Make default caulculator wider ?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ItsDavid
Level 1
Level 1

Make default caulculator wider ?

Post by ItsDavid »

Hi, I used to run 20.2 Uma for a long time and I used to be able to see long calculations just by widening the app window.
After migrating to 21.3, enlarging the calculator window does not let the actual calculator display bigger, so when I perform long calculations, I have to move the slider because I cannot see the whole thing. There's so much unused space on both sides of the screen now.

I have SpeedCrunch installed as well but I'm so used to the default calculator I'd prefer to stick with it, but the inability to see the whole thing is too troublesome for me. Any solution for this ?
Attachments
calc.png
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Make default caulculator wider ?

Post by billyswong »

You may try mate-calc. It may be close enough to the default gnome-calculator for you as the former is an old fork of the later.
axrusar
Level 7
Level 7

Post by axrusar »

billyswong wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:11 am You may try mate-calc. It may be close enough to the default gnome-calculator for you as the former is an old fork of the later.
I tested in a VM with mint 21.3 and mate-calc does not even allow resizing the window.

My gnome calc in 20.3 is version 3.36. In 21.3 is 41.
Just remove it:

Code: Select all

sudo apt purge gnome-calculator
Then install the deb package for the older one:
https://packages.ubuntu.com/focal/amd64 ... r/download

Worked for me.. just ignore the warnings you get in firefox and force it to download and install.
Then someone else here may tell you how to block apt from updating it again, i dont know how.

EDIT.. i see. The update manager already shows the update to 41 is available, but you can right click it and pick ignore all future updates for it.

Linux Mint Una Cinnamon 20.3 Kernel: 5.15.x | Quad Core I7 4.2Ghz | 24GB Ram | 1TB NVMe | Intel Graphics
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

axrusar wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:25 am I tested in a VM with mint 21.3 and mate-calc does not even allow resizing the window.
Thanks for telling me. I didn't notice that quirk. Turns out mate-calc is resizable ONLY IF one enable View > History.
ItsDavid
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ItsDavid »

axrusar wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:25 am
billyswong wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:11 am You may try mate-calc. It may be close enough to the default gnome-calculator for you as the former is an old fork of the later.
I tested in a VM with mint 21.3 and mate-calc does not even allow resizing the window.

My gnome calc in 20.3 is version 3.36. In 21.3 is 41.
Just remove it:

Code: Select all

sudo apt purge gnome-calculator
Then install the deb package for the older one:
https://packages.ubuntu.com/focal/amd64 ... r/download

Worked for me.. just ignore the warnings you get in firefox and force it to download and install.
Then someone else here may tell you how to block apt from updating it again, i dont know how.

EDIT.. i see. The update manager already shows the update to 41 is available, but you can right click it and pick ignore all future updates for it.

Thank you very much axrusar, this worked.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

billyswong wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:53 am Turns out mate-calc is resizable ONLY IF one enable View > History.
Thanks for the tip about Mate's calculator. It might come in handy someday.

Return to “Software & Applications”