[RESOLVED] Dell vostro 3520 Laptop does not wake up from sleep or suspend

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
avma
Level 1
Level 1

[RESOLVED] Dell vostro 3520 Laptop does not wake up from sleep or suspend

Post by avma »

Hi,

I've installed Linux mint 21.3 single boot on the above brand new Dell Laptop (it came with win 11 pre-installed).
When I close the lid, or let it go to sleep, or click on suspend, the only way to bring it back to live is booting it by pressing and holding the on/off button for several seconds. Neither the mouse nor any keyboard key will get it out of the sleep/suspend mode.
Things I've tried so fare:
[*] Flashed the Bios to the latest version 1.22
[*] Installed all updates including drivers
[*] Looked for similar issues on the Dell Support site and browsed the internet without any fruitful result
[*] Read previous posts and recommended on this site,but I still can't get it to wake up

I can eliminate a hardware issue for sure, for this behavior did not occur on the win11 before I flashed the hard drive clean.

Here is my systems info: https://termbin.com/ok67

Please Let me know if you need any more information

Thank You
Avi
Last edited by avma on Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Dell vostro 3520 Laptop does not wake up from sleep or suspend

Post by SMG »

avma wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:01 amHere is my systems info: https://termbin.com/ok67
A 12th-gen Intel CPU needs to be using a 6 series kernel. Please upgrade to the 6.5 kernel available in Update Manager.

Instructions for upgrading to the 6.5 kernel:
  • Open Update Manager.
  • Select View > Linux Kernels and click Continue.
  • Make sure 6.5 is selected on the left panel and then click the top-most option on the right panel. An "Install" button will appear.
  • Install the kernel and then reboot for it to become active.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
avma
Level 1
Level 1

Post by avma »

Great, thanks SMG!

It looks like I'm now one step closer...
The situation after upgrading to the latest v6.5 kernel series is like so:
The screen is not dark any more when I reopen the lid and I can actually hear the 'engines hum' under the hood, but other then that keyboard keys and mouse are completely stuck. I can see the login box but cant get to it or blind type password.
Still the only way to recover is press and hold on/off button. Same goes for recovering from suspend mode. (I haven't let it go to sleep by timeout yet...)
here is a new system info link: https://termbin.com/nm7p

UPDATE:

If I leave the lid close on suspend mode the temperature rises real high!
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

avma wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:38 am Great, thanks SMG!

It looks like I'm now one step closer...
The situation after upgrading to the latest v6.5 kernel series is like so:
The screen is not dark any more when I reopen the lid and I can actually hear the 'engines hum' under the hood, but other then that keyboard keys and mouse are completely stuck. I can see the login box but cant get to it or blind type password.
Still the only way to recover is press and hold on/off button. Same goes for recovering from suspend mode.
Let's get some logs. The next time you restart after that happens, run the following:

Code: Select all

journalctl -b -1 | grep -i "drm\|i915\|00:02.0"
Hopefully, it will give some clues as to what is happening.

I checked Intel bug reports and I don't see anything with your GPU designation (Alder Lake-UP3 GT2) which sounds like your issue.
avma wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:38 amIf I leave the lid close on suspend mode the temperature rises real high!
Most computers nowadays only suspend to S2idle mode (and not S3) which leaves more hardware running. I don't know if that might be what is happening.
avma
Level 1
Level 1

Post by avma »

This is the output after clicking suspend on the Exit menu: https://termbin.com/3qf1

On Power Management settings I've changed the lid behavior to 'immediate shutdown' and all others to 'never' so to not excellently let it overheat and burn the CPU/Motherboard...
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

avma wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:07 amOn Power Management settings I've changed the lid behavior to 'immediate shutdown' and all others to 'never' so to not excellently let it overheat and burn the CPU/Motherboard...
That sounds like a good idea.

The output you posted shows a crash which involves the Intel graphics driver, but I don't know if that driver was the cause. These are the last two lines and when one sees all the packages listed, that is usually an indication of some type of code dump.

