I finally moved over to Mint.

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Goz
Level 3
Level 3

I finally moved over to Mint.

Post by Goz »

I've been a Linux user for near about 20 years. Ubunu's snaps and the direction I feel Ubuntu is moving in is a tad worrisome to me. Anyway,not going into that kettle of fish.
With the encouragement of my friend e2 at Linux Internationals,I decided to dip my toes in the Mint ecosystem. Cinnamon is enough like MATE that I found I like the desktop....Yeah,it's nice. What I really like is the workspaces. :mrgreen: When I log in,,it shows workspace 1 and my Telagram app to e2 and then, in an eye blink,it jumps to workspace 3 and loads Firefox. I really enjoy watching this and don't have to touch anything! That's pure geeky entertainment there! 8)
Anyway, It has really grown on me,so I decided to stop lurking here and post.
Think of Windows 10 as Hotel California for computers.
eu2
Level 3
Level 3

Re: I finally moved over to Mint.

Post by eu2 »

Full disclosure, I'm that e2 and have been an online friend for 15+ years.

I gave Goz a horrendous hack that works well enough as Goz likes firefox to open on workspace 3; (not specifically workspace 3, but the same workspace in a repeatable manner).

It's basically a bash script that is launched a few seconds after login which opens workspace 3 then launches firefox, hence the blink of an eye comment.
I got that to work on a vm first and it kinda looks quite cool/quirky, but it's a hack.

I'm guessing there is a much better way to force apps to launch on certain workspaces, (most likely not for this section of chat).

Goz was really happy with Mate, but sadly due to vision issues and Mate not really working regarding fractional scaling, I pointed Goz to Cinnamon.

Anyway Goz is awesome and I'm glad to see Goz posting here.
ScubaMan-1970
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ScubaMan-1970 »

I tried Mint 14.x and got frustrated with it. So I kept at Win7 and then 10. My HP Deskpro 6200 was getting sluggish with that OS and I chose to give Mint another try. It's a different beast (from 14)! And I'm pleased it is giving my rig a new lease on life.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
North Bruce Peninsula, Ontario, Canada; https://blackcat.blog/
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

eu2 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:00 pm Goz was really happy with Mate, but sadly due to vision issues and Mate not really working regarding fractional scaling, I pointed Goz to Cinnamon.
Don't if it will help, but have a look at vmg (virtual magnifying glass), install from software manager.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Goz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Goz »

AndyMH wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:57 pm
Don't if it will help, but have a look at vmg (virtual magnifying glass), install from software manager.
Naw,I just ctrl scroll.
Think of Windows 10 as Hotel California for computers.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”