[SOLVED] Booting With AMDGPU - R9 290 - Help with implementing permantly & correctly

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Gcandy77
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Booting With AMDGPU - R9 290 - Help with implementing permantly & correctly

Post by Gcandy77 »

Im not to sure what section to put this, but I will stick it in "boot" as when I have attempted this in the past 4 years with this card .. it always has ended in a black screen/a load of random suggested fixes and misery .. Leading to the good ol but lame option of a re-install fix :(

Anyhow .. I came across this post viewtopic.php?t=389454 Where its seemed that all I needed to do was add the parameters to my boot and hey presto it would load with the AMDGPU driver (so I could acutally use Vulkan/Proton in steam) :shock: I put a shock face for a reason as I could post at least 25+ threads where I had been asked to do this which always resulted in a fail and re-install :(

When I started using Mint, I had totally given up on even trying to use AMDGPU again n just delt with dual booting windows :cry: Apart from once on Manjaro .. I never got this working in 3 years of trying(*On other Os`s-Not mint) :x , so hopefully you can understand why Im a little put off going thru the permanent fix myself without running "how to do it" past this forum 1st.

So I followed the instructions in the post and added the parameters ... I even recorded it just in case it didnt boot ... But it did :lol: .. So I checked to see what driver it had loaded with and I was presented with this which seemed to confirm that its was using the AMDGPU driver 8)

https://ibb.co/fn5PYsp

So I fired up steam ... and fired up Abzu & Supraland (the only games I have never got running via the Radeon/Proton setup - Even WINE doesnt work) n Bam .. it loads and runs better than windows as it did on my R9 280 :D I really cannot believe that I am writing this post after as I never thought it would happen with this card .. I am honestly a little blown away that this has worked, cos doing "these" obvious steps on other distros never did :?: :?:

Now I know that as soon as I reset my Pc, unless I enter these parameters every time they will disappear n il be back to Radeon. As Mint is a bit different from other distros, can someone please tell me how to implement this properly full time or point me towards a guide?

I could look it up myself, but Id rather check 1st as I have a history of this messing up :oops:

Thx for reading
Last edited by Gcandy77 on Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gcandy77
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Booting With AMDGPU - R9 290 - Help with implementing permantly & correctly

Post by Gcandy77 »

Found it myself after a long search of the forums -

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=349669

and then added the parameters suggested in this post

viewtopic.php?t=389454

All I can say is Wow .. Thank you Mint!!!! :D :D

Return to “Installation & Boot”