[SOLVED] Linux Mint not deleting from Boot Options

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mintd
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] Linux Mint not deleting from Boot Options

Post by mintd »

Hi everyone,

I have a laptop with dual-boot (Windows and Linux Mint). The drive is around 500GB and I allocated 50GB to Linux Mint.

Today I launched Linux Mint from live boot (USB stick) and formatted and deleted the allocated drive space (partition) for Linux Mint so now there is 50GB empty space unallocated - there was an option to expand the size of the Windows partition (and use the free 50GB) in Disks software - is it fine to do that or will it affect the Windows installation (currently just has the initial install where you are asked to set up Windows)?

Also, I went into the BIOS to remove the Linux Mint (shows up as ubuntu) boot option and selected delete boot option from the UEFI/BIOS but it still shows up. Then I tried the following which did not work: efibootmgr -b [ubuntu boot option number] -B

Could you please help with the two issues above. Ideally, I would like to fix the issues without having to log into Windows if possible.
Thank you! :)
Last edited by mintd on Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Linux Mint not deleting from Boot Options

Post by Schultz »

If you're expanding the Windows partition, I would suggest to do that while booted into Windows (less chances of creating a problem). As for your other issue, I have no clue.
mintd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mintd »

Schultz wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:39 am If you're expanding the Windows partition, I would suggest to do that while booted into Windows (less chances of creating a problem). As for your other issue, I have no clue.
Thank you Schultz :)
I would like to fix the issues from within the BIOS/UEFI and/or Linux Mint live boot (USB stick), and avoid having to set up and use Windows.
Any suggestions much appreciated!
mintd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mintd »

I was also wondering if I could just do a reset in the BIOS (and keep Windows installed as you would get with a new laptop)?
Thanks everyone! :)
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

mintd wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:56 am I would like to fix the issues from within the BIOS/UEFI and/or Linux Mint live boot (USB stick), and avoid having to set up and use Windows.
Any suggestions much appreciated!
I don't understand. If you don't want to use Windows, why are you expanding its partition? :?
motoryzen
Level 11
Level 11

Post by motoryzen »

This is why I never recommend having Linux and Windows installed into the same storage drive, it just creates too many confusion opportunities for those who are new to the dual booting world and messing with partitions. Sincerely, no insult meant, just stating facts from experience. It's always better and safer to keep the two OS worlds each on its own separate drive
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

mintd wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:12 am Also, I went into the BIOS to remove the Linux Mint (shows up as ubuntu) boot option and selected delete boot option from the UEFI/BIOS but it still shows up.
You need to delete the ubuntu folder in your EFI partition. Boot an install stick, run disks and mount your EFI partition, click on the hyperlink to open your file manager and delete it.
viewtopic.php?p=2453341#p2453341
Different issue, but relevant guidance.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
mintd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mintd »

motoryzen wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:31 pm This is why I never recommend having Linux and Windows installed into the same storage drive, it just creates too many confusion opportunities for those who are new to the dual booting world and messing with partitions. Sincerely, no insult meant, just stating facts from experience. It's always better and safer to keep the two OS worlds each on its own separate drive
No worries motoryzen. I agree it's usually easier without dual boot (just did it because I wanted to test something).
mintd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mintd »

AndyMH wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:18 pm
mintd wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:12 am Also, I went into the BIOS to remove the Linux Mint (shows up as ubuntu) boot option and selected delete boot option from the UEFI/BIOS but it still shows up.
You need to delete the ubuntu folder in your EFI partition. Boot an install stick, run disks and mount your EFI partition, click on the hyperlink to open your file manager and delete it.
viewtopic.php?p=2453341#p2453341
Different issue, but relevant guidance.
Thank you so much AndyMH :) I followed your instructions and they worked, very happy!
Just going back to the other issue/question about resizing the Windows partition - is it fine to do that from the install stick (live boot) in Linux Mint and just add the 50GB of free space onto the Windows partition (OS Partition 3 in the screenshot attached)? Would doing so negatively affect the Windows partition (it is currently just a new install of Windows, pre-setup where you turn the computer on and you are asked to set up Windows for the first time)?
Thanks again!
partitions.jpg
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Yes you can use gparted, when messing around with win C: I prefer to use win's disk management utility.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
mintd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mintd »

AndyMH wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:35 pm Yes you can use gparted, when messing around with win C: I prefer to use win's disk management utility.
Thanks very much AndyMH!
Just checked that GParted is on the install stick (live boot), so will use that instead of Disks as you suggested.
Is it fine for me to select the Windows (ntfs) partition (as shown in screenshot below), then > Partition > Resize, and drag the size handles/arrows so that it is 486899 MiB (full size)? That will be okay with the current Windows installation? It said something about 'Free space preceding' and 'Free space following' and was unsure what this meant (and what practical difference it makes) but I was just planning to move the sliders/arrows to the ends of both sides (i.e maximum size). Sorry a bit nervous with this, thank you for your patience and help :)
parted.jpg
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

That will be okay with the current Windows installation
Problems can result whenever you resize partitions. Usually it works, but no guarantees.

If you want to reduce the likelihood of there being a problem resizing a window NTFS partition, use win's disk management utility in windows and not gparted in Linux.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

mikeflan wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:43 pm If you want to reduce the likelihood of there being a problem resizing a window NTFS partition, use win's disk management utility in windows and not gparted in Linux.
That was also my advice, but he/she doesn't want to boot into Windows. :?:
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

You have now had it from three sources, yes you can use gparted to resize ntfs partitions, but you are better/safer using win's disk management utility.
mintd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mintd »

Thanks very much everyone :)
Successfully managed to resize the partition (without any data loss) using GParted.

Return to “Software & Applications”