How do I access my other computers over local ethernet while using protonvpn?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nestate
Level 1
Level 1

How do I access my other computers over local ethernet while using protonvpn?

Post by nestate »

Hello,

How do I access other computers on my home network while using protonvpn?
I want to remote into my home computers without having to drop vpn or sending the remote connect over vpn.
WHVW
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How do I access my other computers over local ethernet while using protonvpn?

Post by WHVW »

nestate:

Well, your question is a bit vague, (as in exactly what are you specifically trying to accomplish, file xfer, remote desktop control, etc.) but be that as it may, you should know that some VPN's put the "kabosh" on LAN access while they are in use (such as Nord VPN) and some do not, such as Tor Guard. Switching to Tor Guard may be your easiest solution for the time being. Currently, "fixing" Nord is on my to-do list, but I haven't been able to give it the time it needs so far.

I hope this helps.
P.S: welcome to the forum.
KodiakCanoe
Level 3
Level 3

Re: How do I access my other computers over local ethernet while using protonvpn?

Post by KodiakCanoe »

Just fyi, NordVPN allows access to the LAN either by adding the local subnet to the allowlist, or by enabling the "lan-discovery" setting. They also have a feature called "meshnet" which will allow remote access to a machine from anywhere, whether or not it's connected to VPN.

Meshnet is similar to TailScale, and both are free (no VPN subscription required). If the Proton app doesn't have an "allowlist", "lan discovery" or similar setting then using a third-party app is one option you could consider.
WHVW
Level 5
Level 5

Post by WHVW »

Hi All:

Here is the definitive (at least for me-it works!) answer to the problem, and from this forum no less...
Re: NordVPN connection makes host inaccessible in LAN?

Unread post by Chrisso » 05 Mar 2024, 00:58
You just need to run this command. It works no matter what your LAN's IP rage is.

nordvpn set lan-discovery enable

(confirmed to be true in LM 21.3 with nordvpn v3.17.2)
Link: viewtopic.php?p=2440210#p2440210

Remember:
It works no matter what your LAN's IP rage is.
....Making it the perfect solution. I can also confirm that this works on LM 21.3, and Thanks to Chrisso.
KodiakCanoe
Level 3
Level 3

Post by KodiakCanoe »

WHVW wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:45 pm Hi All:

Here is the definitive (at least for me-it works!) answer to the problem, and from this forum no less...
Re: NordVPN connection makes host inaccessible in LAN?

Unread post by Chrisso » 05 Mar 2024, 00:58
You just need to run this command. It works no matter what your LAN's IP rage is.

nordvpn set lan-discovery enable

(confirmed to be true in LM 21.3 with nordvpn v3.17.2)
Link: viewtopic.php?p=2440210#p2440210

Remember:
It works no matter what your LAN's IP rage is.
....Making it the perfect solution. I can also confirm that this works on LM 21.3, and Thanks to Chrisso.

If it doesn't work after reboot then you may be affected by this bug: https://github.com/NordSecurity/nordvpn ... issues/371

Until it's fixed, the workaround is to use the allowlist instead of lan-discovery, as mentioned in the referenced post. Good Luck!

Return to “Networking”