אפר 12 10:51:23 avi-Vostro-3520 kernel:  intel_powerclamp snd_intel_dspcfg coretemp snd_intel_sdw_acpi mac80211 snd_hda_codec joydev snd_hda_core snd_hwdep kvm_intel snd_pcm dell_laptop snd_seq_midi libarc4 snd_seq_midi_event kvm snd_rawmidi dell_wmi mei_hdcp mei_pxp intel_rapl_msr iwlwifi snd_seq irqbypass rapl dell_smbios snd_seq_device input_leds dcdbas snd_timer cmdlinepart dell_wmi_sysman nls_iso8859_1 intel_cstate wmi_bmof firmware_attributes_class dell_wmi_ddv serio_raw ledtrig_audio cfg80211 spi_nor dell_wmi_descriptor snd mei_me ee1004 mtd hid_multitouch processor_thermal_device_pci soundcore mei processor_thermal_device processor_thermal_rfim processor_thermal_mbox processor_thermal_rapl intel_rapl_common igen6_edac mac_hid intel_hid int3400_thermal int3403_thermal acpi_thermal_rel int340x_thermal_zone sparse_keymap acpi_pad acpi_tad sch_fq_codel msr parport_pc ppdev lp parport efi_pstore ip_tables x_tables autofs4 btrfs blake2b_generic xor raid6_pq libcrc32c dm_mirror dm_region_hash dm_log i915 drm_buddy i2c_algo_bit nvme ttm
אפר 12 10:51:23 avi-Vostro-3520 kernel:  nvme_core drm_display_helper crct10dif_pclmul nvme_common crc32_pclmul usbhid polyval_clmulni cec polyval_generic ahci hid_generic ghash_clmulni_intel rc_core libahci sha256_ssse3 sha1_ssse3 aesni_intel drm_kms_helper crypto_simd cryptd psmouse drm r8169 intel_lpss_pci i2c_i801 spi_intel_pci intel_lpss spi_intel i2c_smbus xhci_pci realtek idma64 video vmd xhci_pci_renesas i2c_hid_acpi i2c_hid hid wmi pinctrl_tigerlake z3fold lz4 lz4_compress
Based on the listed timestamps of the output, it appears you started the computer at ~10:22:59 and then woke it from sleep at ~10:51:11.

Let's try getting the last 100 lines of the prior boot cycle and see if we can determine what preceded the lines I listed above.

journalctl -b -1 | tail -n 100
Check the output and see if you can see the lines saying the system is returning from sleep such as the lines in what you just posted that happened starting at 10:51:11. If you don't see them, change the 100 to 200 and see if you can find what appears to be the "start" point of the issue. Sometimes the crashes repeatedly cycle as the system tries to recover and the logs spit out a lot of information so all I can do at this point is guess how far back you might need to go.

I did a quick check on the firmware versions listed in the output and what the latest versions are on the kernel git and there are newer ones. I don't know how applicable they might be to your system, but that is an option we can consider.
avma
Level 1
Level 1

Post by avma »

I've ran the command:

on 100 to 600 lines, also did a search on some key words taken from the two lines you've pointed out, but could not find anything resembling those lines. https://termbin.com/kbvk
Should I just do another suspend and print out the lines again? Would this help?

You are right about the kernel version, I looked it up on https://kernel.ubuntu.com/mainline/v6.8/ so there is a later version out there, however it is not showing on my Update Manager and I never updated a kernel outside of Update Manager (I wouldn't even know how to do that) but willing to take the risk with some guldens assuming it will not make it any worst. (one thing for sure I'm not going back to windows :lol: )
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

avma wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:50 pmYou are right about the kernel version, I looked it up on https://kernel.ubuntu.com/mainline/v6.8/ so there is a later version out there, however it is not showing on my Update Manager and I never updated a kernel outside of Update Manager (I wouldn't even know how to do that) but willing to take the risk with some guldens assuming it will not make it any worst. (one thing for sure I'm not going back to windows :lol: )
My comment was not about a newer kernel. It was about linux-firmware which is software that you can install separately from the kernel and that software is for specific hardware components.

