running "live", screen locked, and I "DO" need a password

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around LMDE as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums within the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rickNS
Level 10
Level 10

running "live", screen locked, and I "DO" need a password

Post by rickNS »

EDIT, Solved. I got back in by clicking on the Switch User, and from that login screen I did NOT need the password.
Now I disable screen lock in screensaver, so I can continue playing.

EDIT 2
Well, not completely solved after all, today I tried to "Open as administrator" a root owned folder, and I was asked for a password, so the question remains, what is the password for a Live LMDE 6 ? Just pressing enter does not always work.

I have read that LMDE 6 does not need a password, just press enter, that worked for installing stuff, I was just experimenting with the live system.
I left for awhile and the screen saver came on, and the screen locked, and I can not get back in without a password.
I should say that I installed the whole MATE desktop apt install mate-desktop-environment
I have tried; live, demo, user, livecd, none of those worked.

After logging out, and back into the MATE DE I did not need a password, only after the screensaver kicked in.

This is really not too important anyway, I guess I just have to install into a VM, or a partition somewhere, so this does not happen again.
Thanks,
Last edited by rickNS on Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
rickNS
Level 10
Level 10

Re: running "live", screen locked, and I "DO" need a password

Post by rickNS »

Seems at least one fellow confirms about what I'm saying, in a Ubuntu-mate live system if one creates another user, uses it, and want to switch back they will be asked for Username, AND Password,
https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/live-se ... ord/7219/5
5th post.
rickNS
Level 10
Level 10

Re: running "live", screen locked, and I "DO" need a password

Post by rickNS »

First post edited, again.
vimes666
Level 6