Grub jumps to bottom or top

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fencer
Level 1
Level 1

Grub jumps to bottom or top

Post by fencer »

Hi All, I'm a beginner to mint, and have limited experience with Linux in general, so if this should be in the beginner questions section, please forgive me.

My issue is that at the grub menu, the selection jumps from first entry to last entry, but skips all the entries in between. It currently has 4 entries total, so if I push the down arrow, it jumps to no. 4. If I push the up arrow, it jumps back to no. 1. I have no way to select no. 2 or 3.

So far, I've tried changing the display resolution in /etc/default/grub, but that doesn't seem to take effect or change the behavior.
I am using a logitech usb keyboard, which is pretty standard, and the behavior is consistent with or without my kvm switch. I don't know what else could be causing this.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Grub jumps to bottom or top

Post by Pjotr »

Please generate an overview of your system like this:

- Launch a terminal window (this is how to launch a terminal window);

- Make the terminal window full screen, to avoid chopped lines;

- Copy/paste this command into the terminal:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxxxpmrz
(if you type: the letter F is a capital letter, and don't omit the space after inxi!)

Press Enter.

Copy/paste the output in your next message.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Jo-con-Ël
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Grub jumps to bottom or top

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

Post back codes result Pjotr is asking for and also get into computer's Setup (AKA BIOS Setup) and look for USB configuration to be sure USB legacy support is anabled.
fencer wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:00 am It currently has 4 entries total, so if I push the down arrow, it jumps to no. 4. If I push the up arrow, it jumps back to no. 1. I have no way to select no. 2 or 3.
So it is the same as PageUp/PageDown keys...I wonder what PageUp/PageDown keys would do.

Any way, try Ctrl+P/Ctrl+N to move Up/Down on GRUB menu.
Arrieritos semos y en el camino nos encontraremos.

Return to “Installation & Boot”