Burmese Keyboard

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
DarkHorus
Level 1
Level 1

Burmese Keyboard

Post by DarkHorus »

Local Language Typing Issue

Hello Everyone. I am a Linux Mint User from Myanmar. I switched to Linux from Windows couple of years ago and I am enjoying it.
But I have some problem about typing in Myanmar Language.

The Current Burmese Unicode Keyboard Linux Mint is providing is in Phonetic Order which is different from real world writing.

For Example If I want to write

နေကောင်းလား

I have to type in this order

‌န -> ‌ေ -> က -> ‌ေ -> ာ-> င -> ်-> း-> လ-> ာ -> း

which can be inefficient because I have to type the alphabet first.

The Correct Order is

‌ေ -> န ->‌ေ -> က -> ာ-> င -> ်-> း-> လ-> ာ -> း .

Windows give two options for Burmese Keyboard which is Phonetic order (The First Order in Example) and Visual Order(The Second Order in Example).

I can achieve the visual order style typing by using Ibus with keyman burmese keyboard but some appimages I am using are not configured correctly to receive input from ibus. I also can't compile appimages with Ibus Support by myself because of dependencies problems (I don't have enough knowledge).

The Phonetic Order is like the old school keyboard almost nobody in Myanmar is using right now.

So I hope Linux Mint will give Windows Visual Order equivalent keyboard option so I don't have to type the alphabet first (which decrease my workflow really bad.)
vimes666
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Burmese Keyboard

Post by vimes666 »

When I try to add Burmese to my pc via menu>preferences>keyboard>layouts>add>Myanmar I get the choice between two language variants, Burmese and Burmese Zawgyi. Is that maybe what you are looking for? (I do not know Burmese).
DarkHorus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DarkHorus »

Zawgyi is a Non-Unicode typeface which was widely used before Myanmar Unicode was ready.
Most of the system don't use zawgyi system nowadays.

Myanmar Unicode has two types of keyboards - Phonetic Order and Visual Order.
Phonetic Order is used in early days of myanmar unicode. But the typing order is not the same as realworld writing.

So most people use visual order keyboard.

Linux mint provides burmese (Unicode - Phonetic Order) and burmese zawgyi (non-unicode).

We need burmese (Unicode - Visual Order) keyboard.

https://thanlwinsoft.github.io/www.than ... Intro.html
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

this would typically require someone, that is both conservant with the correct Burmese Keyboard,
and is able to write that programing code to achieve that requirement.

plus - at either the Debian system level OR the Ubuntu system level,
& Not at the LinuxMint system level, either.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
DarkHorus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DarkHorus »

Pierre wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 6:59 am this would typically require someone, that is both conservant with the correct Burmese Keyboard,
and is able to write that programing code to achieve that requirement.

plus - at either the Debian system level OR the Ubuntu system level,
& Not at the LinuxMint system level, either.
I also thought this would be more of Debian/Ubuntu thing than Linux Mint.

Using burmese keyboard with IBus is the solution I got so far. Currently I typed in the text editor first and copy-pasting into the app I use.

It would be more easy to request AppImage Providers to include IBus support.

Thanks for the awareness. This can be considered as an issue but also not an issue :)
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

To get a new keyboard layout upstream, one may go to https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xkeyboar ... g/-/issues

That project is where Linux computers handle keyboard layouts when not running extra IME. I don't know if their software design is capable of a "visual order" Burmese script typing, but no harm asking.

p.s. One can't type Chinese or Japanese without a sophisticated IME. So I agree that it is the appimage provider that should do the fixing.
DarkHorus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DarkHorus »

billyswong wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:23 pm To get a new keyboard layout upstream, one may go to https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xkeyboar ... g/-/issues

That project is where Linux computers handle keyboard layouts when not running extra IME. I don't know if their software design is capable of a "visual order" Burmese script typing, but no harm asking.

p.s. One can't type Chinese or Japanese without a sophisticated IME. So I agree that it is the appimage provider that should do the fixing.
Thanks for the advice. Definitely check it out.
ant21
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ant21 »

DarkHorus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DarkHorus »

ant21 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 11:28 pm You can reference this video and link
https://keymagic.net/installation/linux/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzYfwAN ... ngerReview
Thanks for the advice

As i mentioned, i can use keyman or keymagic keyboard with ibus to solve the problem.
But, some appimage I am using are not configured correctly to receive inputs from ibus. That's why i suggest to add native burmese keyboard with correct typing order.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”