There are newer mainline kernels available. Linux Mint does not use mainline kernels which is why you do not see them in Update Manager. Linux Mint uses kernels Canonical creates and maintains which are focused on providing good performance on Ubuntu (which is the base for Linux Mint).

I'll take a look at the log lines you posted and get back to you with might be a good next step in this troubleshooting process.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

avma wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:50 pm I've ran the command:

on 100 to 600 lines, also did a search on some key words taken from the two lines you've pointed out, but could not find anything resembling those lines. https://termbin.com/kbvk
The timestamp on the lines I posted above was 10:51:11 while this log output starts at 14:19:58. I had presumed those prior lines were after resuming from sleep, but now I'm not sure.

What you just posted is a normal shut down. You closed the lid and the computer did a graceful shutdown (per the setting you said you made).

אפר 12 14:59:44 avi-Vostro-3520 systemd-logind[1027]: Lid closed.
אפר 12 14:59:44 avi-Vostro-3520 systemd-logind[1027]: System is powering down.
I understood you to say if you put the computer to sleep then the only way to get the system working again was to restart the computer. I presumed you had a sleep cycle which got stuck and you had to restart and now you were on the next boot cycle. This data does not seem to indicate that is what happened. Did I misunderstand what is happening?
avma
Level 1
Level 1

Post by avma »

SMG wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:35 pm What you just posted is a normal shut down. You closed the lid and the computer did a graceful shutdown (per the setting you said you made).

אפר 12 14:59:44 avi-Vostro-3520 systemd-logind[1027]: Lid closed.
אפר 12 14:59:44 avi-Vostro-3520 systemd-logind[1027]: System is powering down.
I understood you to say if you put the computer to sleep then the only way to get the system working again was to restart the computer. I presumed you had a sleep cycle which got stuck and you had to restart and now you were on the next boot cycle. This data does not seem to indicate that is what happened. Did I misunderstand what is happening?
My bad, I might have closed the lid out of habit without even being aware of that, but now things are getting even weirder!
I've tried to reproduce the situation this morning again so the send the proper log file but something have changed and this is what happens now:

On Battery, (no A/C cable plugged in) when I press suspend on the exit menu, the screen goes black (normal behavior), after waiting 30 seconds, moving the mouse seems to recover the screen and I can actually type in my password, so fare all look normal, all my previous sessions seems to be present (Firefox, terminal...) but the moment I'm trying to to click anything, all gets stuck and the only way to recover is booting, as before, by press and fold on/off button.
looking at the log file. it is now complaining about swap and kernel:

אפר 13 08:48:32 avi-Vostro-3520 systemd-journald[371]: Missed 41 kernel messages
אפר 13 08:48:32 avi-Vostro-3520 kernel: get_swap_device: Bad swap offset entry 36e28e8ff6e68
אפר 13 08:48:32 avi-Vostro-3520 systemd-journald[371]: Missed 34 kernel messages
אפר 13 08:48:32 avi-Vostro-3520 kernel: get_swap_device: Bad swap offset entry 36e28e8ff6e68
אפר 13 08:48:32 avi-Vostro-3520 systemd-journald[371]: Missed 17 kernel messages
אפר 13 08:48:32 avi-Vostro-3520 systemd-journald[371]: Missed 27 kernel messages
The only change I made is setting GRUB to show on boot for 10s in case I'll get stuck with the new 6.5...kernel on boot so I can go back to a previous one.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

avma wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:34 amOn Battery, (no A/C cable plugged in) when I press suspend on the exit menu...
To see a difference when on battery versus being attached to the power mains has happened to others so it is possible to have different results for the two conditions. Ideally, you should not, but it is possible likely because of how the hardware is designed. It could indicate a possible hardware issue, but I have seen where BIOS/UEFI updates clear issues where there are differences between running from battery versus being attached to the power mains.
avma wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:34 am...the screen goes black (normal behavior), after waiting 30 seconds, moving the mouse seems to recover the screen and I can actually type in my password, so fare all look normal, all my previous sessions seems to be present (Firefox, terminal...) but the moment I'm trying to to click anything, all gets stuck and the only way to recover is booting, as before, by press and fold on/off button.
looking at the log file. it is now complaining about swap and kernel:

