[SOLVED]Basic User Hardship That I Want to Go Away (overly sensitive mouse)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
o2b
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED]Basic User Hardship That I Want to Go Away (overly sensitive mouse)

Post by o2b »

Hi,

Ever since my complete conversion from Mac OS to Linux, I have experienced hardships. In fact, I left Zorin Linux due to my hardships and after researching, opted for Linux Mint.

But the hardships continue. (I LOVE Mint with the lone exception of these hardships.) They all have to do with intrusive behavior, most and perhaps all of which seem to be based on mouse position. That being said:

Trigger a click when the pointer hovers is set to OFF.

The unwanted behavior is sometimes frequent and intense. Here are examples. If using libreOffice Writer or Calc, they are inevitable.

I swept my pointer across the tabs of my browser window. Something like 4 or 5 of them were videos. Every single video was switched from pause to play..

I have the mouse pointer positioned in a blank portion of my screen (bottom right corner) in my efforts to minimize this behavior. As I am typing text in an application such as libreOffice Calc or Writer, suddenly a search box opens up in that blank area and text I am typing is being placed in that search box rather than Calc or Writer.

The following has happened countless times and sometimes so exasperates me that I honestly feel like I am ready to grab a shotgun and fire away at my computer.

I am typing in libreOffice Writer or Calc or a discussion forum or some form in a web site or in some social media platform (both in web browser and not in web browser) and suddenly a large portion of the text is selected and deleted. In fact, I have often resorted to libreOffice Writer because at least when it happens there, I can use the Undo command button and (usually) retrieve it. (I then select/copy the text and paste it to wherever I am trying place text.)

Again, this has happened countless times.

I have played Freecell and suddenly the mouse position is instantiating functions, sometimes at a rapid pace. For example, placing cards from a column.

These unwanted behaviors occurred with Mac OS ZERO TIMES. It has been many years since windows but I do not think they ever occurred there either.

Here is the outcome I want. I do not want the above to ever happen again. In fact, I want no intrusive behavior whatsoever. I do not want a single action to be instantiated unless I click the mouse, deliberately instantiating it on my own.

Is there some way I can have my desired outcome?
Last edited by o2b on Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Founder of Iconoclasts Anonymous Self Help Recovery Groups - Global Membership: 1
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Basic User Hardship That I Want to Go Away (overly sensitive mouse)

Post by billyswong »

Is it a laptop with touchpad? Can you post the system information from "system report"?
o2b
Level 1
Level 1

Post by o2b »

billyswong wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:58 pm Is it a laptop with touchpad? Can you post the system information from "system report"?
Thanks! And here you go. Yes, it is a laptop with touchpad.

Machine:
Type: Laptop System: Dell product: Latitude 7480 v: N/A serial: <superuser required> Chassis:
type: 10 serial: <superuser required>
Mobo: Dell model: 00F6D3 v: A00 serial: <superuser required> UEFI: Dell v: 1.34.0
date: 10/31/2023
Last edited by o2b on Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Founder of Iconoclasts Anonymous Self Help Recovery Groups - Global Membership: 1
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

o2b wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:15 pm ...As I am typing text in an application such as libreOffice Calc or Writer, suddenly a search box opens up in that blank area and text I am typing is being placed in that search box rather than Calc or Writer.

The following has happened countless times and sometimes so exasperates me that I honestly feel like I am ready to grab a shotgun and fire away at my computer.

I am typing in libreOffice Writer or Calc or a discussion forum or some form in a web site or in some social media platform (both in web browser and not in web browser) and suddenly a large portion of the text is selected and deleted...
I've had that happen to me when I accidentally "fat finger" (press) the up arrow and adjacent SHIFT key perfectly simultaneously. That action will highlight recently typed text and the next key press (which almost always happens before I can stop myself) will overwrite the highlighted area, making it disappear. I've also had it happen in Win 7 and XP so it isn't limited to Linux Mint. I agree it's infuriating and I let loose with a string of words Mama told me not to use whenever it happens, which, fortunately, is rarely. I don't know why it happens and I wish dire fates upon whoever allowed it to work that way. At least, over the years (a lot of them :roll: ), I've gotten better enough at avoiding the problem, I can't remember the last time it happened. It also seems to have been more prevalent on some keyboards than on others.

