[SOLVED] Copy/Paste between Mint 21.3 and VMware Fusion 13

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mschmitt
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Copy/Paste between Mint 21.3 and VMware Fusion 13

Post by mschmitt »

I'm trying to get copy /paste & drag-and-drop integration working between my Mac and Linux Mint. I don't know when this last worked, but have had no luck getting it to work now. It is like this host integration is off.

Host is macOS Ventura 13.6.6
Fusion is VMware Fusion Player 13.5.1
Guest is Linux Mint 21.3 "Virginia" - Cinnamon (64-bit)

I installed open-vm-tools-desktop using the Snaptics package manager. I think both open-vm-tools and open-vm-tools-desktop are at the current version, at least through the configured sources.

Fusion Settings > Isolation > has both "Enable Drag and Drop" and "Enable Copy and Paste" selected. Fusion > Virtual Machine > Reinstall VMware Tools is greyed out.

The symptom is that if I Copy something on my Mac, it doesn't Paste into the Linux guest, or vice versa. And dragging a file to the Linux desktop does nothing.

What am I missing here? Googling finds other people with problems but I don't see solutions other than to use open-vm-tools-desktop.
Last edited by mschmitt on Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Copy/Paste between Mint 21.3 and VMware Fusion 13

Post by Reddog1 »

I'm typing this in a fully updated Mint 21.2 guest VM with VMWare Fusion 13.5.1 and a Ventura 13.6.5 host. (did you mis-type the ventura version?)

Drag and Drop works both ways. Your settings appear to be the same as mine.

I have Ventura System Settings > General > Sharing > File Sharing turned on with my user having read and write permissions but I don't think that has any effect on drag and drop (I also share Ventura folders with the guest)

Seems wrong that you needed to install open-vm-tools and open-vm-tools-desktop, because both were installed by default with my mint VM's. You shouldn't have needed to install anything. I have 2 apples set up this way, one Xfce guest, the other LMDE.

I suspect that could be the problem.............
mschmitt
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Copy/Paste between Mint 21.3 and VMware Fusion 13

Post by mschmitt »

Yes, I'm on Ventura 13.6.6, which was recently released.

I got it working, finally. I've had this Linux VM for about 10 years, so I think it was confused by some mixture of the old VMware tools and the newer open-vm-tools.

What finally fixed it was:
  1. Completely remove the open-vm-tools version: sudo apt-get --purge remove open-vm-tools
  2. Completely remove VMware Tools: sudo /usr/bin/vmware-uninstall-tools.pl
  3. Reboot guest just in case
  4. Remove obsolete packages: sudo apt autoremove
  5. Reinstall open-vm-tools: sudo apt install open-vm-tools-desktop
  6. Reboot guest (this one definitely required)
Thanks for your reply, it let me know that my configuration should work.

Return to “Virtual Machines”