אפר 13 08:48:32 avi-Vostro-3520 systemd-journald[371]: Missed 41 kernel messages
אפר 13 08:48:32 avi-Vostro-3520 systemd-journald[371]: Missed 34 kernel messages
אפר 13 08:48:32 avi-Vostro-3520 systemd-journald[371]: Missed 17 kernel messages
אפר 13 08:48:32 avi-Vostro-3520 systemd-journald[371]: Missed 27 kernel messages
The only change I made is setting GRUB to show on boot for 10s in case I'll get stuck with the new 6.5...kernel on boot so I can go back to a previous one.
I searched on the bad swap offset message and found this ArchLinux topic spammed with kernel: get_swap_device: Bad swap file entry [SOLVED] where the OP found memory errors when they ran memtest.

Sleep/suspend is saving to RAM so definitely check the memory.

There is also this Logs files filled with "get_swap_device: Bad swap file entry"SOLVED where the person found their system was trying to hibernate when running on battery and suspend. That's the first time I've heard of such a thing, but if the memory checks out okay, that is something to consider.
avma
Level 1
Level 1

Post by avma »

Just regenerated the swap file following instructions on the link you've shared, so it seems like that issue is now gone.
Now back to the suspend issue...
On Battery, clicked Suspend (about 17:26), (left the lid open this time) 5 minutes later after long press and hold system rebooted and here is the new output log:https://termbin.com/ear4
PS: I do not see the reboot 5 min later, file ends at about 17:28 although I set it to 15,000 lines, is this normal?.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

avma wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:01 amNow back to the suspend issue...
On Battery, clicked Suspend (about 17:26), (left the lid open this time) 5 minutes later after long press and hold system rebooted
So you didn't try waking it from suspend?
On my laptop, a short press wakes it from suspend. A long press and hold would reboot the laptop.
avma wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:01 am and here is the new output log:https://termbin.com/ear4
PS: I do not see the reboot 5 min later, file ends at about 17:28 although I set it to 15,000 lines, is this normal?.
If you are running the query for b -1, then you are asking for the information from the prior boot cycle. That means you would not see it restarting after you killed power to the system. The restart happens on the b (present) boot cycle.

It appears you put the computer to sleep hitting the power button.

אפר 13 17:26:09 avi-Vostro-3520 systemd-logind[1030]: Power key pressed.
Towards the end of what you posted I see lines about "standby power mode".

17:26:47 אפר 13 avi-Vostro-3520 kernel: ata1.00: Entering standby power mode
אפר 13 17:27:22 avi-Vostro-3520 kernel: ata1: SATA link up 6.0 Gbps (SStatus 133 SControl 300)
אפר 13 17:27:22 avi-Vostro-3520 kernel: ata1.00: Entering active power mode
When I searched on "standby power mode" I found references to what I understand to be Microsoft's S2idle mode (a version of suspend/sleep which puts less hardware to sleep so it makes you believe the computer is resuming from suspend faster than it did in the past). Full sleep mode is usually S3.

Based on those three lines, it appears the hard drive is waking the system? :?

The last lines are a bit confusing because it indicates the system went back to standby mode (after asking for a password and not getting anything :?: ), but the very next line is a UFW block message which indicates a live network connection. Is there a "wake on lan" setting in your computer's BIOS/UEFI?
avma
Level 1
Level 1

Post by avma »

SMG wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:42 pm So you didn't try waking it from suspend?
On my laptop, a short press wakes it from suspend. A long press and hold would reboot the laptop.
As I mentioned on previous messages, the keyboard is completely nonfunctional, the only way to recover from this state is a long press on the power button, short press does not wake the laptop (this is a part of the problem).
SMG wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:42 pm It appears you put the computer to sleep hitting the power button.
Yes, I was not aware suspending from the menu or power button makes a difference, to be consistent in troubleshooting this issue I'll suspend from menu before posting a new output.
SMG wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:42 pm Towards the end of what you posted I see lines about "standby power mode".