Some of the other problems sounds like they may be related to your thumb accidentally dragging over the touch pad while typing. You can go into Settings, Mouse and Touchpad, then under the Touchpad, either completely Disable the touchpad, Disable the touch pad when a mouse is connected (like I did; I despise abominations like touchpads and touchscreens), or Disable touchpad when typing (I had limited luck with that one).
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
o2b
Level 1
Level 1

Post by o2b »

Thank you. I've used words mama told me not to use as well! :)

All I can say is I am bewildered. For example, I have definitely witnessed the creation of a search box at the lower right where I purposely put the mouse pointer and have the cursor get placed there causing text be placed in the search box rather than its intended location, such as libre writer. Point being, the mouse pointer did not move.

So, like, what in the world would create a text box just because the mouse pointer is there? I mean...that is such a colossal level of intrusion.

Man, I just don't know.

I guess some machines may not be a good match for Linux?

But I will see what disabling the touch pad does and fetch a (regular) mouse.

Thanks again!
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

o2b wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:58 pm ...All I can say is I am bewildered. For example, I have definitely witnessed the creation of a search box at the lower right where I purposely put the mouse pointer and have the cursor get placed there causing text be placed in the search box rather than its intended location, such as libre writer. Point being, the mouse pointer did not move.

So, like, what in the world would create a text box just because the mouse pointer is there? I mean...that is such a colossal level of intrusion...
I had to mull that one over a bit since I've seen it happen but couldn't remember why. If you start typing and you aren't actively in a program, that text box will pop up. For an example of how it happens, while you don't have any programs open on your desktop, just start typing; you will get that "pesky" text box. Now open up LibreOffice Writer but don't maximize the window. Click anywhere else on the desktop and start typing; again you will get that "pesky" desktop (BTW, I'm using polite terms to keep the mods happy :wink: ). You have to let Mint know where you want stuff you type to appear; it's just the nature of the beast. Just click on where you want you want what you type to appear. It will quickly become habit. Even if you move the mouse pointer elsewhere, as long as you don't click again, what you type will still appear where you had last clicked.

o2b wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:58 pm ...But I will see what disabling the touch pad does and fetch a (regular) mouse.

Thanks again!
If you prefer a touchpad over a mouse, try the Disable touchpad while typing first.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
rickNS
Level 10
Level 10

Post by rickNS »

o2b wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:58 pm
All I can say is I am bewildered. For example, I have definitely witnessed the creation of a search box at the lower right where I purposely put the mouse pointer and have the cursor get placed there causing text be placed in the search box rather than its intended location, such as libre writer. Point being, the mouse pointer did not move.

So, like, what in the world would create a text box just because the mouse pointer is there? I mean...that is such a colossal level of intrusion.
I am not able to reproduce this behavior, but I use the Mate desktop environment. I had to figure out which DE you were using, since you did not supply your system information as requested.

So you are using Cinnamon DE, and that what you experience is a "feature", a desktop search for those who have so many desktop icons, they need a search function to find them.

And guess what...you can not disable it.
viewtopic.php?t=232574

If you leave your cursor on your document, or apparently any focused window, the text box does NOT pop up.

Some of the things you describe, must be from unintentional moving the cursor with the touchpad. ??

One solution would be to create keyboard shortcuts to disable/enable the touch pad, say super + F, and super + N, for off, and on. As it seems your laptop does not have a key to toggle the touchpad.
Here is a good starting point for that,
https://www.baeldung.com/linux/enable-disable-touchpad
or even better,
https://askubuntu.com/questions/65951/h ... e-touchpad

Another possible cause, maybe your mouse is worn out ?

PS, I do not think that would bother me as I do not tend to type randomly on the screen. That said it is another reason to not like Cinnamon, FWIW MATE does not do that.

EDIT, fix typo, add link
Last edited by rickNS on Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

rickNS wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:06 pm
o2b wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:58 pm

I am not able to reproduce this behavior, but I use the Mate desktop environment. I had to figure out which DE you were using, since you did not supply your system information as requested.
I would also like to see the model of the touchpad too, sadly the system information is not properly provided.
o2b
Level 1
Level 1

Post by o2b »

Hi RickNS and billyswong,

RickNS:
since you did not supply your system information as requested.

billyswong:
sadly the system information is not properly provided.

