How to get better search results for solving your issue

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
Dan-cer
Level 6
Level 6

How to get better search results for solving your issue

Post by Dan-cer »

Where do you start searching for any issue of Linux Mint?
Are you using forum search?
Are you disappointed then because you didn't find what you are searching for?
Here I'm telling you how to improve your searching by NOT using the forum search tool in the first place.

Update: I'm very thankful that SMG commented my post with this:
Or you could read How to get help and use the second option under searching.

[1] Search Before Posting
  • Search the Linux Mint forums and Google for questions before posting.
  • As the forum search function is very limited, you should consider searching the Linux Mint forum site with Google, Yahoo, DuckDuckGo or your favourite search engine by entering site:forums.linuxmint.com with your search query.
Also, if one is going to search Linux Mint forums, it is possible to search on multiple words (ie. for the phrase) if one encloses the words in quote marks.
SMG gives helpful recommendations: 1. to enter kind of prefix to browser search and 2. to search for longer terms in forum by using quote marks.
That was new to me. And I totally forgot to study How to get help anew to get updated what is already a useful information for successful searching present in this forum.

Continuation of the HowTo:

Use instead the most propriate browser search engines. They certainly have a way more advanced search algorithm.

You'll have the most relevant links right on the top with your favorite search machine (if it is advanced, like Startpage), while with forum search you have to hustle yourself through hundreds of entries, unsorted, having a relevant entry on page 57...

Over the years I found that my searches with the internal forum search (in any forum!) were much more ineffective than with Google (I prefer now Startpage, Metager, etc.). That's why I now immediately do it via Startpage (Google...). As I said above: They just have a better algorithm.

Accordingly to SMG - see above - when I'm not just searching for one word, but for an error message or code that consists of several words, the forum search term should put into quote marks: "lore ipsum"

Advanced search:
In my browser - that is Vivaldi - I have assembled about 30 different search engines, not only for general search but also special ones. I can then use not only Startpage for my search item, but also Bing, Quant, Metager or Yandex. (The item remains in search box.)
search-engines.png
Last edited by Dan-cer on Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
How you get better results when searching for yourself.
Having problems with translate into English? Use Deepl Translator 1-click-button in editor - available for Firefox and chromium-based browsers.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: How to get better search results for solving your issue

Post by SMG »

Dan-cer wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:10 am Where do you start searching for any issue of Linux Mint?
Are you using forum search?
Are you disappointed then because you didn't find what you are searching for?
Here I'm telling you how to improve your searching by NOT using the forum search tool.
Or you could read How to get help and use the second option under searching.

[1] Search Before Posting
  • Search the Linux Mint forums and Google for questions before posting.
  • As the forum search function is very limited, you should consider searching the Linux Mint forum site with Google, Yahoo, DuckDuckGo or your favourite search engine by entering site:forums.linuxmint.com with your search query.
Also, if one is going to search Linux Mint forums, it is possible to search on multiple words (ie. for the phrase) if one encloses the words in quote marks.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Dan-cer
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Dan-cer »

Thank you very much for your comment, SMG! I have learned 2 important points and will correct my post accordingly.
How you get better results when searching for yourself.
Having problems with translate into English? Use Deepl Translator 1-click-button in editor - available for Firefox and chromium-based browsers.
ScubaMan-1970
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ScubaMan-1970 »

SMG, this is an excellent post. I'll use your suggestions. Thanks, eh.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
North Bruce Peninsula, Ontario, Canada; https://blackcat.blog/
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Moderator note: Misplaced post was moved to its intended location.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Tutorials”