another major state power has abandoned MS Windows

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

another major state power has abandoned MS Windows

Post by AZgl1800 »

Last edited by LockBot on Sun May 05, 2024 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Dullard du Jour
Level 5
Level 5

Re: another major state power has abandoned MS Windows

Post by Dullard du Jour »

Good, I hope they are successful. I don't recall what the country or city was that tried before and failed, but I read there were thought to be some back office dealings that lead to the failure. Frankly, I don't understand how a move to Linux can fail, not when there have major companies that ditch MS for Google cloud and business software...software that I thought sucked, sucked, and sucked some more. If a business can make it on Google software, then they ought to be able to make it on Linux. :)
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

Dullard du Jour wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:14 pmFrankly, I don't understand how a move to Linux can fail
All it takes is a handful of powerful managers with loud voices and some unhappy office drones.

In the distant past I worked for a company that used Lotus Notes/Domino and SmartSuite. Notes had its flaws, but I found it to be a very powerful and useful platform once I learned how to think beyond cc:Mail. Ami Pro is my second-favorite word processor (behind DeScribe for OS/2), Approach was the "right size" database that Access could never be, and Organizer was very handy.

The shift started when the company bought a small competitor - it was a Micros~1 house, and that small group (20-ish) was allowed to continue to use Office and Outlook [spit]. It did not take long for the incompatible file formats to cause problems. Rather than force those 20 to work with the company standards, the company decided to make the other 350+ move to Office. The move was complete in less than two years.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
Dullard du Jour
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dullard du Jour »

I remember the IBM Lotus Notes, we used it for a number of years and then IT management changed and they went to something else, I don't recall what we went to at the moment but, it was not as good as Lotus Notes and there was a great wailing and gnashing of teeth. Every time there was a change in IT upper management, office tools became more dysfunctional. Eventually all internal support went to India, based on the lack of knowledge, I would say the company was paying as little as they could.

The 'Company' always being security conscious about the network and customer date then decided it was a good idea to use Google Cloud and the Google suite of business tools...which were deplorable. I endured that for about two years before I retired.
diyliberty
Level 3
Level 3

Post by diyliberty »

"Due to the high hardware requirements of Windows 11, we would have a problem with older computers. With Linux we don't have that," Albrecht told Heise magazine, per a Google translation.
IMO MS really screwed this one up. They could have easily made Win11 backwards compatible with older hardware. They chose not to. This was not as big of a change as going from Win98 to XP. There was a dramatic change in how the OS worked and really did require new hardware. They did it because of "security". They could have made the security features optional.

Windows used to be the vast majority of MS's earnings. Today it is about 28% of their earnings with Office and Azure (server) making up the rest. I don't think their focus is there and even if they completely lost dominance in the desktop market, it won't hurt them too much.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Let's hope that Schleswig-Holstein (a small German Bundesland) will succeed. So far, the only long-term successful governmental switch to Linux is, as far as I know, Gendbuntu. Which is a project of the French State Police:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GendBuntu
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

Going from Windows to Linux, for companies, cities or governments, may be very painful if a lot of development has been done with Microsoft tools:

- Microsoft Office includes a macro language, available for Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access... This macro language is not compatible with LibreOffice one; and very powerful applications can be programmed with it: accountancy, sales previsions, even state budget simulation (a big Excel sheet is used by French state)...

- Intranet can be programmed with Microsoft tools, and be compatible only with some browsers (some companies are still obliged to use "Internet Explorer" compatibility mode to use their intranet).

- Employees, trained to use Microsoft Office and Windows, need training to LibreOffice and Linux.

- Several Microsoft tools are not available on Linux.

- Several programs are not available on Linux.

So, migrating can be very painful and expensive, for a company, a city, a state, even with the best good will.
Much more painful than for individual users (though I have migrated several years ago, I still need Windows running in a virtual machine to use some programs).

Regards,

MN
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Never underestimate the power of large corporations to be....convincing.....

Return to “Open Chat”