My bad. I thought I provided the information properly. I did perform the requested command but only supplied a partial output, thinking the rest was not relevant. System Settings -> System Info -> Upload System Information:

Code: Select all

System:
  Kernel: 5.15.0-101-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 11.4.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 6.0.4
    tk: GTK 3.24.33 wm: muffin dm: LightDM Distro: Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia base: Ubuntu 22.04 jammy
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: Dell product: Latitude 7480 v: N/A serial: <superuser required> Chassis:
    type: 10 serial: <superuser required>
  Mobo: Dell model: 00F6D3 v: A00 serial: <superuser required> UEFI-[Legacy]: Dell v: 1.8.2
    date: 01/30/2018
Battery:
  ID-1: BAT0 charge: 58.7 Wh (97.8%) condition: 60.0/60.0 Wh (100.0%) volts: 8.8 min: 7.6
    model: BYD DELL KG7VF24 serial: <filter> status: Charging
CPU:
  Info: dual core model: Intel Core i5-7300U bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Amber/Kaby Lake
    note: check rev: 9 cache: L1: 128 KiB L2: 512 KiB L3: 3 MiB
  Speed (MHz): avg: 1739 high: 2136 min/max: 400/3500 cores: 1: 2136 2: 1900 3: 1623 4: 1300
    bogomips: 21599
  Flags: avx avx2 ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 620 vendor: Dell driver: i915 v: kernel ports: active: eDP-1
    empty: DP-1, DP-2, HDMI-A-1, HDMI-A-2 bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:5916
  Device-2: Realtek Integrated_Webcam_HD type: USB driver: uvcvideo bus-ID: 1-5:2
    chip-ID: 0bda:58c7
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.4 driver: X: loaded: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa
    gpu: i915 display-ID: :0 screens: 1
  Screen-1: 0 s-res: 1920x1080 s-dpi: 96
  Monitor-1: eDP-1 model: LG res: 1920x1080 dpi: 158 diag: 355mm (14")
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics 620 (KBL GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 23.2.1-1ubuntu3.1~22.04.2
    direct render: Yes
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio vendor: Dell driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel
    bus-ID: 00:1f.3 chip-ID: 8086:9d71
  Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.15.0-101-generic running: yes
  Sound Server-2: PulseAudio v: 15.99.1 running: yes
  Sound Server-3: PipeWire v: 0.3.48 running: yes
Network:
  Device-1: Intel Ethernet I219-LM vendor: Dell driver: e1000e v: kernel port: N/A bus-ID: 00:1f.6
    chip-ID: 8086:15d7
  IF: enp0s31f6 state: down mac: <filter>
  Device-2: Intel Wireless 8265 / 8275 driver: iwlwifi v: kernel pcie: speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 1
    bus-ID: 02:00.0 chip-ID: 8086:24fd
  IF: wlp2s0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 238.47 GiB used: 54.62 GiB (22.9%)
  ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: Samsung model: MZVLB256HAHQ-000H1 size: 238.47 GiB speed: 31.6 Gb/s
    lanes: 4 serial: <filter> temp: 24.9 C
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 233.18 GiB used: 54.61 GiB (23.4%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/nvme0n1p3
  ID-2: /boot/efi size: 512 MiB used: 6.1 MiB (1.2%) fs: vfat dev: /dev/nvme0n1p2
Swap:
  ID-1: swap-1 type: file size: 2 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) priority: -2 file: /swapfile
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 39.0 C pch: 34.5 C mobo: 34.0 C sodimm: SODIMM C
  Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 0
Repos:
  Packages: 2345 apt: 2335 flatpak: 10
  No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list
    1: deb http: //packages.linuxmint.com virginia main upstream import backport
    2: deb http: //archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy main restricted universe multiverse
    3: deb http: //archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-updates main restricted universe multiverse
    4: deb http: //archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-backports main restricted universe multiverse
    5: deb http: //security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jammy-security main restricted universe multiverse
Info:
  Processes: 277 Uptime: 3d 1h 27m Memory: 15.24 GiB used: 4.84 GiB (31.7%) Init: systemd v: 249
  runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 11.4.0 alt: 11/12 Client: Unknown python3.10 client inxi: 3.3.13
Last edited by SMG on Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added code tags to inxi output to preserve its formatting making it easier to read.
o2b
Level 1
Level 1

Post by o2b »

I may be all set. But I have not used my laptop enough to be real confident. But anyway, I turned off the touchpad mouse. Previously, I used an external mouse but without turning the touchpad off.