אפר 13 17:27:22 avi-Vostro-3520 kernel: ata1: SATA link up 6.0 Gbps (SStatus 133 SControl 300)
When I searched on "standby power mode" I found references to what I understand to be Microsoft's S2idle mode (a version of suspend/sleep which puts less hardware to sleep so it makes you believe the computer is resuming from suspend faster than it did in the past). Full sleep mode is usually S3.
I found this on the documentation:
Standby power
Dell products with standby power must be unplugged before you open the case. Systems that incorporate standby power are
essentially powered while turned off. The internal power enables the system to be remotely turned on (wake on LAN) and
suspended into a sleep mode and has other advanced power management features.
Unplugging, pressing, and holding the power button for 15 seconds should discharge residual power in the system board.
This make sense for this laptop came out of the box (OEM) with Windows 11 preinstalled, I looked at the BIOS and found a few Microsoft specific items, but haven't change anything.
SMG wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:42 pm
SMG wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:42 pm The last lines are a bit confusing because it indicates the system went back to standby mode (after asking for a password and not getting anything :?: ), but the very next line is a UFW block message which indicates a live network connection. Is there a "wake on lan" setting in your computer's BIOS/UEFI?
Browsing through the BIOS options, I found nothing like wake-on-lan or from hard drive (there is something named PXE with boot capability that is clicked on.). Ther is though a "Block Sleep" (aka deep sleep )option in the BIOS which is currently off, to my understanding the description its purpose is to prevent going to sleep farther then S3. Here is a 'mugshot' of that section:https://imgur.com/Qu13wxK

This New Output: https://termbin.com/6urz (suspend from menu) shows something similar, suspend at 15:39:21, then 5 minutes later at 15:43:05 UFW kicks in and stuff starts happening in the background until I tried to wake it up like 15 minutes later. :roll:
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

avma wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:43 amThere is though a "Block Sleep" (aka deep sleep )option in the BIOS which is currently off, to my understanding the description its purpose is to prevent going to sleep farther then S3. Here is a 'mugshot' of that section:https://imgur.com/Qu13wxK
I would interpret that to mean it prevents from going to S3 (if it is turned on). S3 is full sleep while S2idle keeps more items powered. However, the log you just posted specifically mentions going into S2idle mode. Maybe this is not working properly?

Microsoft came up with S2idle a number of years back to make it seem like the computer was resuming from sleep faster when in reality less items were put to sleep in the first place so they didn't have to "resume from sleep". Doing S2idle drains the battery faster. People would put their computer to sleep at night and in the morning the computer would be dead because S2idle consumed so much more energy.
avma wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:43 am This New Output: https://termbin.com/6urz (suspend from menu) shows something similar, suspend at 15:39:21, then 5 minutes later at 15:43:05 UFW kicks in and stuff starts happening in the background until I tried to wake it up like 15 minutes later. :roll:
It looks like you put the computer to sleep at 15:39:15.
Reached target sleep at 15:39:21.
It hit PM: suspend entry (s2idle) at 15:39:22.
Then at 15:39:26 "Entering active power mode:" because the sata link woke. And "System returned from sleep state" and "PM: suspend exit" are listed a few messages later.

Then there is this

15:39:28  systemd-sleep[15723]:  setting standby to 36 (3 minutes)
which my searches seem to indicate is a message to put the system to standby(sleep) in three minutes. That doesn't match up with anything I'm seeing in your log output, but what I'm seeing in the log output isn't what I would normally see so I'm not sure what is happening. :mrgreen: (See this Fedora thread for a background discussion of some of these terms What’s the command to set the system to standby mode after a specific time?. )

The drive is "active" five minutes later.

15:44:28 kernel: ata1.00: Entering active power mode
then 20 seconds later it goes to "standby power mode".

