Suspend /Hibernate - Why do people use it?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Hawaiihemd
Level 4
Level 4

Suspend /Hibernate - Why do people use it?

Post by Hawaiihemd »

Hey guys,

almost daily, I see people in these forums complain about suspending /hibernating the system not working properly.

I gave it some serious thought but TBH, I just don't get it.
With SSDs/NVMEs and the corresponding boot times why on earth do people still (try to) do that?

If any of you would share your views, I would be very interested.

Thanks all.
Last edited by LockBot on Thu May 16, 2024 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Suspend /Hibernate - Why do people use it?

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

In the case of Hibernate, one use would be when using a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply), if the power goes out while the computer is running but is not attended at the time, some UPSes have the ability to safely shut down the computer for you. They do that by Hibernating the computer which prevents the loss of any unsaved data.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I personally, turn all that crap off.
it is nothing but a Quagmire of potential problems.

cold start to desktop in 28 seconds,
why risk a Suspend or Hibernate issue?
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Raycoupe
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Raycoupe »

They want to get back to their computer just as they left it. Have open program windows with their preferred sizes and locations, etc.

You could auto start a bunch of programs, but most programs don't remember their last window size and location.
I do auto start my FF and it does remember window size and location (and last open windows).
Hardware, operating systems, software and networking are are nothing else than necessary, cumbersome and easily replaceable evils to store and provide data. Triple backup your data at least, twice on-site, and another copy off-site.
dave0808
Level 6
Level 6

Post by dave0808 »

I don't use hibernate, only suspend. Maybe I'm going for lunch or whatever, I want to restart where I left off, so I suspend. It saves a bit of power and therefore money, and it stops the room getting hotter.
CloneWerks
Level 3
Level 3

Post by CloneWerks »

Suspend. Finish a meeting (or a site visit), close the laptop and it suspends and into the carry case it goes. Off to the next location, pull it out, open it up and I'm right there.

"Just a minute or two" doesn't seem long... until you have a company Exec or very worked up business owner hoovering over your shoulder.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

I don't like hibernation as well but if a system is encrypted its LUKS keys are left in the open both in suspend-to-ram and screen lock state. So hibernation with encrypted swap may be a solution to the problem.
-=t42=-
wwblm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by wwblm »

I use suspend. Have several work-spaces setup and it is just nice to open my laptop and have everything just the way I left it. Sure it only takes about 30 seconds or so from a power on and maybe a minute or two to get everything back the way I want it. It's really more of a convenience than a time saver. I typically don't power down or restart unless an upgrade requires it. I do however, quit and re-open Firefox at least daily as it is such a memory hog if left to it's own devices and it only takes a few seconds to quit, open again, and restore previous session.
trike lady
Level 2
Level 2

Post by trike lady »

I don't use either one, I just shut it down when I'm done and later on I'll just restart and go from there.
Dell E6530 with LM20.3 Cinnamon
Dell E6410 with W7
Dell E6510 retired
Dell E6440 with LM21.3 Cinnamon
fstjohn
Level 5
Level 5

Post by fstjohn »

dave0808 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:24 am I don't use hibernate, only suspend. Maybe I'm going for lunch or whatever, I want to restart where I left off, so I suspend. It saves a bit of power and therefore money, and it stops the room getting hotter.
Agreed. My desktop is in my bedroom. The system including two monitors, modem, router, a couple external HD's, VOIP ATA, a Captel phone (I'm almost deaf) and UPS all combined give off a good amount of heat. I turn off the monitors and go to standby at night. Used to leave everything running 24/7 for years until electricity kept going up.
diyliberty
Level 3
Level 3

Post by diyliberty »

I use hibernate, especially on my laptop. In suspend the system state is still kept in RAM so a small amount of power must be applied to keep the RAM energized or else you lose the system state. Any interruption in power will cause a loss of the system state. With hibernate the system state is saved to disk and then the computer shuts down completely. A hibernated system can be left that way for days or even weeks, then restored right back to the way ti was when hibernated. A hibernated system does not draw any additional power to maintain its state.

On my laptop I take notes, hibernate during a break, then resume when the break is over without losing anything and without draining the battery. Yes, I know I can shut it down and it only takes a few seconds to start back up. That is a few seconds to restart, plus a few more to start up the note taking program and then a few more to load the notes that I was taking, and then a few more seconds to go back to the exact spot where I was taking notes, which is not always the end of the notes. Instead I can hibernate, then resume. Everything is exactly as I left it.

BTW, if you have ever seen a roll top desk, then you saw the old fashioned way of "saving your desktop". People would do their work on their desk, then at the end of the day they would roll the top down to preserve everything as they left it. The next day when they returned to work they would roll the top back up and resume exactly where they left off. Some of them were even locking.

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

diyliberty wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:55 am ...Image
I have friends who have a desk that's almost identical to that one.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
billyswong
Level 9
Level 9

Post by billyswong »

t42 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:53 am I don't like hibernation as well but if a system is encrypted its LUKS keys are left in the open both in suspend-to-ram and screen lock state. So hibernation with encrypted swap may be a solution to the problem.
Does Linux Mint provide such setup automatically? It seems the hibernation function has been disabled by default now. "ecryptfs" being designed to forfeit all protections after login and before shutdown is another pain point, for people who don't want to encrypt their whole disk.
ScubaMan-1970
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ScubaMan-1970 »

I had a helluva time making *suspend* work on my HP Deskpro 6200 using Windows 10... so I gave up on it. I chose not to flash the BIOS and just lived with it. I'm having more success with Mint 21.3 (Mate)... yes, *sleep* doesn't seem to be an option for me, however, *suspend* is now rock solid on this OS. Why do I use *suspend*... I have flaky power supplies here on the peninsula... with Georgina Bay on 1 side and Lake Huron on the other side. When the next outage happens, let's see how the UPS responds to this OS...
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
North Bruce Peninsula, Ontario, Canada; https://blackcat.blog/
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
RollyShed
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RollyShed »

diyliberty wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:55 amBTW, if you have ever seen a roll top desk,
We have had to repair a few over the past year or so.

Suspend, Hibernate, use neither, it is either Off or On. Off totally each night.

Return to “Open Chat”