Can anyone suggest a working WiFi6 USB for Mint?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Logansfury
Level 6
Level 6

Can anyone suggest a working WiFi6 USB for Mint?

Post by Logansfury »

Hello everyone :)

I have just upgraded my home internet to a 1GB cable connection. My Dell Linux box is cat 5 connected to modem and enjoying 900MB + download speeds on Ookla speed test, however my HP box is wireless connected with the ancient USB series N nic card that was sent with the refurbished comp. This nic card pulls a fraction of my avail speeds.

I tried to get the box up to speed by buying a WiFi 6 adapter that specifically listed itself as Mint compatable:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BTHQNK5S?ps ... ct_details

Result with this adapter plugged in was my Linux box refused to boot up. It is long since returned for refund.

Is anyone using a WiFi 6 USB adapter on a Mint Cinn box that actually works? I need urls to anything that will work for me please.

Thank you for reading,

Logan
Image <-- Cick for sudo inxi --usb -Fxxxnmprz output, updated hourly!
axrusar
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Can anyone suggest a working WiFi6 USB for Mint?

Post by axrusar »

Is your router 802.11ax (wifi 6) compatible too or 802.11ac (wifi 5)? Bottleneck alert
Linux Mint Una Cinnamon 20.3 Kernel: 5.15.x | Quad Core I7 4.2Ghz | 24GB Ram | 1TB NVMe | Intel Graphics
Logansfury
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Logansfury »

axrusar wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:25 pm Is your router 802.11ax (wifi 6) compatible too or 802.11ac (wifi 5)? Bottleneck alert
Hello Axrusar,

My modem/router is a CommScope TG4482. It is a panoramic modem and according to my ISP:

"Does Cox panoramic WIFI support Wi-Fi 6?
Yes. Panoramic Wifi pods work with either Wifi 5, Wifi 6 or Wifi 6E Panoramic Wifi gateways."

It would seem I just need the right USB Wifi6 device and I should be enjoying the same speeds as my wired PC's
ThinkerPig
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ThinkerPig »

Hi
I don't use this device myself yet.
Nighthawk® AXE3000 WiFi 6E USB 3.0 Adapter
https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/adapters/a8000/
It is written in the review that it works with linux:
florent_ny · 10 months ago
Great adapter, works on linux too (read review for how)
This adapter will be 100% supported on of the box starting with linux kernel 6.4 I believe. However if you have a fairly recent 6.x kernel it will work as long as you execute the 2 following commands after each reboot:
1) modprobe mt7921u
2) echo 0846 9060 > /sys/bus/usb/drivers/mt7921u/new_id
It works great for me on both my fedora distribution PC and my raspberry 4. Best wifi adapter I ever used. very fast and strong signal.
<Mint Mate 21.3 ThinkPad P1 Gen 3 UHD OLED>
Logansfury
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Logansfury »

ThinkerPig wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:46 am Hi
I don't use this device myself yet.
Nighthawk® AXE3000 WiFi 6E USB 3.0 Adapter
https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/adapters/a8000/
It is written in the review that it works with linux:
florent_ny · 10 months ago
Great adapter, works on linux too (read review for how)
This adapter will be 100% supported on of the box starting with linux kernel 6.4 I believe. However if you have a fairly recent 6.x kernel it will work as long as you execute the 2 following commands after each reboot:
1) modprobe mt7921u
2) echo 0846 9060 > /sys/bus/usb/drivers/mt7921u/new_id
It works great for me on both my fedora distribution PC and my raspberry 4. Best wifi adapter I ever used. very fast and strong signal.
Hello Thinker :)

Thank you for joining the thread!

That looks like an awesome suggestion! I had gotten a list of Kernel approved devices from another forum, and I found the first one on the list for $25 on amazon. I ordered last night and it should be here today to test. Should it fail and need to be returned for refund, I will try this piece of hardware next.

Return to “Networking”