And when you tried to wake it (technically it was already awake) is when the RIP and Call Traces happened. Those are signs of instability in the system. They are often crashes of some type. In this case, I'm not specifically sure what is tripping them. However, it seems your computer is not properly sleeping so they could be side effects of that.

Is it under warranty that you could ask Dell support what settings in BIOS/UEFI are needed to put it to sleep when using a Linux-based distro? Or ask what the "Block Sleep" setting is supposed to do?
avma
Level 1
Level 1

Post by avma »

SMG wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:28 pm Is it under warranty that you could ask Dell support what settings in BIOS/UEFI are needed to put it to sleep when using a Linux-based distro? Or ask what the "Block Sleep" setting is supposed to do?
Yes it is, Purchased it some ten days ago after my 7 years old dell latitude battery completely dried out (RIP), to replace it they would charge almost a third of what this one cost...

From seeking help on their support Chanel It quite obvious they are more Microsoft oriented and there is little to none Linux stuff out there, but it is worth to try.
Would you mind helping me phrase (in technical terms) what exactly I need from them? this might help them to better understand the issue and focus on the real problem (for some of the answers I've seen reading were kinda BS :mrgreen:). TY
avma
Level 1
Level 1

Post by avma »

When I searched on "standby power mode" I found references

ata1.00: is sda on my LT a 500gb ssd. It is actually my secondary HD that i solely use for system snapshots by TimeShift. I was thinking maybe it triggers the HD during suspend, is that even possible?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

avma wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:42 amFrom seeking help on their support Chanel It quite obvious they are more Microsoft oriented and there is little to none Linux stuff out there, but it is worth to try.
Would you mind helping me phrase (in technical terms) what exactly I need from them? this might help them to better understand the issue and focus on the real problem (for some of the answers I've seen reading were kinda BS :mrgreen:). TY
I would ask for more clarification on what Block Sleep means. Tell them you put the computer to sleep, but it is showing it went to S2idle mode and you want S3 mode. Ask how to do S3 mode.
avma wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:03 am

When I searched on "standby power mode" I found references

ata1.00: is sda on my LT a 500gb ssd. It is actually my secondary HD that i solely use for system snapshots by TimeShift. I was thinking maybe it triggers the HD during suspend, is that even possible?
I don't know. I suppose it depends on how the hardware is designed as to whether or not it can do that.
avma
Level 1
Level 1

Post by avma »

All back to normal!
I tested each functionality several times and it's all working now.
The problem was in the BIOS settings. RAID was on rather then ACHI. (I sow that while browsing the BIOS but dared not change it reading the very scary warning about all the bad thing it might cause if I do.)
Now both Suspend and Sleep works properly. Recovering by mouse motion or any keyboard stroke. Close/Open the Lid also functions properly.

Thank you for all your help.
Avi

PS: Dell support advised Installing Ubuntu... :oops:
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

avma wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:55 am All back to normal!
I tested each functionality several times and it's all working now.
The problem was in the BIOS settings. RAID was on rather then ACHI. (I sow that while browsing the BIOS but dared not change it reading the very scary warning about all the bad thing it might cause if I do.)
Looking back at the system information you posted, you didn't post the complete output that normally shows in the System Reports app (in the System Information section). I seem to recall that output usually mentions if one is using ACHI mode.

What you posted has less details and the vmd driver is a normal driver to use so nothing there caught my attention.

RAID:
  Hardware-1: Intel Volume Management Device NVMe RAID Controller driver: vmd
    v: 0.6 bus-ID: 0000:00:0e.0
avma wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:55 am Now both Suspend and Sleep works properly. Recovering by mouse motion or any keyboard stroke. Close/Open the Lid also functions properly.
So perhaps that other drive was waking it.
avma wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:55 amPS: Dell support advised Installing Ubuntu... :oops:
Dell had many of their computers (laptops and desktops) Ubuntu certified so they likely have support folks who handle Ubuntu related issues. That is likely why they made that recommendation.

Return to “Other topics”