Logitech Brio USB-camera - suggested UI?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ScubaMan-1970
Level 1
Level 1

Logitech Brio USB-camera - suggested UI?

Post by ScubaMan-1970 »

Loving my MINT-Mate on my HP Deskpro 6000. Re: webcam hardware-UI. I did a quick troll of the threads. In 2023, the topic was brought up: viewtopic.php?p=2118934&hilit=Logitech+ ... m#p2118934
...and was closed by the forum's bot. Fair enough. I'm trying to get the most out of my web camera. I'm running LINUX Mint (Mate). I'm trying out the following 2 user interfaces: CHEESE and the capture feature of VLC. They provide basic functions.

That's okay... however, I'd like to access more features from my camera. What do you (pl.) suggest?
Last edited by SMG on Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved from Graphics Cards & Monitors to Software & Applications because webcams are not controlled by graphics drivers and the request is for software apps for the webcam.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
North Bruce Peninsula, Ontario, Canada; https://blackcat.blog/
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Dan-cer
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Logitech Brio USB-camera - suggested UI?

Post by Dan-cer »

I searched "best webcam app linux mint" with Startpage and found this page.
The first mentioned is Webcamoid, that is to be found in Application Manager. You could check if it fits your needs.
How you get better results when searching for yourself.
Having problems with translate into English? Use Deepl Translator 1-click-button in editor - available for Firefox and chromium-based browsers.
ScubaMan-1970
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Logitech Brio USB-camera - suggested UI?

Post by ScubaMan-1970 »

Dan-cer wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:43 am I searched "best webcam app linux mint" with Startpage and found this page.
The first mentioned is Webcamoid, that is to be found in Application Manager. You could check if it fits your needs.
Nice. I'll check it out. Thanks!

REVISED = APRIL 13 2024; SOLVED THE ISSUE. I'm still learning how to post solutions so that future users that have my problem can find a possible strategies. @SMG or SYSOP ... if you can see this, and would like me to fix it, send me a PM. Cool?

PROBLEM: my USB Logitech Brio USB camera didn't seamlessly work with my newly installed OS. OS was Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia), MATE edition (I'm assuming that MATE = more stable, less bells-and-whistles).

WHAT I WANTED: a user interface (UI) that used all the features of this higher-resolution web camera (it was an incredible device to use when I was remote teaching, during the pandemic [coupled that with a boom-anchored Audio Technica USB mic... teenagers appreciated their science teacher taking the extra time to sound/look good]). And I did NOT want to use bloated software from Logitech, nor its Win10 software.

COMPUTER DETAILS: this rig was purchased from a purchasing program sponsored by my school board (before 2019). It appears it was from a call centre, and was quickly refurbished. Hewlett Packard (Compaq) Deskpro 6200 Pro, small form factor (SFF [translation - there's not a lot of expansion space inside this chassis, pity]); Intel Core i3, integrated graphics, 224GB SSHD, 1TB mechanical HD, an oversized ViewSonic VG2860 LCD monitor.

SOFTWARE TRIED: Webcam Booth - Cheese. Webcam Capture Software - Webcamoid ; I downloaded it from my OS' software manager. Surprisingly, I find the downloads from LM SYSTEM PACKAGE more stable on my machine than the flatpak versions.

RESULTS: Cheese stutters a bit, but eventually detected my cam and showed images. There was a lag on the output. I noticed that Cheese has a basic tool set (when compared to Webcamoid). I closed this app and then ran Webcamoid. It immediate opened up with a window. The output was noticeably smoother than Cheese. My interpretation = on my machine, Webcamoid might be a better fit than Cheese. I'm holding off upgrading Webcamoid from ver 8.x to 9.x ... it doesn't appear to be a critical upgrade. Meh, I'll see. You mileage may vary.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
North Bruce Peninsula, Ontario, Canada; https://blackcat.blog/
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Return to “Software & Applications”