Hello From the National Capital area of Canada

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bcorbin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello From the National Capital area of Canada

Post by bcorbin »

Hello Everyone.

I installed Linux mint today on my home built PC (Asus Prime 370 motherboad with Ryzen 7 CPU and AMD GPU). This PC was a retirement present for myself in 2017.

I worked at Digital Equipment of Canada 1983 to the takeover by Compaq and later HP until a voluntary exit in 2017. I had worked in Field Service in the Kingston Ontario region and later at the Call Center in Hull Quebec supporting PDP11, VAX and Alpha Servers as well as the Proliant 8 Way DL980 and later the MC990 X also an 8 way intel based system. The MC990 x was an interesting system with an embedded Linux console system, but I only managed one call on the system before my exit. I also trained on the Moonshot Project system but that never really went anywhere, I never really worked on any of the legacy HP systems like Superdome. In fact on my last call, I had to dust off my fiche reader and lookup a bit of obscure DEC hadrware info for a field service engineer.

My unix/Linux experience goes back a bit. One of my first experiences was with DEC versions of unix such as OSF1, later named DEC unix. I also used a unix system on a 286 based PC called Coherent before Linux was popular, I've used Linux Mint in the past and OpenSuse as well and Redhat. I recently installed Fedora KDE 39 on my home PC. I liked the look and feel of Fedora KDE but ran into some issues with; samba, connectivity with my Iphone and some legacy disk partitions from Windows. I decided to simplify my configuration and system management by installing Linux Mint, So far thinks are looking good, making headway on my issues after just a few hours after installation.

Brian
Regards

Brian Corbin
Kory
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Hello From the National Capital area of Canada

Post by Kory »

Hello Brian and welcome to the forum!

I've also started with Red Hat years ago, it's amazing to see how far Linux has come. I hope you will enjoy your Mint journey and that it will work well for you.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Hello From the National Capital area of Canada

Post by kc1di »

Hello Brian,
Welcome to the Linux Mint forum, enjoy the journey! :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

Return to “Introduce Yourself”