me with this? Those are the scripts I use - https://github.com/occivink/mpv-scripts
Kind regards to everyone for help.
dave0808
Level 5
Level 5

Re: mpv script doesn't work

Post by dave0808 »

I've not looked at your scripts but this kind of thing can happen due to versions. Other Linux distributions, especially those with rolling releases, can have newer versions of some programs. If you create a script that works with that version, it then may not work when you try it on Mint, which is based on the last LTS Ubuntu, which (at this time of writing) is nearly 2 years old.

When the next version of Mint comes along, it will be based on the newest Ubuntu LTS, and will have newer versions of the packages (where available).

So you should first check that you're running the same version of mpv.
Dan-cer
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Dan-cer »

Welcome to this forum! Have you completely reinstalled LM? Incl. /home ? If so, the probability is as dave0808 wrote. However, if you have taken over ~/.config files from other distros, for example, this could have caused problems. I had that recently.
How you get better results when searching for yourself.
Having problems with translate into English? Use Deepl Translator 1-click-button in editor - available for Firefox and chromium-based browsers.
PatrykX
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PatrykX »

Well, even if I reinstalled fresh, unmodified by me scripts from the github page, I still have problems. I can reinstall linux mint, but do I really have to reinstall the whole system whenever something like this happens?
PatrykX
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PatrykX »

Okay I reinstalled Linux Mint, reinstalled fresh new scripts and it did absolutely nothing.
PatrykX
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PatrykX »

Okay, the solution to this was setting hwdec=no in mpv.conf.

Return to “Scripts & Bash”