Crached /boot

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Creeper
Level 1
Level 1

Crached /boot

Post by Creeper »

Hi guys! This topic is not about Linux mint, but I really need help.
I'm edit grub.cfg to add new system. After restart system don't boot: in a few seconds shutdown. If I boot from flash-usb, the same thing happens.

P.S. I'm don't speak English, I wrote through a translator and partly by myself. Sorry for mistakes.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Crached /boot

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Creeper.
Creeper wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:06 am Hi guys! This topic is not about Linux mint, but I really need help.
Which Linux distribution do you use? Would it not make sense registering in the user support forum of the Linux distribution, which you use, and ask for help there?
Creeper wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:06 amI'm edit grub.cfg to add new system.
Never ever do so. The file header even tells you not to do so.
/boot/grub/grub.cfg wrote:#
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
#
# It is automatically generated by grub-mkconfig using templates
# from /etc/grub.d and settings from /etc/default/grub
#
Creeper wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:06 am After restart system don't boot: in a few seconds shutdown.
Seems to suggest strongly that you messed up the file structure somehow. This is why the file header of grub.cfg tells you not to edit the file manually.
Creeper wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:06 amIf I boot from flash-usb, the same thing happens.
Alternatively you experience a hardware problem, which prevents your machine from starting up.
The grub.cfg on the flash usb live system will not be affected by any changes which you applied to /boot/grub/grub.cfg on the internal ssd/harddisk.

Karl
The people of Alderaan have been desperately fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 802 days now.
Lifeline
motoryzen
Level 11
Level 11

Post by motoryzen »

This topic should have been created in something more coherent to a " boot " problems or " grub " section..not Chat

I'm assuming the mod will eventually spot this and will move the topic to a more coherent place within this domain.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, motoryzen.

This topic cannot go to "Installation & Boot" e.g., because it is not about Linux Mint. Neither about the main edition, nor about LMDE. This is why I asked whether it would not have been better to ask in the appropriate user forum, i.e. the one for the Linux distribution in use. Which by the way remains a big secret so far.

Provided I want to be strict, the topic will have to be closed, because it is not about Linux Mint. :wink:

Karl
The people of Alderaan have been desperately fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 802 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Chat about Linux”