Strange experiences with Xfce install [SOLVED]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Logansfury
Level 6
Level 6

Strange experiences with Xfce install [SOLVED]

Post by Logansfury »

Hello everyone,

My HP backup box that was kind of a duplicate of my Dell main driver but with only a fraction of the customization got a badly broken .config file and lost the ability to respond to desktop r.click and provide option menus, was only starting half of the start up apps, and a few other inconveniences. My Timeshift wasn't configured to backup home files so a timeshift back 4 days didnt solve anything. It was a badly broken user config file.

I ended up wiping the drive and reinstalling OS. For variety, I went with Xfce, intending to install Cinn atop it and be a dual DE box with a prompt window at logon.

The exact same hardware that worked fine on Cinn was gutted on Xfce. My wireless nic was unrecognized and I had to swap nics from the one that Cinn connected with just fine, to get any connectivity. Then I tried to set my display resolution back to the 3840x2160 my Cinn machine was set to, Xfce on the same card and drivers was incapable of running anything other than 1920x1080 and didnt even have the 2560x1440 option listed.

Then the sound started coming out of the tiny computer case speaker instead of out of the quality speakers built into the LG monitors. There was no sound setting in Xfce as opposed to Cinn, and in the plasma sound settings I did find, there was no way to switch the output device to my real speakers. What is up with this?? Why is Xfce such a failure with my hardware when Cinn drove it all perfectly?

I got disgusted and wiped the drive again. I have now reinstalled 21.2 Cinn from the same USB media I originally did, the one that supported 3840x2160. After I get everything going as expected I will try installing Xfce alongside the Cinn as I really want one of my Linux boxes to be a dual DE system.

Does anyone know why I experienced such difficulty with Xfce? I will be running it as alternative DE so I do wish to learn it.

Thanks for reading!

Logan
Last edited by Logansfury on Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image <-- Cick for sudo inxi --usb -Fxxxnmprz output, updated hourly!
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Strange experiences with Xfce install

Post by spamegg »

After I get everything going as expected I will try installing Xfce alongside the Cinn as I really want one of my Linux boxes to be a dual DE system.

Does anyone know why I experienced such difficulty with Xfce? I will be running it as alternative DE so I do wish to learn it.
I'm not sure (dual DE problems are notoriously difficult to debug) but you might want to create two separate users, keep one user untouched with the DE that it was installed with, and remove first DE & install the second DE only for the other user (to contain the damage, so that the config files / home folders are separated).

So now at login, instead of selecting one of two DEs, you'll login with one of two users, each of which only has 1 default DE.
Logansfury
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Logansfury »

spamegg wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:26 pm
That sounds like a brilliant way to avoid problems, I would be happy to set my box up like this.

I'm assuming there has to be some DE existent at all times, so on the second user account I would first install Xfce and then remove Cinn, is that correct?

Are there tutorials for performing this?

Thank you very much for the suggestion!
Last edited by karlchen on Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Shortened the full quote of the post right above
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Logan.
Logansfury wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:15 pmWhy is Xfce such a failure with my hardware when Cinn drove it all perfectly?
I got disgusted and wiped the drive again.
I have got no idea what went wrong with your Linux Mint xfce installation.
As you have nuked all the pieces of evidence, there is no way of finding out what had gone wrong and why it gave to you the problems, which you mentioned.

For the next time:
If you are really interested in what the root cause of a problem is, do not nuke the pieces of evidence, before the forensic work has been completed. :wink:

Karl
The people of Alderaan have been desperately fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 802 days now.
Lifeline
Logansfury
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Logansfury »

karlchen wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:35 pm
That's a great point, I won't expect any information about the install I murdered. The good news is I am very stubborn and am going to put Xfce right back on once my Cinn initial updates have settled down and I can create a second user-account to host it as Spamegg suggested. We will have ample opportunity to retain and document all kinds of difficulties :D

Thank you for contributing to the thread :)
Last edited by karlchen on Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Shortened the full quote of the post right above
Logansfury
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Logansfury »

spamegg wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:26 pm remove first DE & install the second DE only for the other user (to contain the damage, so that the config files / home folders are separated).
So now at login, instead of selecting one of two DEs, you'll login with one of two users, each of which only has 1 default DE.
Hello Spamegg :)

Would you know how to perform this removal correctly? I found the webpage: viewtopic.php?t=178233

and used the command from it: sudo apt-get remove --purge cinnamon

But this was intended to remove Cinn entirely in favor of Xfce and nuked Cinn on my main account as well as the 2nd.