So far, I have had no issues.

In consideration of Occam's Razor (the hypothesis with the least number of assumptions is the most likely), I go back to the occurrence of a created search text box where I know for a fact the mouse pointer was only in a blank portion of the screen.

I'll see if Occam's Razor applies.

I'll let you know.

Thanks!
ians
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ians »

If you press letter keys on the keyboard, a text box in the bottom right corner pops up. It can be used to quickly find files in whatever folder you are in. Not sure if that's what you're experiencing.
To get rid of it just click somewhere on the desktop.

Had something similar to your other issue on this on laptop, including accidentally touching the pad while typing, and find myself typing somewhere else on the page because it jumped the cursor, or inadvertently selecting something.
Solved by disabling the (oversensitive) touchpad and using only the mouse.
o2b
Level 1
Level 1

Post by o2b »

I have not had a single issue since turning off the mouse pad and using an external mouse. Both had to be done.

I am 99% sure that what caused these occurrences was grazing the touchpad while typing because too many times I verified the mouse pointer remained completely off of any applications and it still happened.

It seems to me any use of the touchpad caused the pointer to do something.

Thanks all for your help!
rickNS
Level 10
Level 10

Post by rickNS »

o2b wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:34 pm I have not had a single issue since turning off the mouse pad and using an external mouse. Both had to be done.

I am 99% sure that what caused these occurrences was grazing the touchpad while typing
/CUT/
Thans all for your help!
which is what I suspected...
rickNS wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:06 pm Some of the things you describe, must be from unintentional moving the cursor with the touchpad. ??
Anyway, thanks for not being offended.
AND, if you are interested in getting the keyboard shortcuts to work, to toggle touchpad off/on, just say so...there may be times when you want it to work ?

PS, I like you, use an "external" mouse, and keyboard, my laptop (daily driver) is essentially a desktop so I never "accidentally" touch the touch pad.
o2b
Level 1
Level 1

Post by o2b »

Howdy rickNS,
rickNS wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:51 pm Anyway, thanks for not being offended.
AND, if you are interested in getting the keyboard shortcuts to work, to toggle touchpad off/on, just say so...there may be times when you want it to work ?
I overlooked this. Yeah, that would be really cool. Don't know if I would use it or not but nice to have in my back pocket - thanks!

And you're welcome!
rickNS
Level 10
Level 10

Post by rickNS »

o2b wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:46 pm Howdy rickNS,
rickNS wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:51 pm Anyway, thanks for not being offended.
I overlooked this. Yeah, that would be really cool. Don't know if I would use it or not but nice to have in my back pocket - thanks!

And you're welcome!

OK first run this command,
xinput list

Code: Select all

$ xinput list
⎡ Virtual core pointer                    	id=2	[master pointer  (3)]
⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer              	id=4	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ Logitech Wireless Keyboard PID:4023     	id=9	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ Logitech Wireless Mouse                 	id=10	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ G-Tech Wireless Dongle Consumer Control 	id=13	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ G-Tech Wireless Dongle Mouse            	id=15	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint                   	id=18	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad              	id=17	[slave  pointer  (2)]
To get the ID number of your touchpad, mine is 17.

Then create the keyboard shortcuts.

In Cinnamon, Menu > Keyboard > Shortcuts
Click Add Custom Shortcut
fill in Name with toggle-TP-off
Fill in the command with xinput disable 17 (you use the id# from your machine)
Click the Add button,
Double click the unassigned, and type the shortcut I used Super (windows key) + F
Seems to me you have to do that for all 3 of the "unassigned".

Create another shortcut with the name toggle-TP-on
Fill in the command with xinput enable 17 (again use the ID you got from the xinput list command)
I used Super + N for the shortcut

The procedure is very similar on Mate desktop,
Menu > Keyboard shortcuts
Click Add, fill in the same as before,
then double click New Shortcut, and type the shortcut

Note, I understand that the ID's of a device can change when you plug in, or remove things.

Return to “Beginner Questions”