Problems in background color of letters of icons on Desktop - Desktop in Cinnamon 21.3 - Solved

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mauro
Level 1
Level 1

Problems in background color of letters of icons on Desktop - Desktop in Cinnamon 21.3 - Solved

Post by Mauro »

Hello, I'm new to the forum, I searched and I can't find anything related to the subject, I've been using Cinnamon for a few months now, I'm currently in 21.3 and it happens that, having an icon on the desktop, the color of the letter is white and when I want to rename the file the background color is also white making it difficult to read or position the cursor. Is there any way to change the background from white to another color that contrasts the color of the letter? I attach three images where you can see without renaming, wanting to rename it with the whole word painted and already editing the name of the word where it makes it difficult to read the character that is being modified.
Sorry, my native language is Spanish and I use an online translator.

Thank you very much!

Last edited by Mauro on Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sebastjava
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Problems in background color of letters of icons on Desktop - Desktop in Cinnamon 21.3

Post by sebastjava »

I think that issue is probably caused by your Applications theme (GTK theme).

Try another set of selections in Menu > Preferences > Themes... (Advanced settings...)

Themes.png

Also, I'd suggest you go to Menu > Preferences > Font Selection and choose a bold font for your desktop font. Desktop file names will be more readable...
The future Linux Mint Forums is here.
Self-Appointed Benevolent Designer on Linux Mint Cinnamon.
Mauro
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Problems in background color of letters of icons on Desktop - Desktop in Cinnamon 21.3

Post by Mauro »

You are right, the problem happens with the Theme "Adwaita-dark".
I have changed for example "Mint-Y-Dark" and the problem no longer occurs.

Thank you very much!
sebastjava
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sebastjava »

Are you looking for a better theme ? Try Materia ! I've just found it in the Software Manager. Just search for "materia gtk".

Click to enlarge...
Click to enlarge...

It now supports GTK 2, GTK 3, GTK 4, GNOME Shell, Budgie, Cinnamon, MATE, Unity, Xfce, LightDM, GDM, Chrome theme, etc.

Please read the recommandations: https://github.com/nana-4/materia-theme#recommendations

I've just started using it. So far so good... But not perfect. I keep Mint-Y-Dark-Orange for the desktop. Check my previous screenshot...

Sorry for this "publicity stunt"... But that's not self-promotion, I'm just a simple user of this GTK theme. I had that feeling that you were looking for something else, and I sincerely think that you might like this Materia.
sebastjava
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sebastjava »

...And it comes with many variants, including dark ones.
Mauro
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mauro »

I will take a look at it.

Thank you very much!
zukester0760
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zukester0760 »

This doers not change the color of the text of the actual icons on the desktop. I have white background, and the icons have white text, and I want to change the text to black. Where and how do I do this?

Desktop icon text only. The rest are black text already now, just not the desktop icon text.

Using Adwaita, and every other one I tried does not have a light set of menu bars, etc. I do not want dark backgrounds, menus, etc. Just the text on the desktop icons. Thanks

Zukester
michael-hi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by michael-hi »

For that you could add the following text to a file in your home folder at ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css Make sure your file manager is set to show hidden files (those beginning with a dot) and create the gtk.css file if it does not already exist. This should then override the desktop icon font colour for your theme. Log out and back in again to check if it works.

Code: Select all

.nemo-desktop.nemo-canvas-item {
    color: #000000;
}
#000000 is the hex code for black but you could make it any colour.

Some themes with light text have a dark shadow so that the text is legible to some extent even if the background is light. If you want to disable any text shadow you could try adding an extra line:

Code: Select all

.nemo-desktop.nemo-canvas-item {
    color: #000000;
    text-shadow: none;
}

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”