Would you know the proper command to use to only delete Cinn on the user account the command is made from?
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Strange experiences with Xfce install [SOLVED]

Post by spamegg »

Ah I don't know really :lol:

Maybe my idea of two logins was not good.
It's true that having separate homes can avoid config conflicts,
but DEs are still installed system-wide (since they require root privileges).
I didn't think of that! :oops:

Multiple DEs are just difficult :lol:
Logansfury
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Logansfury »

spamegg wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:33 pm Ah I don't know really :lol:

Maybe my idea of two logins was not good.
It's true that having separate homes can avoid config conflicts,
but DEs are still installed system-wide (since they require root privileges).
I didn't think of that! :oops:

Multiple DEs are just difficult :lol:
Heya Spamegg!

Thanks for the quick reply, I appreciate it.

For the time being, since the system is hosed but brand new with nothing of value on it and little time spent on it, I have just started the process of a wipe and a fresh install of 21.3 Xfce. This will give me a slightly different experience from my Cinn box while retaining Mint stability and I can see what kind of options for GUI customization Xfce offers.

I had hoped that your suggestion was based on other user's successes, and I could start enjoying a dual-DE environment, but I see you were postulating to try to help me out :)

Well, we learned something: Mint is evidently not designed for separate DE's on separate accounts. And this is probably way too unique/unusual a situation to bring to Clem's attention. I don't think there would be enough interest in this beyond my own to justify the work it would take to make it possible :(
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Post by spamegg »

Apologies! :oops:
I should have mentioned "you'll have to figure it out".
I had hoped that your suggestion was based on other user's successes
I've seen people do this successfully, but I don't know much about the technical details of it.
I think they did it with Cinnamon and KDE Plasma. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mTfa7PNRhw

You're right you might have better chance starting with Xfce, then adding Cinnamon on top of it.
Then you'll have to somehow "disable" Xfce for one user.
Not sure how this is done.
I guess you'll have to read up on Arch wiki about how desktop environments are setup, what happens at login (probably has to do with the display manager), how an X session is auto-started, etc.
Expect a lot more trouble.

Or just login with Cinnamon for that user? Maybe that works OK?
Login screen should offer an option for DE selection I think.

Come to think of it, I should stop giving advice on this topic!
Clearly I don't know what I'm talking about.
Logansfury
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Logansfury »

spamegg wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:10 pm Apologies! :oops:
I should have mentioned "you'll have to figure it out".
I had hoped that your suggestion was based on other user's successes
I've seen people do this successfully, but I don't know much about the technical details of it.
I think they did it with Cinnamon and KDE Plasma. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mTfa7PNRhw

You're right you might have better chance starting with Xfce, then adding Cinnamon on top of it.
Then you'll have to somehow "disable" Xfce for one user.
Not sure how this is done.
I guess you'll have to read up on Arch wiki about how desktop environments are setup, what happens at login (probably has to do with the display manager), how an X session is auto-started, etc.
Expect a lot more trouble.

Or just login with Cinnamon for that user? Maybe that works OK?
Login screen should offer an option for DE selection I think.

Come to think of it, I should stop giving advice on this topic!
Clearly I don't know what I'm talking about.
Heh, I appreciate your input. I have the 2nd box with a fresh Xfce on it. I could put Cinn atop it but it sounds a lot more trouble-free to keep it single DE. For the brief period that I had both DE's I had the little DE logo that was clickable to bring up the DE selection window, that disappeared as soon as I did the Cinn purge.

I will check out that youtube video, that may be something very fun to follow! Thanks for the URL :)

It's been great having you along for the Xfce adventure! :)

Return to “Software & Applications”